10-06-2013 07:01 PM
61 123
tools
    Well, yes you can. It's pretty easy too. You put them next to each other and pick which one looks best.
    My point wasn't what looked best..what looks best won't allow active notifications to work correctly.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-25-2013 07:17 PM
    Used both extensively and there is no contest. Moto X runs circles around the S4. Even if you get an S4 that is lag free, touchwiz drags like a fat kid in gym class compared to the near stock experience that is the Moto X. The screen on the X is fantastic. There is no screen as pure as the HTC ONE display but even side by side you have to really look to see a difference.

P.S I was the fat kid

Sent from my white Moto X
    09-25-2013 07:42 PM
    Ok this made me laugh when I saw the last sentence

Used both extensively and there is no contest. Moto X runs circles around the S4. Even if you get an S4 that is lag free, touchwiz drags like a fat kid in gym class compared to the near stock experience that is the Moto X. The screen on the X is fantastic. There is no screen as pure as the HTC ONE display but even side by side you have to really look to see a difference.

P.S I was the fat kid

Sent from my white Moto X
    benhmadison likes this.
    09-25-2013 07:45 PM
    I tried a Nexus 7 and didn't like the stock experience. I use the built in OTG support Touchwiz offers, I like to be able to change my fonts on the fly. I didn't realize things like this were Touchwiz until I used the Nexus. That's just me. So, the Moto X's display is better to you because the Moto X doesn't have Touchwiz? Did I misread that? I must not be a power user, I don't do anything that allows me to notice the lag so many suggest my S4 has.

However, my question was in regards to display quality amongst the aforementioned, not opinions on lag. I understand the S4 is not a popular device here but every question comparing any aspect of it shouldn't need to mention lag which many have never seen.

Note 8.0
    09-25-2013 07:48 PM
    Well I took back the S4 and got the Moto X and the difference is very obvious. While the S4 from a spec standpoint might be more impressive, the smoothness of the and Moto X shines and makes it faster.

Sent from my XT1056 using AC Forums mobile app
    davidnc, benhmadison and kioshi like this.
    09-25-2013 08:04 PM
    Well I took back the S4 and got the Moto X and the difference is very obvious. While the S4 from a spec standpoint might be more impressive, the smoothness of the and Moto X shines and makes it faster.

Sent from my XT1056 using AC Forums mobile app
    Just wait till you start utilizing the functions of the X.

Enjoy

09-25-2013 08:14 PM
    The lag only gets worse on the S4.

have to agree with this
    09-25-2013 10:04 PM
    My moto x is kicking ***

davidnc likes this.
    09-25-2013 10:10 PM
    Why not have a GS4 with the Google Play Edition ROM on it? Or an actual GPE? It gives you the lag-free UI of the X but the amazing specs of the S4 :P
    09-26-2013 07:33 PM
    Why not have a GS4 with the Google Play Edition ROM on it? Or an actual GPE? It gives you the lag-free UI of the X but the amazing specs of the S4 :P
    The actual GPE doesn't allow all apps to write to the to the SD card since the update to 4.3

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4
    09-26-2013 08:22 PM
    Some of the "lag" on the S4 may be addressed by not running as many widgets and keeping the home screens to a minimum. If the lag is still persistent then consider a third-party launcher, which may help address this issue but you'll lose anything tied to Touchwiz. Keep in mind that Touchwiz, although great, is pretty taxing on the device when you consider how many features/widgets/apps the device is trying to process.
    09-26-2013 11:51 PM
    Some of the "lag" on the S4 may be addressed by not running as many widgets and keeping the home screens to a minimum. If the lag is still persistent then consider a third-party launcher, which may help address this issue but you'll lose anything tied to Touchwiz. Keep in mind that Touchwiz, although great, is pretty taxing on the device when you consider how many features/widgets/apps the device is trying to process.
    I get what your saying but in my world I shouldn't have to turn anything off or limit things so my phone runs good. On my Moto X I have all my widgets I want, GPS, Bluetooth and wireless running and the phone shows no lag. iPhone users don't have to turn anything off for there phones to run good and my girl doesn't want to on her s4 either. She bought a top shelf phone and expects it to run like one.

UI skins are holding android growth back in my opinion. Moto X is the best effort I've seen.. no gimmicks and the features work.

shady28, RayMabry, davidnc and 1 others like this.
    09-27-2013 12:07 AM
    I get what your saying but in my world I shouldn't have to turn anything off or limit things so my phone runs good. On my Moto X I have all my widgets I want, GPS, Bluetooth and wireless running and the phone shows no lag. iPhone users don't have to turn anything off for there phones to run good and my girl doesn't want to on her s4 either. She bought a top shelf phone and expects it to run like one.

UI skins are holding android growth back in my opinion. Moto X is the best effort I've seen.. no gimmicks and the features work.

But iOS doesn't even have widgets. iOS does limit things by not even offering that functionality.

FWIW, I have most of that stuff you listed running (no Bluetooth) and I don't get any lag on my S4 running Nova.
    09-27-2013 09:01 AM
    You can't compare them to the moto in my opinion. The moto went with a AMOLED screen because its properties allow active notifications to light up only some pixels. I've heard of LCD technology doing this also but haven't seen it.

