Picked up the 5s today.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
lol this thread is funny, did thegrants82 dump his 5S and get the N5? What's he going to switch to in December I wonder?

Will be keeping the n5 and 5s. Everyone here is spending way too much time trying to justify their moto x over the n5 and that actually says a lot:) pretty simple, android is nexus and apple is 5s. Moto x is nice and mine will sell fast but most of the people here will bail for the n5. The exception being the Verizon people. Don't blame you, if I was being held down by Verizon I would keep my moto x. Moto x is great but nexus is what android is all about. Period.

Posted via Android Central App

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Will be keeping the n5 and 5s. Everyone here is spending way too much time trying to justify their moto x over the n5 and that actually says a lot:) pretty simple, android is nexus and apple is 5s. Moto x is nice and mine will sell fast but most of the people here will bail for the n5. The exception being the Verizon people. Don't blame you, if I was being held down by Verizon I would keep my moto x. Moto x is great but nexus is what android is all about. Period.

Do I have a nexus 5 on the way? Sure. Do I think the moto x is just as good if not better in some ways ? Sure do.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Will be keeping the n5 and 5s. Everyone here is spending way too much time trying to justify their moto x over the n5 and that actually says a lot:) pretty simple, android is nexus and apple is 5s. Moto x is nice and mine will sell fast but most of the people here will bail for the n5. The exception being the Verizon people. Don't blame you, if I was being held down by Verizon I would keep my moto x.

You say this like people are secretly bitter about being on Verizon and not being able to have a Nexus 5. I was planning on switching to T-Mobile and getting a Nexus 5, but then Verizon offered me too great of a deal to turn down.

Here's the way it breaks down:

Nexus 5 = $350
T-Mobile unlimited talk/text & 2.5GB per month = $60
over 24 months = $1790

Moto X = $200
Verizon Loyalty plan unlimited talk/text & 2GB per month = $60
over 24 months = $1640

I'm in Chicago, so T-Mobile would have been a perfectly acceptable choice in terms of coverage in my regular day-to-day life, but after doing the math, Verizon was simply a no brainer. This isn't about being "held down" by Verizon--unless you define being "held down by Verizon" as Verizon forcing me to save money and offering me better coverage when I travel outside the city. "Geez, Verizon. Please. Stop twisting my arm." Yes, I'm bitter at saving money and having an awesome phone. So bitter.

And as for people "justifying" their decisions to keep their Moto Xs over the Nexus 5 and what you think that might say about them, before getting too judgmental of their choices, you might want to consider the fact that not everyone's priorities are the same as yours.

Last edited:

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

My contract has been expired for while now (17 months). Would you like me to list all the phones that have been released that I've simply passed by because they don't excite me? Keep in mind I'm not "tied down" at all and could very well walk away from Verizon without spending a dime...

Fact is, I believe the Moto X is a better device than the Nexus 5. The spec-dork in you is saying "omgz wut a dummy!" but the utilitarian in me disagrees.

Think about that. What can the Nexus 5 do that the Moto X can't?

Not everyone buys a new phone every two days so they can brag about all the see-pee-youuuzzz and RAMsz it has.

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
My contract has been expired for while now (17 months). Would you like me to list all the phones that have been released that I've simply passed by because they don't excite me? Keep in mind I'm not "tied down" at all and could very well walk away from Verizon without spending a dime...

Fact is, I believe the Moto X is a better device than the Nexus 5. The spec-dork in you is saying "omgz wut a dummy!" but the utilitarian in me disagrees.

Not everyone buys a new phone every two days so they can brag about all the see-pee-youuuzzz and RAMsz it has.

There's not much the moto x can do that the nexus 5 can't, if anything.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
No Cuz then I might be proved wrong :p but go ahead if you must. I can handle the embarrasment

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Posted this in another thread, but you get the idea....

I will still be getting the Moto X over the Nexus 5.

1. Active Display
2. Touchless Notifications.
3. Moto Assist.
4. Camera gesture
5. Form factor
6. Next generation of hardware orientation philosophy.

The Nexus approach just doesn't get my undies twisted like it used to.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x/328891-moto-x-over-nexus-5-a-2.html#post3196733

Can you get Active Display to work on the Nexus 5? Sure, but it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense given the IPS display. Touchless Control? Sure, but you have to rely on Tasker (or whatever else) to optimize for use with the S800 always-on functionality, and even then it's not as polished as Moto's product. Moto Assist is another one that provides really good functionality right out of the box, from my limited experience with it.

The point is that the Nexus 5 is bone stock out of the box and relies on you going through third-parties to improve its functionality. That's not a problem, obviously, as this is Android and that's what Android does best. But the Moto X is optimized for these purposes from the get-go. Does the Nexus 5 promise more future-forward capabilities by virtue of its imposing spec sheet? Maybe, I don't know. But as far as real-world use is concerned, and the utility therein, it just doesn't make sense for me to buy a Nexus 5 over a Moto X.

tl;dr: I'm bitter and stupid and tied down to Verizon.

ImperfectCypher

May 12, 2013
Visit site
5S is nice, there are two things that kept me away from it on verizon and choose the moto X, cant surf and email while on a call (common apple, its 2013, motorola does it, im sure you can find a way), screen on the 5S is just too small. since they are almost the same size (length wise) im sticking with the X. good luck

Uh... Back when I had my 3GS I could talk/browse the web on at&t. That was 5 years ago. Maybe it depends on carrier.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

I am in agreement that the Moto X is a better phone for like 95% of people.
The things that the Nexus can do that the X can't are
1. Impress people who like huge screens
2. Get the newest Android pretty much exactly when it's released.

Still waiting on Motomaker for VZW.
I could force myself to get used to the size of the Nexus in trade off for the updates and pure vanilla, but I can't enjoy any of that without coverage.
Here's a pic from a Google Plus post on how T-Mobile service varies from block to block...
t-mobile.pink.camouflage.com.png

FYI, the office I am typing this in is in an area that is solid pink, but there's no T-Mobile service in this office.
I get Verizon service even in the elevators.

jwcdis

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Well if any of you Verizon owners are going on a exodus for a N5 or iphone 5s I'll be happy to buy a white Verizon moto X (pm). :)

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Actually it was the band, GSM vs. CDMA. You could do data and voice over GSM devices at the same time but could not over CDMA.

It is all dependent on hardware. How the radios are separated. 3g and voice are both done over CDMA on a cdma network, so if your radio hardware cannot have 2 streams, you cannot have both 3g data and voice. Lte chips started the change in this. All lte phones can do both 4g and voice at the same time. On a cdma network. SOME can also do 3g and voice on a cdma network. Early examples would the HTC thunderbolt and the HTC rezound.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm