How have you used 'Google Now'?

hjanweja

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

Would like to understand all that 'Google Now' would allow the users to do. . . .
So curious to know what you have used the 'Ok, Google Now' command for except google searches. I use it primarily to place calls and send texts, although I have not been able to find a way to send a text without touching the phone.

What have you used it for so far?

Thanks !

flydi379

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

Would like to understand all that 'Google Now' would allow the users to do. . . .
So curious to know what you have used the 'Ok, Google Now' command for except google searches. I use it primarily to place calls and send texts, although I have not been able to find a way to send a text without touching the phone.

What have you used it for so far?

Thanks !

I use it to save reminders using the Keep app (you can just use it without the app also accept it doesn't work on my phone for some reason )
I find this very useful when I'm driving

Posted via Android Central App

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
use it for opening apps, playing music, calling, setting reminders, alarms, checking weather, getting navigation directions while in car ..plenty usefull

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I use it mainly for making calls. When I'm on patrol the phone is on the dash in a holder so I can see the screen (comes n handy for weather radar and such) I have the phone set so if I use the command to make a call it automatically goes to speaker phone.. And its great. I use text sometimes even tho I have to hit send.

I also use it for asking questions search.. But the phone call and alarms and opening an app is the main use.. Its proved to not be a gimmick and its supposed to get better w time..

That and active notifications has been a lot better than I expected.. Don't miss led lights at all

Using my Moto Droid Maxx

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't have the X, but I use the voice features in Google Now mostly to set reminders and alarms. "Wake me up in a half hour" gets used a lot. The most common searches I use are location based, like "What's the closest ATM" or "What time does Target open?"

hjanweja

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I use it to save reminders using the Keep app (you can just use it without the app also accept it doesn't work on my phone for some reason )
I find this very useful when I'm driving

I tried this, it does open up the App, but how do you save the reminder text without touching the phone. I could not achieve this?

hjanweja

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
use it for opening apps, playing music, calling, setting reminders, alarms, checking weather, getting navigation directions while in car ..plenty usefull

Tried all of these, opening Apps work well, playing music, it opens the app, but I need to hit a button to play the music, reminders once again it opens the app, how do you enter/save the text without hitting a button, weather works well, not sure how to get navigation when driving. What do you say for that? Thanks !

anon(5384869)

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Tried all of these, opening Apps work well, playing music, it opens the app, but I need to hit a button to play the music, reminders once again it opens the app, how do you enter/save the text without hitting a button, weather works well, not sure how to get navigation when driving. What do you say for that? Thanks !

Say: "Text (name of contact) (content of text)" It will then show a card of your contact, the text message and a button reading "Send Message."

If you meant you want to send a message without hitting that button, then I don't know.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Agreed with reminder and text you have to hit send button ..its not completely touchless still takes a away lot of the touch interaction with phone while driving specially, If its in dock in front you can just hit send . You can set an alarm without touching the phone too
Playing music works touchless i just say ok google now play <artist name> <song> it plays the songs, also open pandora it plays without touching usefull in car.
Also navigation is fully touchless ..just say ok google now navigate to <address/landmark>

mysticmeg

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I love Google now can be a pain rarely but when I need a phone number of a business or the branch opening times I just speak and it produces me with the information quickly as possible

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Iv tried using it for calls while in the car but can't get it to use the speaker phone

______
Sent from my Motorola X using Tapatalk 4.0

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I use it mainly for GPS, OK Google now.. Navigate to..

I've tried several times to use it with GPS reminders.. OK Google now remind me when I get home to turn on the sprinklers.

I generally get the reminder hours or days later.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
i use it a lot for how long it will take me to get from one place or another. And for directions b/c in ny there are so many dif public transportation options to get to one play to another. And i use it via always ready b/c i can do it walking around my apartment while the phone might still be in my hand, i don't have to think about stopping, pushing the right spot on the google talk thing before asking it.

and reminders like crazy. Told it to remind me in the morning to tell my job i was taking so and so day off, sure enough, 9am, and viola. Also set a reminder for myself for the next morning to bring my coffee mug to work, viola, it reminded me and i finally took it in, etc, etc. And to add things to my calendar. Like my friend's birthday, he told me, then after we hung up i added it to my calender via always ready/google now. Had to adjust it afterward obvious, making it a repeated all day event, but so handy instead of opening, typing, setting it for the day, etc.

and i was adding my music to my phone 2 days ago, while going through my collection there were a few unnamed songs i never figured out, i was all: okay google now, what song is this...and it got all of them that i couldn't quite figure out what album, song name, etc.

i was wondering if i would get bored of it, but it is so darn handy.

Last edited:

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Iv tried using it for calls while in the car but can't get it to use the speaker phone

______
Sent from my Motorola X using Tapatalk 4.0

Go into the touchless settings and there should be a box to check to always use speaker on calls.. It only affects the OK Google now calls.

Using my Moto Droid Maxx

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I use it mainly for GPS, OK Google now.. Navigate to..

I've tried several times to use it with GPS reminders.. OK Google now remind me when I get home to turn on the sprinklers.

I generally get the reminder hours or days later.

I've had bad luck with Google's location reminders, too. I usually get my reminder of what to buy at the store when I'm in the parking lot leaving.

It's not yet compatible with Google Now, but I made my own to do list in Tasker that will give me notifications (which, when tapped open the appropriate to do list) based on location that works way better. I can add stuff through voice or from other devices and it will add to whichever list I want and the most useful list is automatically displayed on my lock screen. Granted, I have to tell it what location is associated with which list, but I only have to do that once for each place.

flydi379

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I tried this, it does open up the App, but how do you save the reminder text without touching the phone. I could not achieve this?

You have to start off with the phrase "note to self" then once you're done speaking the reminder it should save it automatically

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I've had bad luck with Google's location reminders, too. I usually get my reminder of what to buy at the store when I'm in the parking lot leaving.

It's not yet compatible with Google Now, but I made my own to do list in Tasker that will give me notifications (which, when tapped open the appropriate to do list) based on location that works way better. I can add stuff through voice or from other devices and it will add to whichever list I want and the most useful list is automatically displayed on my lock screen. Granted, I have to tell it what location is associated with which list, but I only have to do that once for each place.

I've been messing with the location based reminders and so far no luck. (I just got this phone Monday so it's early.) I set a reminder for when I got home and it didn't actually remind me until about 20 minutes after I got home. I'll play with it more.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
You have to start off with the phrase "note to self" then once you're done speaking the reminder it should save it automatically

Where are these being saved for you? Google task? Has anyone gotten it to go to Google Keep? (I?m at work right now and can?t test). I got it to save somewhere last time but I just can?t remember where, I think G-task.

(love Google Keep. Even the 1x4 widget is awesome).

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Man, I have to rave this Always Ready and Google Now again. I must use this up to a dozen times a day. 2 days ago my phone reminded me to call the vet, which I most likely did with google now. Had the phone in my hand, said “okay google now, call Dr. -____”, it dials him up, I made the appt, didn’t have a pen in my hand cuz I was walking toward my house, then told google to add the appt to my calendar while I was walking up the stairs with my mail and keys in hand. Used it today twice already for which it came in so handy. Just love this. My google task list is full of necessary things i need to take care of but always forget. love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair