My 2 weeks with the Moto X

Kamron Erani

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey Ladies & Gents! I returned my moto X a couple days ago and the tears just halted so I might as well write up my experience...

Design/Build
I was not impressed holding the device for the first time. My hands were uncomfortable and blocked a portion of the screen. It took me time to relearn how to hold the device but when i did...my god. I really appreciated every aspect of the design especially that dimple on the back. I loved holding the phone, in fact whenever I was walking to classes I always held my phone (when I wasn't using it) unlike other devices where I would drop it in my pocket and forget about it. The Moto X made me enjoy holding a phone (again, not using, just holding). On the more negative note, when using the phone I found that it would slip easily from my hand, this is the first phone I have ever used that has slipped, but it could have been a stage in my cell phone holding lessons. Build quality was ok but nothing extraordinary, I cannot vouch for the durability of the device since I did not drop it, however the power button felt a little loose compared to the volume buttons. I wouldn't be surprised if that was just a faulty model I got though. The Moto X is most definitely a good looking device and one that deserves the premium status.

Overall - 8.5/10

Screen
I can't notice a difference between 720p and 1080p..... then again I don't notice a difference from 480 to 1080...... my eye sight is nothing to brag about.

Overall - 10/10 :D

Speed
I read reviews before checking out the device and was aware that people have been defending the Moto X in the sense that it outperforms some of those high-specd phones. I have to admit it is hard to go out and buy a device with lower specs even though you know it is faster... I am aware that the Moto X is more optimized, but spending money on components that are, how do you explain it, outdated? I honestly felt a bit crappy paying so much for so little. Why couldnt Motorola just say it is a 5ghz quad-core? I would have believed them, it performs that fast anyways. If you are like me and really wanted to like this device but can't wrap your head around paying so much for so little please read this next sentence very carefully. THIS PHONE IS FAST, DO NOT WORRY. I like to think that qualcomm took the s4 pro and modified it into a processor so powerful only the Moto X could conceive, but due to regulations and stuff it has to keep the name "s4 pro" rather than its project name "Snapdragon S4800 Platinum Pro Series - X". The phone blew through everything I threw at it.

The phone is fast.

I also LOVE how motorola thought ahead and included a modified TRIM support. Thank the lord my phone IS and ALWAYS will be faster than that one samsung g2 phone.

Overall - 10/10

Quick Capture - or whatever the hell it's called
This feature is bitchin'! I have to admit this is a feature I didn't think would impress me, sure I would use it, but is it really faster than methods other phones have? Surprisingly I would say so. Using it right out of the box was a problem, I found myself having troubles with it, it didn't like me and I didn't like it. I only got it to activate 20% of the times I tried. Fortunately it got better overtime and I was able to get it working each time, it just took practice! So how is it faster than other phones? It became a second nature to me, when there was a shot I needed fast I found myself activating the camera while I was taking it out of my pocket, and it was ready to go before I even lifted it to my face. It is hard to type it, but I basically got the camera started before I could lift my hand up.

Overall - 10/10 (THIS IS NOT A GIMMICK!)

-------------------
Sorry guys, I started this review a little late and am too tired to continue, I will be adding a lot more sections. Right now I made the phone sound perfect, it is NOT. I just haven't gotten to those points yet. I will finish it tomorrow.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
My initial thoughts going in were fairly different, but I have to say that I am also very impressed and satisfied with this device. Easily a top 3 device and possibly the best thing on the market.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
The specs are not out dated.. The only thing that could be said for outdated is the dual core structure to the SoC. The cores are different and match the architecture of newer flagship devices. Unfortunately I believe Motorola failed to educate people about this before hand so we still have people taking about specs even if to some small degree.

Posted via Android Central App

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
The specs are not out dated.. The only thing that could be said for outdated is the dual core structure to the SoC. The cores are different and match the architecture of newer flagship devices. Unfortunately I believe Motorola failed to educate people about this before hand so we still have people taking about specs even if to some small degree.

Those of us who have iPhones understand. On paper we have outdated specifications but because the software is optimized with the hardware the experience is stellar. I believe that this is what Motorola has achieved and people are really benefitting from this.

Kamron Erani

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

Sorry I might have wrote that in a misleading way. What I am trying to say is people believe that it is outdated, but in reality it isn't and it outperforms those high specd devices.

tortex73

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
They are Krait 300 cores, which is THIS year's technology. The X just has 2 less than other flagship devices, but they are identical in architecture. Certainly not outdated. And what the X lacks in cores it makes up for in OPTIMIZATION. If anything, this thing is more advanced than it's competitors. It certainly shows in the way it performs. It is well worth the money, and I'd even argue that it is a better value than the S4 or the One.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Early comments on G+ are saying battery life is rivaling and beating the new G2 with it's 3Ah battery as well. The reasoning behind the decisions they made are proving to be pretty sound.

shady28

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I've been looking at phones and this one is on my short list.

