Battery: 100% to 88% in 1.5 hours with 5 min screen time

mm356

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I know battery issues are hard to generalize, but I'm just wondering if this is ballpark typical or noticeably too much drain.

I streamed TuneIn radio for my 50 minute commute, had WiFi disabled, and 4G on. Battery report showed that 5 min of screen time consumed 33%, Android OS consumed 17%, and TuneIn was third with 7%.

I'm new to the smartphone world, and with all of the hoopla over the X's battery life I just wondered if this is about right or if this may be draining a bit more than normal.

myRT

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I know battery issues are hard to generalize, but I'm just wondering if this is ballpark typical or noticeably too much drain.

I streamed TuneIn radio for my 50 minute commute, had WiFi disabled, and 4G on. Battery report showed that 5 min of screen time consumed 33%, Android OS consumed 17%, and TuneIn was third with 7%.

I'm new to the smartphone world, and with all of the hoopla over the X's battery life I just wondered if this is about right or if this may be draining a bit more than normal.

Was your screen on for that 1.5 hours? Streaming can deplete your battery for sure but if your screen was on that entire time so you could see the tune or skip a tune, I can see that being accurate.
I know on any device I use, if your screen is active, that will be your main drain.

Posted via my MotoX

dpw2atox

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes there are rogue apps that don't per say show up under the standard battery interface in Android, there are 3rd party apps that can tell you much more information and let you know what app might be causing the issue. Off the top of my head I can't remember any of their names, I know 1 of them deals with wake locks? I'd search around and try and find a recommended app, run it in the background then and repeat your steps from earlier to see just how bad the drain is and the exact cause of the drain. If you want to take a bit of an easier route, just install something like Pandora and tomorrow do the exact same thing you did today but use Pandora instead of TuneIn just as a test, then see what your battery is at.

Personally I stream music through Google Play Music and I get great battery life. I played music for 20 min this morning, I have my corporate email app running, my regular gmail, facebook, skype, etc... all setup to sync and after 1.5 hrs off the charger im still at 96%. Now granted I've been on Wifi this morning but if I was on 4G it'd probably be only a tad lower.

mm356

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Was your screen on for that 1.5 hours? Streaming can deplete your battery for sure but if your screen was on that entire time so you could see the tune or skip a tune, I can see that being accurate.
I know on any device I use, if your screen is active, that will be your main drain.

Posted via my MotoX

No, my screen wasn't on... that's what caused me to think it was too big of a drain. Active notifications were on, and I'd unlock it here and there to change the radio stream, but while playing it went back to the standard Active Notifications display. In addition, I had even turned Auto Brightness off and set the brightness down pretty low, like 12 I believe, so even when the screen was on it should've been less draining than it typically does. That's what I thought was really weird about the 12% drop.

mm356

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Personally I stream music through Google Play Music and I get great battery life. I played music for 20 min this morning, I have my corporate email app running, my regular gmail, facebook, skype, etc... all setup to sync and after 1.5 hrs off the charger im still at 96%. Now granted I've been on Wifi this morning but if I was on 4G it'd probably be only a tad lower.

So without knowing the root cause, of course, it sounds like the 12% drop is excessive compared to your similar experiences. I do have all of the Google stuff syncing, all location info enabled, and several apps installed and all all that, so hopefully it is something just running in the background that doesn't show up. I still have 6 days to swap it out, which is why I'm asking the question. I absolutely love the phone and everything works great now that I got the bug in Motrola Assist fixed (just clear all cache data), so I'm no longer concerned with swapping it out for a different phone, just another Moto X with perhaps less drain. I'll tinker around with it for a couple more days and see what turns up. All thoughts and suggestions are welcome!

mm356

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE: At work I turned WiFi off, mobile data off, screen display to 8, and ringer on vibrate. So phone was basically just sitting here all day waiting for calls or texts, but getting no data access. Battery levels dropped from 84% at 8:38 am to 68% at 4pm. That's a 16% drop when it pretty much sat idle all day (had one phone call come in that lasted less than a minute, and 0 SMS messages).

Here are some before and after shots of the battery status. The before's were actually taken at 10:11, so the battery level had already dropped some. Obviously the Android OS is the culprit here, as the additional screen time over the 6 hour time span is only from periodically checking the battery status every now and then. Any ideas as to what the OS could be doing without a data connection to drain the battery? I'm hoping this has to do with software settings and not a dud battery... thoughts?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    139.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 2.png
    2.png
    81.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 3.png
    3.png
    81.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 4.png
    4.png
    142.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 5.png
    5.png
    82.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 6.png
    6.png
    81.8 KB · Views: 74

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm at 68 right now..

2hrs 20min total

2hrs 10 min screen time.

Android OS is 5th in only have used 4% of current battery drain.

Posted via Android Central App

asylvia

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
mine seems pretty similar to yours but i have been on wifi all day with only 26 min. of screen on time.

thing is, i didn't turn anything off, screen brightness auto, all data syncing/google etc was on.......

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-09-20-16-52-15.png
    Screenshot_2013-09-20-16-52-15.png
    138.8 KB · Views: 66

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Your best troubleshooting bet at this point is to install wake lock detector or something similar. That can help root out a bad app that's continually keeping your phone awake.

mm356

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Your best troubleshooting bet at this point is to install wake lock detector or something similar. That can help root out a bad app that's continually keeping your phone awake.

Did that after my last post...now just figuring out how to interpret the results. All in due time I guess.

mm356

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
settings>location access>uncheck wifi and mobile network location. You'll be better off.

After:
Moto X

Do all of the Google services still work well with these unchecked? I believe it was Google who told me to be sure they were checked for best operation.

KentuckyHouse

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Got this the other night at home on WiFi. 30% brightness, battery saver off, mostly surfing and reading on Tapatalk.

Pretty damn impressive.

a7eqajyr.jpg

u3e8ysun.jpg

Sent from my Moto X

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Do all of the Google services still work well with these unchecked? I believe it was Google who told me to be sure they were checked for best operation.

When I do this I don't get any of the Google Now time to home, or weather. But the phone sleeps properly. I can always check those two by simple navigation or search of the weather.

Moto X

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

mm356

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
From the sounds of it it seems more likely that like it's a software sleeping issue rather than a bad battery. Guess I'm just keep the one I have and work on monitoring sleep habits instead of swapping, especially since I get good call quality. Thanks for all of the advice!

KentuckyHouse

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Holy cow! On these screenshots, it looks like android OS usage is actually normal. For most people it's persistently the first or second item.

Sent from my HTC One mini

I noticed that as well. Maybe I just got lucky and got one without wake locks that sleeps properly. All I know is the battery life has been stellar for me so far.

Sent from my Moto X

mm356

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Doing a lot better today with actual use. Got 6.5 hours of use with 1.75 hours screen on time with still 60% battery left. That's a pace of roughly 16 hours on time and 4.5 hours screen time which I can handle.

Turned off some notifications in some apps and installed wake locks and deep battery saver. Even with deep battery saver disabled it still seems to be doing better with much more screen time than when it was sleeping yesterday. Just shows that battery drain is likely more software oriented than the battery itself and likely can be corrected.

gilbertpsk

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm finding that auto-brightness is too bright. I've been monitoring closely and I think my screen is too bright and killing my moto x battery. If I keep it on manual, I have to manually switch too often. Any suggestions for a better auto-brightness solution for the moto x? I assumed Motorola would have fixed this as they claim great battery life but it doesn't seem the case for me.

~_~ posted from Moto X via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz