Picked up the 5s today.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone won't. It's an iPhone hardware limitation. The S4, Moto X, HTC One, LG G2 and countless others can do simultaneous LTE and Voice on every network.

The iPhone cannot and has never been able to do simultaneous voice + LTE on any network.

The iPhone can do simultaneous Voice + HSPA on AT&T, which AT&T claims is 4G, but it is NOT LTE.

Semantics. The statement you quoted was talking about LTE+Voice. Which the iPhone cannot do.

Not on ATT. The reason why this works on Verizon has to do with CDMA. The LTE antenna connects to Verizon's network while the CDMA radio connects to Verizon's voice at the same time on the other antenna. Verizon had to build a separate LTE network because they used CDMA in the first place. Verizon's LTE and Voice are also two different technologies.

Remember that LTE is built off GSM technology so ATT and other GSM networks do not have a separate voice network to fall back upon.

When you make a phone call on a GSM network once connected to the cell tower the circuit will switch you to HSPA. Even if you had a second Antenna on the iPhone 5, if the GSM tower still does it fallback, it still will be HSPA only.

Here is a primer guide on this situation.

3G and 4G Wireless Blog: Circuit Switched Fallback (CSFB): A Quick Primer

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Not on ATT. The reason why this works on Verizon has to do with CDMA. The LTE antenna connects to Verizon's network while the CDMA radio connects to Verizon's voice at the same time on the other antenna. Verizon had to build a separate LTE network because they used CDMA in the first place. Verizon's LTE and Voice are also two different technologies.

Remember that LTE is built off GSM technology so ATT and other GSM networks do not have a separate voice network to fall back upon.

When you make a phone call on a GSM network once connected to the cell tower the circuit will switch you to HSPA. Even if you had a second Antenna on the iPhone 5, if the GSM tower still does it fallback, it still will be HSPA only.

Here is a primer guide on this situation.

3G and 4G Wireless Blog: Circuit Switched Fallback (CSFB): A Quick Primer

Are you trying to say that AT&T doesn't support simultaneous Voice + LTE on any phone? I didn't know that.

theobject

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree that this thread has taken a vector way off from the OP's post about the 5s camera. You love a phone because of what you want it to do for you. Everybody has their reason for buying the phone they have and if they don't like it they return it. I don't care so much about the camera specs, I have an SLR for that. Screen size, the 5s 4.0 vs Moto x 4.7 should not be in the conversation even with the Moto X buttons on the screen. HTC One and Moto X have the same screen size but the One is 1/3" taller which for me was a deal breaker. All Apple did was make the 5/5s taller to get 4.0, the width is the same 2.31 which makes it seem out of proportion. As far as talking and surfing I'm curious to see how many people actually surf the web while on a phone call. Personally it is low on the totem pole for me.

Again that's me, your mileage may vary.

yazzinit

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Still not sure the point of this topic. If anything, it's off-topic. We're told he got a 5s and drawered his Moto X. Cool. This is the Moto X forum, not the Apple forum. Discuss Apple products elsewhere. Where's a mod to delete for off-topic when you need one? lol

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Still not sure the point of this topic. If anything, it's off-topic. We're told he got a 5s and drawered his Moto X. Cool. This is the Moto X forum, not the Apple forum. Discuss Apple products elsewhere. Where's a mod to delete for off-topic when you need one? lol

We are around. But the thread isn't going elsewhere until or unless it becomes more of a problem.

If you can't comment constructively in a thread because of lack of interest, combatting interest, or simply because of dislike, please, refrain from commenting. If you think a thread is off topic, report it and we will be glad to move it if we find it is in fact offtopic. Just because the vast majority doesn't find the topic useful or simply do not like seeing discussion about other OSes or devices does not mean that the thread should be deleted.

All of that being said, lets please try to keep the conversation civil and mindful of others. Thanks ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Just because this is an Android website, doesn't mean competing products can't be discussed. :)

But you do bring up a good point... what is this doing in the Moto X forum?

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Keep the discussion civil. If you don't care for the thread, I suggest that you just move on. If you believe a post is inappropriate, then feel free to report it. Posting in the thread to complain about the thread or a post is not an appropriate response. Furthermore, personal insults / attacks will not be tolerated.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I admit that the X has a bigger screen, but there is more content on the i5 screen. It shouldn't be that way.

You can't look at the difference in one app and make a generalization about the entire phone...either of them. In this case, for some reason there is a lot of white space between the postings on the Moto X. But it's clear to see which one has more screen real estate. I really don't know why this is even an issue or up for debate.

chocolateyum

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Is this post propaganda from an Apple fan?

If all you care about is the camera, you should be getting a nokia lumia 1020 windows phone (or that Samsung phone that looks like a camera). The lumia blows the 5s out of the water.

And something sounds fishy with the millions of phones you seem to get unless you're super rich.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Fishy?

They are 600 dollar phones not 60k cars. Any kid with a job that's parents support them could buy a new phone each month. Phones are toys to some folks, the OP seems to fall into this category and when you turn around and sell them your actual investment is minimal at the end of the day.

Posted via Android Central App

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
It's an issue because someone thought on-screen buttons are nearly an inch thick.

I'm talking about after the pics were posted...the latest ones. Now people are carrying on the debate because of the way a single app is displaying text. It's silly. Especially when a software update could change something like that. But what will not be changing, is the fact that the Moto X's screen is larger, even when buttons are taken into account.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
But you don't come on here and call people names. Just because he said something that may or may not be true, and you don't agree with his opinion, is not a reason to call him a moron. Chill out!

BTW, he is correct about the webpage.

I get what you're trying to point out, but calling someone a "moron" (innapropriate, yes) is not isolated to people who use Android. To say that it is, is pretty comical and illogical. I've seen some NASTY things being said to people on Apple forums. I've also seen a lot more helpful people on Android forums in general. Yes, we could do without the name calling. But we could also do without the outrageous generalizing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance