10-07-2013 09:08 PM
121 1234 ...
tools
    I was unaware Google and Verizon have stated this.

Posted via Android Central App
    My personal take on the Nexus 5/ VZW question (Off Topic BTW): I have not seen any statement from Google or VZW about the Nexus 5. However, look at the FCC application for the D820, which most reviewers believe to be the Nexus 5. LG Nexus 5 with LTE makes probable appearance in FCC (update: 5-inch display, Snapdragon 800) It shows the LTE bands 2/4/5/17/25/26/41. Although Verizon can operate on band 4, its primary and widespread LTE is on band 13 which is not listed. (In the future VZW plans to roll out band 4) Furthermore, VZW will not allow a phone to be activated on their network if it is not qualified by Verizon. The one way around this is to take a VZW LTE Sim that you already have and put it into the Nexus 5. Will that work? Who knows until someone tries it. You still won't have VZW 700 MHz LTE because it is not supported in the hardware.
    grooks likes this.
    09-18-2013 10:34 AM
    My personal take on the Nexus 5/ VZW question (Off Topic BTW): I have not seen any statement from Google or VZW about the Nexus 5. However, look at the FCC application for the D820, which most reviewers believe to be the Nexus 5. LG Nexus 5 with LTE makes probable appearance in FCC (update: 5-inch display, Snapdragon 800) It shows the LTE bands 2/4/5/17/25/26/41. Although Verizon can operate on band 4, its primary and widespread LTE is on band 13 which is not listed. (In the future VZW plans to roll out band 4) Furthermore, VZW will not allow a phone to be activated on their network if it is not qualified by Verizon. The one way around this is to take a VZW LTE Sim that you already have and put it into the Nexus 5. Will that work? Who knows until someone tries it. You still won't have VZW 700 MHz LTE because it is not supported in the hardware.
    Exactly but some people have to actually see it before they believe it.

09-18-2013 10:49 AM
    Cite your sources.
    Phil Nickinson has said on the Android Central podcast, on numerous occasions, that everyone he's spoken with at Verizon and Google have stated that they have a good relationship. I guess Verizon, Google and Phil are liars and "common sense" prevails.
    09-18-2013 11:28 AM
    I'm speaking more along the lines of Google and Verizon somehow hating each other because Verizon won't set aside their own legal responsibilities over a particular device. Hogwash, pure hogwash. The entire Android Community is getting oversaturated with crybabies tossing out conjecture.
    09-18-2013 11:31 AM
    Right here for Verizon:

Moto X Developer Edition for Verizon - A Google Company

The GSM version is out too, but currently out of stock.
    Aquila and rayden8 like this.
    09-18-2013 01:57 PM
    Well, its history now.. Just bought my DE for VZW over an hour ago. What a relief.. now of course, can't wait to get it.
    rayden8 and dmark44 like this.
    09-18-2013 03:04 PM
    Anyone found any promo codes for Motorola's website? They hang that promo code box down there on the cart page there like a tease...
    shanghai, rayden8 and dmark44 like this.
    09-18-2013 03:18 PM
    Looks like the GSM version of the DE will be available on Friday (according to the Motorola Support forums). Hmmn, tempting to have a DE but not crazy about the white back!!!
    09-18-2013 04:00 PM
    Yeah I was planning on getting one but the white back has me rethinking the purchase. Love my Moto X but still waiting to see what the N5 is going to bring to the table.
    Looks like the GSM version of the DE will be available on Friday (according to the Motorola Support forums). Hmmn, tempting to have a DE but not crazy about the white back!!!
    rayden8 likes this.
    09-18-2013 04:19 PM
    can you trade it 16G for the moto x DE without paying full price?
    09-18-2013 04:40 PM
    KWKSLVR,
    Yes.. i have read lots of innuendo and rumors about bad blood between G and V. I honestly believe that there are business relationships and policies and practices at each company which may look to us pawns like corporate problems, but we should not read between the lines. From their behavior we can surmise some of the internal decision making policies and we should also know that these can change over time. All that said, one of the biggest problems that I have experienced in companies is that profits can hide lots of sins, and making some money can trump smart long-term thinking. IMHO, no need to discuss or explore V and G's relationship unless something is clearly stated or known to be fact from some reputable source. If indeed that D820 is the Nexus 5, at this point it does not appear to be Verizon capable. That may influence some developers' decisions or not. It says nothing about the relationship between G and V. 'nuff said from me.
    09-18-2013 04:53 PM
    I'm honestly not to excited about the Nexus this year. Might be because I hate LG and did not like my Nexus 4 to much or might be because the Nexus 5 looks like *** if thats the final form for it.
    09-18-2013 07:01 PM
    Ordered my DE X for Verizon this afternoon.

