09-26-2013 07:09 PM
115 12345
tools
    Hoping this update hits AT&T soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    jcochran1977 likes this.
    09-24-2013 09:18 AM
    I've actually got a mixed bag of feelings about this update. First off I'm very pleased with the results we've seen so far with fixing some critical issues with the X. That said, I'm also a bit disappointed that the update didn't include 4.3 as that must mean they are still several weeks away from a 4.3 release. With HTC starting to release 4.3 to devices now, Samsung starting to release 4.3 to devices in October, I was really hoping that Motorola would surprise everyone and beat them all to the punch so to speak by starting a multi carrier rollout of 4.3 for the X.

For anyone who has installed the OTA, was the kernel updated?
    09-24-2013 09:22 AM
    Thanks!
    09-24-2013 09:26 AM
    I've actually got a mixed bag of feelings about this update. First off I'm very pleased with the results we've seen so far with fixing some critical issues with the X. That said, I'm also a bit disappointed that the update didn't include 4.3 as that must mean they are still several weeks away from a 4.3 release. With HTC starting to release 4.3 to devices now, Samsung starting to release 4.3 to devices in October, I was really hoping that Motorola would surprise everyone and beat them all to the punch so to speak by starting a multi carrier rollout of 4.3 for the X.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I'm confident 4.3 will come along soon enough. I, for one, am just grateful that the one nitpicky issue with the X is being addressed right out of the gate.
    aggie and Kamron Erani like this.
    09-24-2013 09:29 AM
    I'm not going to lose any sleep over it either, like I said it's just a little disappointing is all. I don't really at this point "need" any of the 4.3 features over what we have in 4.2.2, several would be nice to get such as AVRCP 1.3 support for Bluetooth A2DP, OpenGL ES 3.0 support for graphics and the other various minor improvements to things like the garbage collector, project butter enhancements, etc... I did see though that on AOSP there are some new branches popping up so maybe Google is gearing up to drop 4.3.1 with a lot of bug fixes so Motorola decided to just push out this bug fix ota and will then resync their code with 4.3.1 and go straight to that?
    TechTinker likes this.
    09-24-2013 09:39 AM
    I'm not going to lose any sleep over it either, like I said it's just a little disappointing is all. I don't really at this point "need" any of the 4.3 features over what we have in 4.2.2, several would be nice to get such as AVRCP 1.3 support for Bluetooth A2DP, OpenGL ES 3.0 support for graphics and the other various minor improvements to things like the garbage collector, project butter enhancements, etc... I did see though that on AOSP there are some new branches popping up so maybe Google is gearing up to drop 4.3.1 with a lot of bug fixes so Motorola decided to just push out this bug fix ota and will then resync their code with 4.3.1 and go straight to that?
    Maybe 4.3 will come soon because the Dev build was leaked. That phone call issue and camera issue were deal breakers if Motorola didn't fix those problems promptly. I am actually surprised at how fast they rolled out a fix for those. The camera looks way better but still needs some tweaking. I can see purplish pink hue in some pictures, and low-low-light pictures look like it could use some improvements. Overall great job Motorola!

Posted via Android Central App
    09-24-2013 10:22 AM
    I happy for this update and will be even more happier when it comes to At&t. I'm not a big picture taker so the camera didn't bother like many, but I can notice the difference in the pics after the update, and they look much better.
    09-24-2013 11:03 AM
    Nobody named Roger said anything of the sort, what are you trying to pull here?

09-24-2013 12:23 PM
    I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I'm confident 4.3 will come along soon enough. I, for one, am just grateful that the one nitpicky issue with the X is being addressed right out of the gate.
    2nd. I see time and time again people aren’t happy until it has 4.3, costs less. It’s like, c’mon, and until then, people are going to complain and be disappointed? Why be disappointed when you know it came out with 4.2, Google made it clear they won’t be treated differently and yet this expectation. Sh—y camera, they fixed it. Awesome. An expectation that the person you call can hear you, sure. If you promise something on such a such a general date/time, an expectation is in order. The phone has been out one month, moto never said 4.3 in that time, in fact, they made it clear people should *not* have that expectation.
    09-24-2013 12:23 PM

Imagine the outcry if the opposite were true and they pushed 4.3 without a camera update.
    Kamron Erani and jephanie like this.
    09-24-2013 12:47 PM
    there is nothing much going on in 4.3 release, the whole point of 4.3 release was to add trim support so that google can get the nexus 7 to work again & improve its performance ..as they were lot of complaints that nexus 7 starts to lags terribly after sometime ..X already has trim support that moto implemented ..but I expect 4.4 to have some good updates from android ..i would expect kitkat update to hit X before end of this year..
    jephanie likes this.
    09-24-2013 01:01 PM
    there is nothing much going on in 4.3 release, the whole point of 4.3 release was to add trim support so that google can get the nexus 7 to work again & improve its performance ..as they were lot of complaints that nexus 7 starts to lags terribly after sometime ..X already has trim support that moto implemented ..but I expect 4.4 to have some good updates from android ..i would expect kitkat update to hit X before end of this year..
    My thought also.. Add the heavy bonuses of 4.3 to moto x 4.2 and begin development on 4.4. I think the whole no special treatment from Google to Motorola should be taken with a grain of salt.