Just got back from Best Buy to take a look. They did not have any running models just the display mock-ups.

So, what comparison I could do surprised me. I held this one up to the backs of at least 4 phones. The Moto X has a 4.7" screen.

It is way smaller than the HTC One (4.7" screen), Samsung GS4 (5" screen), Nokia 920 (4.5" screen). It was even smaller than the HTC 8x, which is a 4.3" screen phone, and comparable to the HTC One Mini and SGS 4 Mini in size.

That is quite an accomplishment. One of the things that always bugs me in Android vs iPhone "comparisons" is the concept that bigger is better. You wind up with a more powerful phone but it's the size of a book.

This turns that on its ear and makes it possible to have a big screen phone with a smallish size phone. Good stuff.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I've been looking at phones and this one is on my short list.

Just got back from Best Buy to take a look. They did not have any running models just the display mock-ups.

So, what comparison I could do surprised me. I held this one up to the backs of at least 4 phones. The Moto X has a 4.7" screen.

It is way smaller than the HTC One (4.7" screen), Samsung GS4 (5" screen), Nokia 920 (4.5" screen). It was even smaller than the HTC 8x, which is a 4.3" screen phone, and comparable to the HTC One Mini and SGS 4 Mini in size.

That is quite an accomplishment. One of the things that always bugs me in Android vs iPhone "comparisons" is the concept that bigger is better. You wind up with a more powerful phone but it's the size of a book.

This turns that on its ear and makes it possible to have a big screen phone with a smallish size phone. Good stuff.

Keep in kind with on screen buttons the usable area of the screen on the X is pretty similar to the 4.3in screens with capacitive buttons. In fact, the vertical area is almost identical, the usable width of the X is just a bit larger.

Sent from my HTC One mini

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Keep in kind with on screen buttons the usable area of the screen on the X is pretty similar to the 4.3in screens with capacitive buttons. In fact, the vertical area is almost identical, the usable width of the X is just a bit larger.

Like NothingIsTrue said, the actual usable area on the Moto X is right around 4.5" diagonal.

That means that Motorola was able to put a 4.5" screen in the same size bodies that most 4.3" screens come in. My X has negligible differences in size as my 4.3" GS2, and my 4.5" Xperia TL with on-screen buttons.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Like NothingIsTrue said, the actual usable area on the Moto X is right around 4.5" diagonal.

That means that Motorola was able to put a 4.5" screen in the same size bodies that most 4.3" screens come in. My X has negligible differences in size as my 4.3" GS2, and my 4.5" Xperia TL with on-screen buttons.

I think this is wrong. Hold an X up to a phone with a 4.3" screen. Or measure with a ruler. The vertical area is the same. On the X you only get more usable width, at least when the on screen buttons are present. This is a fact. Hold phones side by side if you don't believe me.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I think this is wrong. Hold an X up to a phone with a 4.3" screen. Or measure with a ruler. The vertical area is the same. On the X you only get more usable width, at least when the on screen buttons are present. This is a fact. Hold phones side by side if you don't believe me.

Sorry, but I'm right.

I'm comparing my Moto X to my Galaxy S2, each sitting right next to each other.
The GS2's screen diagonal measures right at 4.3" with a height of 3.625" and a width of 2.156"
The Moto X's screen measuring from the corner right above the soft buttons measures just a hair under 4.5". It has a height of 3.75" and a width of 2.28".

Yes, there isn't a large difference, yet remember that you're trying to argue about 0.2" diagonal difference.
I'll compare the phone to my Xperia when it gets home but at the moment it's already left with my wife to work.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, but I'm right.

The GS2's screen diagonal measures right at 4.3" with a height of 3.625" and a width of 2.156"
The Moto X's screen measuring from the corner right above the soft buttons measures just a hair under 4.5". It has a height of 3.75" and a width of 2.28".

Yes, there isn't a large difference, yet remember that you're trying to argue about 0.2" diagonal difference.
I'll compare the phone to my Xperia when it gets home but at the moment it's already left with my wife to work.

Oh ok fair enough about diagonal measurement. I held an X up next to a Gs4 mini and the vertical length of the GS4 mini screen seemed identical to the vertical usable area of the X screen, but maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me.

Edit: was the height of 3.75 you posted the usable area, or did that include on screen buttons?

shady28

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, but I'm right.

How does the size of the body of the Moto X compare to the body of the S2?

Sent from my iPhone 4