The Droid mini has active notifications and an LCD screen. Maybe they don't turn off the black pixels though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    09-27-2013 09:46 AM
    The Droid mini has active notifications and an LCD screen. Maybe they don't turn off the black pixels though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    The Mini has a limited version of the Active Display. It doesn't breathe and only displays the notifications temporarily when they're received and when the phone is manhandled. On the Amoled screens the notifications will breathe as long as the screen is face up.

The Mini has a Notification LED built in to mitigate the decreased functionality of the Active Display though.
    09-27-2013 10:44 AM
    I wish the Moto X was available in the UK. *Sulking*

Sent using a Samsung Galaxy S3 and Tapatalk 4

I'm usually on Twitter @Ichi_Bear ;-)
    09-27-2013 10:44 AM
    But iOS doesn't even have widgets. iOS does limit things by not even offering that functionality.

FWIW, I have most of that stuff you listed running (no Bluetooth) and I don't get any lag on my S4 running Nova.
    Do you have a moto X also?

09-27-2013 11:15 AM
    Do you have a moto X also?

No, but my wife has an iPhone 5 which is generally regarded as a "lag free" device. I've had my S4 since the first day it was out on Verizon and after the last firmware update back in July I haven't had any lag issues. It most certainly hasn't gotten worse.
    09-27-2013 11:34 AM
    I've been patiently waiting for the ability to unlock the Verizon versions boot loader so I can make my girls a Google edition. She wants to throw her phone half the time. Camera stalls, won't open, apps hang.. Pretty much stuff typical of touchwiz skin.

Great specs and camera but awful skin UI

I have an S4 and it is just as smooth as ever so I do not think the experience you are speaking about is the majority opinion. In fact, I own two S4's one being a Google Editon and while I like it for different reasons over my touch wiz version, it (TW) is not noticably inferior in smoothness in my experience.
    09-27-2013 11:50 AM
    Maybe this is why I have not pulled the trigger on the moto x...I have the S4 GPE and is it in my opinion the best android device I have used, and I have used a lot. It is everything I wanted my Nexus to be and then some! I actually took the money I had saved for the moto x and bought a Lumia 1020 Windows Phone...great pictures but an absolute brick to carry around and WP is promising but not quite there for me yet.. Still got my money and still waiting...

Not trying to slam the Moto X, but I just do not get the wow factor, especially with what I read about the camera. I suffered through that with the Nexus 4. How many of you are off to the next Nexus if it has a S 800, LTE, 32GB etc? Just waitng to hear about that...
    09-27-2013 11:55 AM
    You can do it if you root it, same as the TW S4
    09-27-2013 11:56 AM
    The actual GPE doesn't allow all apps to write to the to the SD card since the update to 4.3

This is partly true...it does not allow third party apps to write or delete from the ext SD card. It is a fairly easy fix although if you are not inclinded to mess with the fix, ES file explorer can move, write and delete to and from the ext SD car so not really a big issue. Having that 64GB of additonal storage is great as well as it coming with 12+GB of internal storage since it is not touch wiz weighted down.
    09-27-2013 11:58 AM
    This is partly true...it does not allow third party apps to write or delete from the ext SD card. It is a fairly easy fix although if you are not inclinded to mess with the fix, ES file explorer can move, write and delete to and from the ext SD car so not really a big issue. Having that 64GB of additonal storage is great as well as it coming with 12+GB of internal storage since it is not touch wiz weighted down.
    What's not true about the statement? It doesn't allow every app to write to the SD card. Perhaps it's vague in comparsion, but hardly untrue.

At any rate, it seems like a big issue for those that don't want to have to fix the device. Apps like Spotify loses the ability to auto-save onto the External SD and you can't exactly just move the songs over with ES File Explorer and have the app play them. Plus backing up app information directly to the EXT SD goes out the window. Just seems like a big hassle if you don't actually do the fix. I'd rather spend my money on the 32 GB Moto X and live with that.

09-28-2013 01:13 PM
    Okay guys. Here is my 2 cents.

I spent a month with the s4 gpe. I then moved to the htc one dual booting gpe Rom and HTC sense. I switched due to build quality. low light camera performance and build quality.

Fast forward four months later. I pick up a moto x. Very impressed. At first I was hesitant due to it's display and specs. Not much a fan of amoled displays. However after spending about a week with the Moto X it's hard to go back to a phone without active notifications. How often do you pull your phone from your pocket to check the time and notifications ? Well this breathes the time. No need to press anything.

Also I never thought I would use the touchless Google now controls on it. I was eating lunch and my hands were full, a quick okay Google now text so and so did the job. It was great.

Also the form factor of the Moto X is amazing. Almost edge to edge display it feels. Great design. I love my HTC one. however they both have there advantages.

Go feel them in person. Do you prefer the size of the Moto X? Also you have software buttons and a hardware and capacitive on the s4.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    09-28-2013 01:24 PM
    Moto x definitely. Smooth. And this:

09-28-2013 01:28 PM
61 123