Here's my question about the DE X: what have people said about the white phones? Do they show dirt more than the black? Easy to get permanently dirty? I'm going to case it anyway due to pure OCD. But I'd like to keep it as clean as possible, so I'd just like to hear what some people who have a white X have to say.
    09-18-2013 07:41 PM
    Just ordered my Dev Ed Moto X on VZW!!!!!!! Yeah!!!
    Aquila and dmark44 like this.
    09-18-2013 08:23 PM
    Forgive the newbie question, but how does this work, then? I am on Verizon with unlimited data, and my current 2-year contract is just about up. I was planning to pay full retail for a Verizon Moto X once they became available via Moto Maker, but I have no problem buying this version now instead of waiting. If I buy the phone, how do I keep my unlimited data? Do I have to swap SIM cards with my current phone (Droid RAZR)? Do I need to activate something? Forgive my ignorance, please. Thanks for any help.
    Wildo6882 likes this.
    09-18-2013 11:03 PM
    Phil Nickinson has said on the Android Central podcast, on numerous occasions, that everyone he's spoken with at Verizon and Google have stated that they have a good relationship. I guess Verizon, Google and Phil are liars and "common sense" prevails.
    Look. I was just being snarky. I'm not calling Verizon, Google or Phil liars, but it's likely Verizon and Google are not entirely open or truthful about their dirty laundry either. Much of this discussion is based on conjecture and perception. The additional clarifications made by Verizon today tend to point more towards operational incompetence rather than malice in regards to Nexus 7 tablet activation issue but I wouldn't totally rule malice out either. It's easy to see why the perception of a contentious relationship is there. Afterall, it was Google that pushed for the open access rules on the 700Mhz spectrum auction and pledged a lot of money in the auction to ensure that it would come to fruition. Verizon fought the 700Mhz open access rules throughout the entire process. Open access runs contrary to their corporate culture and history.

There has been sufficient evidence over the years that Verizon's corporate culture favors a tightly controlled experience from the network to the end user device and has demonstrated downright contempt for outside devices and openness. This history goes back many years at least to when they were selling their Qualcomm BREW based phones and probably even further. Some of the motivation for this is delivering an extensive reliable network experience to a customer base that's willing to pay a premium for that service. Another motivation is pure greed that unfortunately comes at the expense of the customer experience. Why else would they strong arm their manufacturers to include VZTones and VZNavigator on all the devices they sell and not allow the owners of the devices to uninstall that redundant inferior garbage?

Unfortunately the greed doesn't stop there. They also have a history of accepting payment to force non-Verizon software onto the devices they sell in order to gain additional revenue. Again, this comes at the expense of the customer, who ends up paying a premium($200-$300 and a 2 year contract) for a device with embedded non-removable advertising. More recently, Verizon has been forcing manufacturers to alter their core Android OS experience on their flagship phones. This has included abominations such as the on-going WiFi notifications recently imposed on the Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4. I sincerely doubt that manufacturers are happy to oblige, especially since they are working towards creating their own branded experience and Verizon continually puts additional requirements in the way of getting that device on Verizon's network.

