My initial experience with the Moto X

ret63

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to share my initial experience with the Moto X and it?s all very positive.
First off I am former iPhone 5 user but always considered myself android curious.
My company builds mobile applications so I have access to many different models.
I my first android phone experience came when I picked up the HTC one Google Play Edition. The phone itself was solid and sexy and a real stock Android experience.

Initial things I missed about my iPhone 5 ?
Notifications
Battery Life.
Always crashing nasty iTunes desktop app.

Things I did not miss about my iPhone 5 ?
Screen real estate (size)
Ability to customize just about anything.
Google Play Store.

After about two months of using the HTC one I have to say the battery life was killing me. I was becoming Powerphobic running from charger to charger just to keep feeding this beast and I consider myself not exactly a heavy user.

Finally I had an opportunity to sell my company the HTC one as a tester unit and get something else.
I picked up the Moto X and so far I am very impressed.

Things I like ?
Active notifications
Battery Life
Touchless controls
Motorola Assist
Motorola Connect (desktop messaging plugin, similar to Apple?s iMessage)
Skip- NFC unlocking

Things I don?t like ?
So far I have not found it yet.
I had one issue that I thought to be a bug but figured out the problem.
When I was driving occasionally the music would randomly start playing at random times. I figure out that in the Motorola Assist app?s driving settings (if you are using Bluetooth hands free) there is no need to use the ?Resume Music Play? option. I unchecked this and the gremlin went away.
So far I have not use the camera a whole lot but I intend to test this soon. I hear it was pretty bad but a system update has greatly improved it.
I will add more as soon as I test.

R

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to share my initial experience with the Moto X and it’s all very positive.
First off I am former iPhone 5 user but always considered myself android curious.
My company builds mobile applications so I have access to many different models.
I my first android phone experience came when I picked up the HTC one Google Play Edition. The phone itself was solid and sexy and a real stock Android experience.

Initial things I missed about my iPhone 5 –
Notifications
Battery Life.
Always crashing nasty iTunes desktop app.

Things I did not miss about my iPhone 5 –
Screen real estate (size)
Ability to customize just about anything.
Google Play Store.

After about two months of using the HTC one I have to say the battery life was killing me. I was becoming Powerphobic running from charger to charger just to keep feeding this beast and I consider myself not exactly a heavy user.

Finally I had an opportunity to sell my company the HTC one as a tester unit and get something else.
I picked up the Moto X and so far I am very impressed.

Things I like –
Active notifications
Battery Life
Touchless controls
Motorola Assist
Motorola Connect (desktop messaging plugin, similar to Apple’s iMessage)
Skip- NFC unlocking

Things I don’t like –
So far I have not found it yet.
I had one issue that I thought to be a bug but figured out the problem.
When I was driving occasionally the music would randomly start playing at random times. I figure out that in the Motorola Assist app’s driving settings (if you are using Bluetooth hands free) there is no need to use the “Resume Music Play” option. I unchecked this and the gremlin went away.
So far I have not use the camera a whole lot but I intend to test this soon. I hear it was pretty bad but a system update has greatly improved it.

R

Welcome to the forums, and Android!
Glad you are liking the phone so far. I am very tempted to pick on up myself. Hopefully, this device suits you for battery life.

dj ozone

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
What carrier are you with? Because ATT and Verizon haven't received the camera update yet...

R

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Initial things I missed about my iPhone 5 ?
Notifications

R

OK I've gotta ask. WTF did you miss about iOS notifications? I'm a long time android user and bought a 5s to play around with, and notifications are one of the areas that iOS lags the furthest behind android, in my opinion. IOS notifications plain suck. What part of iOS notifications do you prefer over android?

Sent from my Nexus 7

ret63

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
By notifications I mean wake screen notifications and not the crappy blinking LED.
I get as a long time Android user you may have some strong feeling about IOS but in my Job I test both.
IMO I have not found any that work as well as the Active Notifications on the Moto X.
I did try and use three different apps for this feature on my HTC one but most of them failed to work properly crashed in the first 24 hours.

OK I've gotta ask. WTF did you miss about iOS notifications? I'm a long time android user and bought a 5s to play around with, and notifications are one of the areas that iOS lags the furthest behind android, in my opinion. IOS notifications plain suck. What part of iOS notifications do you prefer over android?

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited: