Where is the Developer Edition?

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
...The perception and rumor is that Verizon and Google don't play well together. This is completely false and based totally on Verizon's need to protect their patents mixed with internet message board 'tard speak....
Posted via Android Central App
Cite your sources.

Tommy3141

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I was unaware Google and Verizon have stated this.

My personal take on the Nexus 5/ VZW question (Off Topic BTW): I have not seen any statement from Google or VZW about the Nexus 5. However, look at the FCC application for the D820, which most reviewers believe to be the Nexus 5. LG Nexus 5 with LTE makes probable appearance in FCC (update: 5-inch display, Snapdragon 800) It shows the LTE bands 2/4/5/17/25/26/41. Although Verizon can operate on band 4, its primary and widespread LTE is on band 13 which is not listed. (In the future VZW plans to roll out band 4) Furthermore, VZW will not allow a phone to be activated on their network if it is not qualified by Verizon. The one way around this is to take a VZW LTE Sim that you already have and put it into the Nexus 5. Will that work? Who knows until someone tries it. You still won't have VZW 700 MHz LTE because it is not supported in the hardware.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
My personal take on the Nexus 5/ VZW question (Off Topic BTW): I have not seen any statement from Google or VZW about the Nexus 5. However, look at the FCC application for the D820, which most reviewers believe to be the Nexus 5. LG Nexus 5 with LTE makes probable appearance in FCC (update: 5-inch display, Snapdragon 800) It shows the LTE bands 2/4/5/17/25/26/41. Although Verizon can operate on band 4, its primary and widespread LTE is on band 13 which is not listed. (In the future VZW plans to roll out band 4) Furthermore, VZW will not allow a phone to be activated on their network if it is not qualified by Verizon. The one way around this is to take a VZW LTE Sim that you already have and put it into the Nexus 5. Will that work? Who knows until someone tries it. You still won't have VZW 700 MHz LTE because it is not supported in the hardware.

Exactly but some people have to actually see it before they believe it.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Cite your sources.
Phil Nickinson has said on the Android Central podcast, on numerous occasions, that everyone he's spoken with at Verizon and Google have stated that they have a good relationship. I guess Verizon, Google and Phil are liars and "common sense" prevails.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

I'm speaking more along the lines of Google and Verizon somehow hating each other because Verizon won't set aside their own legal responsibilities over a particular device. Hogwash, pure hogwash. The entire Android Community is getting oversaturated with crybabies tossing out conjecture.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Anyone found any promo codes for Motorola's website? They hang that promo code box down there on the cart page there like a tease...

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Looks like the GSM version of the DE will be available on Friday (according to the Motorola Support forums). Hmmn, tempting to have a DE but not crazy about the white back!!!

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I was planning on getting one but the white back has me rethinking the purchase. Love my Moto X but still waiting to see what the N5 is going to bring to the table.
Looks like the GSM version of the DE will be available on Friday (according to the Motorola Support forums). Hmmn, tempting to have a DE but not crazy about the white back!!!

Tommy3141

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
KWKSLVR,
Yes.. i have read lots of innuendo and rumors about bad blood between G and V. I honestly believe that there are business relationships and policies and practices at each company which may look to us pawns like corporate problems, but we should not read between the lines. From their behavior we can surmise some of the internal decision making policies and we should also know that these can change over time. All that said, one of the biggest problems that I have experienced in companies is that profits can hide lots of sins, and making some money can trump smart long-term thinking. IMHO, no need to discuss or explore V and G's relationship unless something is clearly stated or known to be fact from some reputable source. If indeed that D820 is the Nexus 5, at this point it does not appear to be Verizon capable. That may influence some developers' decisions or not. It says nothing about the relationship between G and V. 'nuff said from me.

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm honestly not to excited about the Nexus this year. Might be because I hate LG and did not like my Nexus 4 to much or might be because the Nexus 5 looks like *** if thats the final form for it.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Ordered my DE X for Verizon this afternoon.

Here's my question about the DE X: what have people said about the white phones? Do they show dirt more than the black? Easy to get permanently dirty? I'm going to case it anyway due to pure OCD. But I'd like to keep it as clean as possible, so I'd just like to hear what some people who have a white X have to say.

PRT11

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Forgive the newbie question, but how does this work, then? I am on Verizon with unlimited data, and my current 2-year contract is just about up. I was planning to pay full retail for a Verizon Moto X once they became available via Moto Maker, but I have no problem buying this version now instead of waiting. If I buy the phone, how do I keep my unlimited data? Do I have to swap SIM cards with my current phone (Droid RAZR)? Do I need to activate something? Forgive my ignorance, please. Thanks for any help.