Moto using stock android is going to make developing updates far easier than Samsung will be able to.

09-24-2013 01:12 PM
    This. I had 4.3 for GNEX which helped for trim support and the best thing about it was that i bluetooth in my car now showed song names LOL. 4.2.2 on the X already does both so I am good. I actually hope they skip 4.3 completely and go kitkat. Don't waste your time moto.
    09-24-2013 01:24 PM
    It's too bad they couldn't fix the camera with an app update. It could take weeks for carriers like Verizon to roll out the update.
    09-24-2013 01:45 PM
    It's too bad they couldn't fix the camera with an app update. It could take weeks for carriers like Verizon to roll out the update.
    i think the problem with the camera deals with the filmware more than camera app software. A camera app can improve the picture, but it boils down to what the filmware captures. An OTA update is the only solution to the camera problem.
    09-24-2013 01:52 PM
    It has definitely improved the washed out issue, but I still see problems. For example, look at the bottom left corner of this picture, there is a greenish tint to the wall and the woman's legs. And in these photos, example1 and example2 the sky in the left corner is purple.
    09-24-2013 02:18 PM
    It has definitely improved the washed out issue, but I still see problems. For example, look at the bottom left corner of this picture, there is a greenish tint to the wall and the woman's legs. And in these photos, example1 and example2 the sky in the left corner is purple.
    Hm, I don't really the see the green, sort of see it, but not as a big problem if one at all. Oh gosh did not notice that, was too busy saying that it looks better the G2 (With its amazing camera to quote the ad) atleast to me.
    09-24-2013 02:29 PM
    I agree with you that the Moto X picture looks better than the G2 one in that example. I can see more detail and the colors seem to pop more. Can't wait to get the update on Verizon!
    09-24-2013 03:05 PM
    Well, there's one pretty big thing in the 4.3 update: proper support for Bluetooth LE. And I, for one, *really* want that support so that the Fitbit I have can sync direct to the phone instead of needing to get close to a proprietary bluetooth dongle.
    DJJeffT likes this.
    09-24-2013 03:22 PM
    And in these photos, example1 and example2 the sky in the left corner is purple.
    example 2: I think that's just a tone of chromatic aberration. You got a tone of dark/black branches against white cloud + a cell phone lens.
    It created effect of purple sky, when in reality its just tone of purple fringe around branches edge.

Took a sec to fix example 2 in PS with simple Image > Adjustment > Hue/Saturation > Magentas > Hue to the left... removed purple effect while the rest of the pic stayed the same.
    09-24-2013 04:29 PM
    Don't be a noob. There not going to stop production and wait for all the carriers to send the update to them. OTA is simple and no way stop or delay there efforts in getting the customer there phones in a timely manner....
    He was asking if the phones being built today and forward are going to have the OTA baked in the software. Nothing in his post led me to believe he was asking if they were going to halt production so that pre-sold phones could get the update first... "Don't be a Noob"

Moto X
    jephanie likes this.
    09-24-2013 04:44 PM
    Although I just ordered one, and therefore don't need to be persuaded, this sound like good news, removing one of the only dings reviewers tended to mention. I don't see the camera in a phone to be of critical importance - just competency in share-able snapshots is all I'm looking for.

The before and after shots were generally improved, but not all I "agreed with".

However looking at the variety of shots vs. the other cameras, there appears to be much room for improvement for those that look at their phones as their primary camera (I don't).
    Paisley likes this.
    09-24-2013 05:16 PM
    The phones are same, its just that t-mobile got it first, ATT/verizon/sprint should be already testing this build in there labs, would eventually be rolled out to all carriers in coming weeks.
    Except Verizon which will take 3-8 weeks longer than the rest
    09-24-2013 11:09 PM
    ..I would expect kitkat update to hit X before end of this year..
    ...... if so verizon might not get that update til 2014 ,lol
    09-25-2013 05:47 AM
    The rest of the carriers should be racing to get this update out. Kudos to T-Mobile for moving so quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    jephanie likes this.
    09-25-2013 07:21 AM
115 12345