The Verizon 4G LTE network certification for the Nexus 7 LTE tablet is yet another unnecessary roadblock that Verizon has put in the way of another device getting access to their network. It's a roadblock that violates the rules they agreed to in the 700Mhz auction. The whole debacle is consistent with the theory that Verizon and Google have at least a somewhat contentious relationship. It's also consistent with Verizon's contempt for device manufacturers and consumers in general.
    KWKSLVR, bigdaddytee and Wildo6882 like this.
    09-18-2013 11:06 PM
    Forgive the newbie question, but how does this work, then? I am on Verizon with unlimited data, and my current 2-year contract is just about up. I was planning to pay full retail for a Verizon Moto X once they became available via Moto Maker, but I have no problem buying this version now instead of waiting. If I buy the phone, how do I keep my unlimited data? Do I have to swap SIM cards with my current phone (Droid RAZR)? Do I need to activate something? Forgive my ignorance, please. Thanks for any help.
    Just go to Verizon and ask for a SIM (you'll need a new one since your SIM from your Razr won't work). Pop that baby in and you're good to go. Nothing else. You've done nothing to alter your contract. And your data will be intact!
    bigdaddytee and PRT11 like this.
    09-18-2013 11:36 PM
    Did you order online with Verizon?? I called them last night and they said they had no 32 gb in stock yet. My 14 days is over next week trying to get the phone before i have to pay extra, thanks.
    09-19-2013 07:57 AM
    Did you order online with Verizon?? I called them last night and they said they had no 32 gb in stock yet. My 14 days is over next week trying to get the phone before i have to pay extra, thanks.
    You have to order direct from Motorola. Then you can pop your SIM in and be ready to go.
    09-19-2013 09:00 AM
    Ordered my DE X for Verizon this afternoon.

Here's my question about the DE X: what have people said about the white phones? Do they show dirt more than the black? Easy to get permanently dirty? I'm going to case it anyway due to pure OCD. But I'd like to keep it as clean as possible, so I'd just like to hear what some people who have a white X have to say.
    Yes, my woven back got dirty very quickly, like within a few days I thought it was stained. On another thread, someone said to clean it with rubbing alcohol and it works very well. Still gets dirty again quickly though. I have a thin case on mine normally, but sometimes take it off if I want the phone to be super thin in my pocket.

Oh, and doesn't it say that the DE comes with a SIM already installed? Then you'd just update which SIM you're using on the VZW site and you're ready to go?
    09-19-2013 10:03 AM
    Yes, my woven back got dirty very quickly, like within a few days I thought it was stained. On another thread, someone said to clean it with rubbing alcohol and it works very well. Still gets dirty again quickly though. I have a thin case on mine normally, but sometimes take it off if I want the phone to be super thin in my pocket.

Oh, and doesn't it say that the DE comes with a SIM already installed? Then you'd just update which SIM you're using on the VZW site and you're ready to go?
    I'm ok with it getting dirty as long as it can be cleaned. I'm going to case it anyway, but still like my stuff looking good. And it may come with one. I didn't see for sure, but you're probably right. And that's all you'd have to do.
    09-19-2013 10:05 AM
    For people who have ordered the developer edition for Verizon, any idea when it will ship? Mine still shows that it hasn't been shipped even though it said two day shipping when purchasing.

09-19-2013 09:32 PM
    For people who have ordered the developer edition for Verizon, any idea when it will ship? Mine still shows that it hasn't been shipped even though it said two day shipping when purchasing.

I was wondering the exact same thing. I was hoping it would be here tomorrow, but I'm guessing that won't happen. We'll see, though.
    09-19-2013 10:24 PM
    Does the DE still include all of the original moto X software features such as active notification, twist to switch on camera, touchless control, Motorola assist etc? Cannot find this confirmed anywhere. Am living outside USA so the DE looks to be the best option to get this thing.

09-20-2013 12:42 AM
    Does the DE still include all of the original moto X software features such as active notification, twist to switch on camera, touchless control, Motorola assist etc? Cannot find this confirmed anywhere. Am living outside USA so the DE looks to be the best option to get this thing.

Yes, the only differences from the same carrier versions are that the bootloader is unlockable and they're holding 32GB instead of 16GB of internal storage.
    09-20-2013 12:46 AM
121 1234 ...