new moto x update dramatically-improves-camera-quality

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Well this may be why I indeed pick up a Moto x over the nexus 5. Want the N5 but if it doesnt have touchless control. I'll roll :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Despite this welcomed and timely update, I reminded myself that Motomaker still isn't available on Verizon and it still doesn't come in wood and I still don't have one.

Moto X: worst phone ever.

Good point. Cuz I find lately I want a 32gb. POS phone. Lol. It also doesn’t come fast enough in the mail. *cancels order*

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Well this may be why I indeed pick up a Moto x over the nexus 5. Want the N5 but if it doesnt have touchless control. I'll roll :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

I'm so curious how the whole N5 thing is gonna play out. If it will be just about the same phone but have higher specs and cost less, this will be very interesting.

Kamron Erani

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm so curious how the whole N5 thing is gonna play out. If it will be just about the same phone but have higher specs and cost less, this will be very interesting.

damn the only reason I would be buying the n5 over the moto X now is if motorola made the n5, and that isn't happening. You made me proud motorola... you made me proud.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
damn the only reason I would be buying the n5 over the moto X now is if motorola made the n5, and that isn't happening. You made me proud motorola... you made me proud.

ah, i forgot about that. So it will def. not have the notification or twisty cam or voice controls.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Here are two before and afters

Moto X

Is the refrig back to back!? Unreal the light it's capturing now.

In still confused on why we didn't get a camera like this out of the box.. In other words what could of happened? Did they feel the camera was good then?

Posted via Android Central App

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
ah, i forgot about that. So it will def. not have the notification or twisty cam or voice controls.
Even if Moto made a Nexus device, it still wouldn't have those features since they're not a part of stock Google Android; they're add-ons.

Basically, people have coveted Nexus phones in the past partly because they're a vacation from cluttered UI's (I'm looking at you, Samsung and HTC). The Moto X has a close-to-stock UI, plus some very useful features like you mentioned. In that way, it's my opinion that Nexus is a downgrade from what Motorola is currently offering.

But Nexus isn't really meant for consumers, honestly. It's a moderately priced phone, unlocked with zero fluff and the newest version of Android so developers can have a blank canvas to work with.

The reason we get excited about Nexus phones is because we're dorks.

Last edited:

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Im sure this was the quality they were shooting for at launch ..one should understand that there is lot of engineering work that goes in to this considering that this is new clearpixel sensor and all ..its takes time to get it right ..basically they were not able to finish the work before launch date ..and it probably didnt make sense for them to delay phone launch specially in the crowded market with iphone and galaxy note launching soon ..they would have lost lot of money and compromised on contracts they had with carriers to meet the deadlines. Im not defending moto for mis-steps ..but thats what should have happened ..

In still confused on why we didn't get a camera like this out of the box.. In other words what could of happened? Did they feel the camera was good then?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I'll wait and see when this comes to verizon because the camera was what was holding me back. Hopefully not to much longer to wait.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Yeah. I new the update was coming from the blog posts. So I took the pics, downloaded the update, installed the update, and then took the pics again. The after pic of the fridge had more sunlight but as you can still see the color of the stainless steel is more vibrant.

Moto X

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That one screen shot pretty much addresses all of the consistent complaints... hey other OEM's... notice this. Now lets see how the carriers handle rolling this out.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Full change log https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/96073

Camera – Improved Photo Quality Improved capture of natural light (auto-white balance) and color accuracy for more precise exposure in outdoor and backlit scenes
Camera – Improved Focus Faster touch to focus time and reduced unnecessary refocusing in low light conditions and scenes with continuous motion
Camera – Faster Switching Shortened the time it takes to switch between rear and front-facing cameras, as well as transition between the viewfinder and the Gallery app
Enhanced Touchless Control Increased accuracy and responsiveness when using Touchless Control, and added easier training of the “OK Google Now” trigger
Improved Motorola Migrate Experience Improved transfer of content from an old Android phone to a new Motorola phone
Google Drive – 50GB Promotion Added a promotion expiration date - customers have 30 days from phone activation or installation of this update to redeem the 50GB offer
Calling – Improved Voice Quality Fixed an issue that could sometimes result in choppy audio being heard by the person you’re talking with on your Moto X
Moto Care – Lost Device Finder Fixed an issue that could sometimes prevent a lost phone from reporting its location to the Moto Care Lost Device Finder service
Motorola Assist – Driving Detection Fixed an issue that could sometimes cause the phone to read out text messages and announce calls when not in Drive mode

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar