Moto x vs S4

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
You can't compare them to the moto in my opinion. The moto went with a AMOLED screen because its properties allow active notifications to light up only some pixels. I've heard of LCD technology doing this also but haven't seen it.

Posted via Android Central App

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
You can't compare them to the moto in my opinion. The moto went with a AMOLED screen because its properties allow active notifications to light up only some pixels. I've heard of LCD technology doing this also but haven't seen it.

Well, the S4 has an SAMOLED display so it should be able to compare shouldn't it?

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Used both extensively and there is no contest. Moto X runs circles around the S4. Even if you get an S4 that is lag free, touchwiz drags like a fat kid in gym class compared to the near stock experience that is the Moto X. The screen on the X is fantastic. There is no screen as pure as the HTC ONE display but even side by side you have to really look to see a difference.

P.S I was the fat kid:)

Sent from my white Moto X

mount.zed

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Ok this made me laugh when I saw the last sentence

Used both extensively and there is no contest. Moto X runs circles around the S4. Even if you get an S4 that is lag free, touchwiz drags like a fat kid in gym class compared to the near stock experience that is the Moto X. The screen on the X is fantastic. There is no screen as pure as the HTC ONE display but even side by side you have to really look to see a difference.

P.S I was the fat kid:)

Sent from my white Moto X

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I tried a Nexus 7 and didn't like the stock experience. I use the built in OTG support Touchwiz offers, I like to be able to change my fonts on the fly. I didn't realize things like this were Touchwiz until I used the Nexus. That's just me. So, the Moto X's display is better to you because the Moto X doesn't have Touchwiz? Did I misread that? I must not be a power user, I don't do anything that allows me to notice the lag so many suggest my S4 has.

However, my question was in regards to display quality amongst the aforementioned, not opinions on lag. I understand the S4 is not a popular device here but every question comparing any aspect of it shouldn't need to mention lag which many have never seen.

Note 8.0

phippsy84

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well I took back the S4 and got the Moto X and the difference is very obvious. While the S4 from a spec standpoint might be more impressive, the smoothness of the and Moto X shines and makes it faster.

Sent from my XT1056 using AC Forums mobile app

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Well I took back the S4 and got the Moto X and the difference is very obvious. While the S4 from a spec standpoint might be more impressive, the smoothness of the and Moto X shines and makes it faster.

Sent from my XT1056 using AC Forums mobile app

Just wait till you start utilizing the functions of the X.

Enjoy

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Why not have a GS4 with the Google Play Edition ROM on it? Or an actual GPE? It gives you the lag-free UI of the X but the amazing specs of the S4 :p

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Why not have a GS4 with the Google Play Edition ROM on it? Or an actual GPE? It gives you the lag-free UI of the X but the amazing specs of the S4 :p

The actual GPE doesn't allow all apps to write to the to the SD card since the update to 4.3

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Some of the "lag" on the S4 may be addressed by not running as many widgets and keeping the home screens to a minimum. If the lag is still persistent then consider a third-party launcher, which may help address this issue but you'll lose anything tied to Touchwiz. Keep in mind that Touchwiz, although great, is pretty taxing on the device when you consider how many features/widgets/apps the device is trying to process.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Some of the "lag" on the S4 may be addressed by not running as many widgets and keeping the home screens to a minimum. If the lag is still persistent then consider a third-party launcher, which may help address this issue but you'll lose anything tied to Touchwiz. Keep in mind that Touchwiz, although great, is pretty taxing on the device when you consider how many features/widgets/apps the device is trying to process.

I get what your saying but in my world I shouldn't have to turn anything off or limit things so my phone runs good. On my Moto X I have all my widgets I want, GPS, Bluetooth and wireless running and the phone shows no lag. iPhone users don't have to turn anything off for there phones to run good and my girl doesn't want to on her s4 either. She bought a top shelf phone and expects it to run like one.

UI skins are holding android growth back in my opinion. Moto X is the best effort I've seen.. no gimmicks and the features work.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I get what your saying but in my world I shouldn't have to turn anything off or limit things so my phone runs good. On my Moto X I have all my widgets I want, GPS, Bluetooth and wireless running and the phone shows no lag. iPhone users don't have to turn anything off for there phones to run good and my girl doesn't want to on her s4 either. She bought a top shelf phone and expects it to run like one.

UI skins are holding android growth back in my opinion. Moto X is the best effort I've seen.. no gimmicks and the features work.

But iOS doesn't even have widgets. iOS does limit things by not even offering that functionality.

FWIW, I have most of that stuff you listed running (no Bluetooth) and I don't get any lag on my S4 running Nova.

mfdemicco

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

The Droid mini has active notifications and an LCD screen. Maybe they don't turn off the black pixels though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
The Droid mini has active notifications and an LCD screen. Maybe they don't turn off the black pixels though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

The Mini has a limited version of the Active Display. It doesn't breathe and only displays the notifications temporarily when they're received and when the phone is manhandled. On the Amoled screens the notifications will breathe as long as the screen is face up.

The Mini has a Notification LED built in to mitigate the decreased functionality of the Active Display though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood