09-28-2013 09:23 PM
59 123
tools
    I'm currently an iPhone users who's been looking for the right Android to try and I think the Moto X may be it. I'm also currently a T-Mobile customer so I'll be jumping ship and moving to AT&T (most likely) since I don't really want to pay $649 after tax for it out of pocket!

My question is, regardless of how the Moto X performs, it is closer to a mid-range device vs a high-end or flagship device. At $249 for a 32 GB model it has high-end price tag. My question is, is it worth the 2-year contract or does that just seem like too long of a commitment for the Moto X? Has anyone used their upgrades on the Moto X?
    09-25-2013 04:11 PM
    How is it closer to a mid range then high? Id be interested in hearing your take on this..

Posted via Android Central App
    09-25-2013 04:14 PM
    I'm currently an iPhone users who's been looking for the right Android to try and I think the Moto X may be it. I'm also currently a T-Mobile customer so I'll be jumping ship and moving to AT&T (most likely) since I don't really want to pay $649 after tax for it out of pocket!

My question is, regardless of how the Moto X performs, it is closer to a mid-range device vs a high-end or flagship device. At $249 for a 32 GB model it has high-end price tag. My question is, is it worth the 2-year contract or does that just seem like too long of a commitment for the Moto X? Has anyone used their upgrades on the Moto X?
    The Moto X is high end. No two ways about it.

09-25-2013 04:14 PM
    Well, I guess I'm speaking spec-wise and going off of what some reviews I'm reading and watching. I know specs don't tell the tale of a device but when you match it up spec for spec (dual core vs quad, 720 vs 1080 resolution, camera features, battery size, screen size, etc) When put up again the S4, HTC One, LG G2 it would appear on paper that those are a bit more high-end. When I've played with it at AT&T, there is a definite difference in the screen quality on the X vs the S4 and G2 & HTC One. Day to day performance is what I'm trying to find out about...How will it hold up over time. I'm new to Android so for me I don't know how something is going to hold up over the course of two years.
    09-25-2013 04:22 PM
    Well, I guess I'm speaking spec-wise and going off of what some reviews I'm reading and watching. I know specs don't tell the tale of a device but when you match it up spec for spec (dual core vs quad, 720 vs 1080 resolution, camera features, battery size, screen size, etc) When put up again the S4, HTC One, LG G2 it would appear on paper that those are a bit more high-end. When I've played with it at AT&T, there is a definite difference in the screen quality on the X vs the S4 and G2 & HTC One. Day to day performance is what I'm trying to find out about...How will it hold up over time. I'm new to Android so for me I don't know how something is going to hold up over the course of two years.

Day to day performance on the Moto X will hold up, the NAND it uses I think is newer and faster plus it has a better version of TRIM then Android 4.3!

09-25-2013 04:29 PM
    I'm sorry, but you're a current iPhone user who is pegging the Moto X as a mid-range device based on specs? I feel like those complaints usually come from Samsung refugees.

My best advice to you is to go to the store and actually get some hands-on time with one. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    09-25-2013 04:37 PM

First - Welcome to Android!

I'm also a previous (or maybe currently - who knows) iPhone user, so I get where you are coming from.

You sound similar to me, where you research things for hours before making a decision on a gadget. Normally that is all fine and dandy, the problem is when the Moto X was announced, all the techies freaked out because the specs were lower than some of the other flagship phones. On paper it was inferior, most websites took that and ran with it.

It wasn't until the Moto X started getting into consumer hands did the tune change quite quickly. It's now labeled as one of the superior phones (outside of the camera which is getting tweaked with updates at the moment) and people either love it for the actual in hand experience, or hate it because they can't get their mind wrapped around the spec numbers.

I think it would do well on a 2 year contract, it does run insanely smooth and because it isn't so bloated I think it will get you to your next update no problem.

Be careful around the Moto X when talking about it's "inferiority complex" spec wise, people tend to get up in arms and defensive *cough cough*.

Again, welcome!
    gdmin and rockitdog23 like this.
    09-25-2013 04:45 PM
    Here is my advice. Gotta dig a lil deeper on your understanding of moto X and their hardware choices. Everything has a rhyme and reason to it, unlike Samsung that just throws the latest hardware into a sloppy UI that will send you running back to apple.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7235/moto-x-review

Read this review if you haven't, its completely exhaustive in comparison to the others. You'll leave that feeling good about the Moto. Then run around here and see what owners say, but yes we are going to get defensive when someone slaps the mid range name tag on us, those that do know why this phone isn't midrange.

Personally I can't describe how awesome this phone is. The thing just works. Currently I'm excited to get my navigation dock to start using Assist more without it being in my lap. This phone will be in my hands for a while.

wnflyer and benhmadison like this.
    09-25-2013 05:10 PM
    I'm sorry, but you're a current iPhone user who is pegging the Moto X as a mid-range device based on specs? I feel like those complaints usually come from Samsung refugees.

My best advice to you is to go to the store and actually get some hands-on time with one. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    FYI, the iPhone actually has high end specs, it beats the S600 and S800. Doesn't seem mid range

Alik Malix likes this.
    09-25-2013 05:27 PM
    Nothing about the Moto X is mid-range. The one, and I mean one, criticism is the camera and that will be dealt with shortly as the firmware update is rolled out (Sprint and T-Mobile have it already). The phone performs amazingly in all respects. I'd describe it as a no BS phone. It includes a very small set of unique/amazing/intelligent features while remaining nearly a stock Android device and does this while providing all day battery life for even the most demanding users....nothing mid range about that.
    09-25-2013 06:25 PM
    FYI, the iPhone actually has high end specs, it beats the S600 and S800. Doesn't seem mid range

Hey hey woopdee doo.
    09-25-2013 06:28 PM
    Just to give you a perspective on how good of engineering job that moto / Google has done on moto x ..for any other android phone to pull off the features( always on voice, active display, assist, camera gesture) the phone will need to have ~4400mah battery to provide same battery life as moto x..

lbaxter likes this.
    09-25-2013 06:34 PM
    I was snooping around the g2 forums we are getting just as good of battery as they are and their battery is huge in comparison to ours.

09-25-2013 06:37 PM
    Hey hey woopdee doo.
    Just sayin you were wrong

Alik Malix likes this.
    09-25-2013 06:37 PM

Read the review that the prior poster linked to. The X is not about specs. Its about ergonomics and usability, things that the Android ecosystem ignored far too long. If you just want specs, get A G2.
    On the Apple side - I have an iMac, Macbook Pro, iPad 2 /3G 64GB. My first Mac was an eMac. I just came from an iPhone 4. Wife has a 4S.

All I can say is, Android as rendered by Motorola in its new phones provides a superior experience to the iPhone and iOS 7. And yes I tried out the 5s and 5c, and I have iOS 7 on the iPad2. Lipstick on a pig.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2
    gdmin and benhmadison like this.
    09-25-2013 06:40 PM
    Just sayin you were wrong

The OP has an iPhone 5. I have a feeling you're talking about the 5S, which seems irrelevant.

Look at what his concerns are: cores, battery size, screen size/resolution. No matter how you cut it, the iPhone 5 has a modest spec sheet by those metrics. My original comment was tying in the optimization vs. spec war consideration; Apple clearly optimizes, while Samsung fires for raw horsepower.

Given your predilection for crawling up Apple's moist places, I'm not surprised you jumped the gun a bit. But I'm not wrong. You're creating an argument out of thin air.
    09-25-2013 06:47 PM
    The OP has an iPhone 5. I have a feeling you're talking about the 5S, which seems irrelevant.

Look at what his concerns are: cores, battery size, screen size/resolution. No matter how you cut it, the iPhone 5 has a modest spec sheet by those metrics. My original comment was tying in the optimization vs. spec war consideration; Apple clearly optimizes, while Samsung fires for raw horsepower.

Given your predilection for crawling up Apple's moist places, I'm not surprised you jumped the gun a bit. But I'm not wrong. You're creating an argument out of thin air.
    Your last paragraph really wasn't needed and wanted.

09-25-2013 07:39 PM
    Read the review that the prior poster linked to. The X is not about specs. Its about ergonomics and usability, things that the Android ecosystem ignored far too long. If you just want specs, get A G2.
    On the Apple side - I have an iMac, Macbook Pro, iPad 2 /3G 64GB. My first Mac was an eMac. I just came from an iPhone 4. Wife has a 4S.

All I can say is, Android as rendered by Motorola in its new phones provides a superior experience to the iPhone and iOS 7. And yes I tried out the 5s and 5c, and I have iOS 7 on the iPad2. Lipstick on a pig.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2
    I don't want specs. You misunderstood me. I think the Moto X simply is the best Android phone.

Alik Malix likes this.
    09-25-2013 07:43 PM
    The x will definitely be good for two years. Device performance aside it's Googlrola's first born and it will definitely get support for a long time. As far as the device I've had all of the "high end" android devices except for the g2 and note 3 and I wouldn't even consider going back to any of them. Get the X, you won't regret it.

Sent from my white Moto X
    davidnc likes this.
    09-25-2013 07:57 PM
    I switched from the flagship HTC one to the Moto X. I am very happy. The spec war can suck it.
    Motorola got so many things right on this phone.
    I'm not missing my higher specced HTC one at all.

davidnc and benhmadison like this.
    09-25-2013 09:35 PM
    The Moto X is high end. No two ways about it.

totally agree
    davidnc likes this.
    09-25-2013 10:55 PM
    I switched from the flagship HTC one to the Moto X. I am very happy. The spec war can suck it.
    Motorola got so many things right on this phone.
    I'm not missing my higher specced HTC one at all.

so correct on this....this phone is smooth hands down...i am just waiting on verizon to introduce the moto maker, my girl couldnt wait so i play with hers a lot
    09-25-2013 10:56 PM
    I've spent the last four months using the htc one as my daily driver. I picked up a Moto X and couldn't be happier. Still love my one and I think they both have pros and cons. Both great devices. I'll happily switch between the two until the new nexus comes out. Then add that to the mix up.

Active notifications are amazing. I love it. This phone is quick. Smooth. Snappy. Frankly it handles chrome better than the one in some situations. Great phone. Can't go wrong. You can pick one up off contract for 586 out the door.

Sent from my HTC One
    09-26-2013 01:01 AM

The moto x is defiantly worth the 2-year price. I came from the 4s and I haven't looked back once. As for you, is this a phone meant for you for the next two years? Well that is according to what you like in a phone. My advice is try the moto x for a week. If you dislike the product as a whole, then return the phone. if you like the phone then come back and we will answer any question you have.

09-26-2013 06:34 PM
    If you but a sixteen gig in store its 540 plus tax. 586 or so out the door as they have tax on a different amount. That is confirmed at att

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2
    09-26-2013 07:00 PM
59 123