I needed a phone today not yesterday. I was getting the run around with LG on my Nexus 4. So I go to Verizon and get a moto X good phone so far my question is this, I paid the 199 plus tax for 2 yrs, if i want to pay the phone off can i do that? The reason I'm asking is i couldn't pay for the phone str8 out today but i can next week,
    09-12-2013 09:43 PM
    I needed a phone today not yesterday. I was getting the run around with LG on my Nexus 4. So I go to Verizon and get a moto X good phone so far my question is this, I paid the 199 plus tax for 2 yrs, if i want to pay the phone off can i do that? The reason I'm asking is i couldn't pay for the phone str8 out today but i can next week,
    Call Verizon and ask.
    oldskoolsc likes this.
    09-12-2013 09:44 PM
    Maybe if you switch to the Verizon Edge program.

Sent from my Moto X
    oldskoolsc likes this.
    09-12-2013 10:02 PM
    No sure what u mean. Why would u want to pay off a phone on Verizon? The Nexus 4 isn't even available on Verizon. What are you going to benefit by paying off the phone. I'm confused, sorry.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    09-12-2013 10:14 PM
    No sure what u mean. Why would u want to pay off a phone on Verizon? The Nexus 4 isn't even available on Verizon. What are you going to benefit by paying off the phone. I'm confused, sorry.

I'm pretty sure Verizon has to let you out of contract if you fully pay off the phone, although I'm not sure they may have changed that policy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    oldskoolsc likes this.
    09-12-2013 11:21 PM
    My previous phone was a nexus 4, had problems with LG getting it fixed, Went to Verizon and got the Moto X, i just wanted to know if i could go back in there within 14 days and just pay for the phone str8 out and do month to month that's all i wanted to know.
    09-13-2013 12:16 AM
    So you want to cancel your contract basically b4 your 14 day return is up get your 199 back then sign back up and buy the phone full retail? I don't see why they wouldn't do it. If they won't and ur in your 14 days u can just cut and run.

Posted via Android Central App
    qxr and oldskoolsc like this.
    09-13-2013 12:32 AM
    I'm must be having a brain fart here. I'm still not sure why you would want to cancel your contract buy returning your phone within 14 days and then rebuy the phone. I really don't think Verizon is gonna give you a month to month contract plan like that, just cause your phone is technically ours. Currently Verizon will allow you to purchase your phone at full retail only so u don't lose your unlimited data plan. Even that I think their cutting off soon. The only real way is to purchase a plan like the pay as you go... But that type doesn't support LTE. The other way is to sign up for two years and let it run its course. At the end of two years then your month to month. Regardless if you own the phone outright I still believe they will charge you a ETF if you keep they phone longer then 14 days cause at that point your locked into a contract, it's factored into their plans. They don't care weather the phone is paid off or not. Unless your on their new edge plan. Why do you think Verizon has so much money. Cause they rape their customers.

oldskoolsc likes this.
    09-14-2013 04:44 PM
    I'm pretty sure Verizon has to let you out of contract if you fully pay off the phone, although I'm not sure they may have changed that policy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    If your in the Verizon Edge program then maybe. Their normal plans don't care if the phone is paid off. They will still charge you and ETF because the ETF is on the cost of the plan, not the cost of the phone. ETF is prorated on the length of your contract.
    So to say if I bought a droid RAZR off of eBay, get a contract with Verizon and wanna leave in 4 months there going to charge me an ETF prorated upon 350$

09-14-2013 04:54 PM
    Just call them and ask because everyone here is speculating

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4
    qxr and oldskoolsc like this.
    09-14-2013 05:19 PM

Best answer I've heard all day

oldskoolsc likes this.
    09-14-2013 05:21 PM
    My previous phone was a nexus 4, had problems with LG getting it fixed, Went to Verizon and got the Moto X, i just wanted to know if i could go back in there within 14 days and just pay for the phone str8 out and do month to month that's all i wanted to know.
    Yes. If it's past 14 days, you can pay the ETF and go to month to month. If its before 14, you can cancel and restart.

Not anymore
    oldskoolsc likes this.
    09-14-2013 06:17 PM

I'm not speculating. That's how it is. Your going to pay an ETF if your not on the edge program.

09-14-2013 07:38 PM
    I'm not speculating. That's how it is. Your going to pay an ETF if your not on the edge program.

Not if you're within the 14 days of purchasing the first phone. If you've had a contract and it finished and you buy a phone outright instead of upgrading and signing a new contract there would be no etf...

oldskoolsc likes this.
    09-14-2013 08:16 PM

Last time I was speculating I went home with $200 in gold
    09-14-2013 08:30 PM
    I'm not sure why you would want to pay full retail. If you're worried about being stuck in a contract, put the money away into savings that you would have spent on your phone at full retail and then pay the termination fee if you want to leave. You'll certainly come out better financially than if you pay full retail and do month-to-month. Even if you cancelled immediately following the 14 day return period, your total out of pocket for the phone would have been $550, $200 (initial payment) + $350 (termination fee). Buying full retail would cost $600. The termination fee will go down $10 for every month.
    oldskoolsc likes this.
    09-14-2013 08:34 PM
    I'm not sure why you would want to pay full retail. If you're worried about being stuck in a contract, put the money away into savings that you would have spent on your phone at full retail and then pay the termination fee if you want to leave. You'll certainly come out better financially than if you pay full retail and do month-to-month. Even if you cancelled immediately following the 14 day return period, your total out of pocket for the phone would have been $550, $200 (initial payment) + $350 (termination fee). Buying full retail would cost $600. The termination fee will go down $10 for every month.
    This. Contracts suck but if you're in a situation where you're happy with a carrier then I see nothing wrong with taking a subsidized phone and saving up the ETF in case you need it. Good thing about doing that is that you have the cash saved up for the next device that comes along after 2 years.

09-16-2013 08:04 AM
    Last week I tried to supply my own 4G LTE Verizon phone and start a month to month plan. Verizon would not allow it. You can only go month to month one of two ways.
    1. Let your contract run its course, then you will be month to month.
    2. Use a 3G only phone to do a prepaid month to month plan.
    09-16-2013 03:15 PM
    Last week I tried to supply my own 4G LTE Verizon phone and start a month to month plan. Verizon would not allow it. You can only go month to month one of two ways.
    1. Let your contract run its course, then you will be month to month.
    2. Use a 3G only phone to do a prepaid month to month plan.
    How utterly ridiculous. I would have made sure everyone knew they were losing a customer because of such a ridiculous policy.

09-16-2013 03:20 PM
    How utterly ridiculous. I would have made sure everyone knew they were losing a customer because of such a ridiculous policy.

Yup, after 11 years with Verizon I'm on ATT now. ATT isn't any better, but at least I can get better phones now.

09-16-2013 04:33 PM
    Yup, after 11 years with Verizon I'm on ATT now. ATT isn't any better, but at least I can get better phones now.

Reasons of ridiculousness are why I'm with Verizon and no longer with ATT. If I didn't need a solid network, I'd be with T-Mobile.
    GMC MaXx likes this.
    09-16-2013 08:33 PM