Anyone switch from a LG G2

TANGOxOMEGA

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I was torn between the two devices and went with the G2 because of the camera. But still part of me wants the moto x. Did anyone here switch from the G2 and what made you?

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'll be picking up a Moto X alongside my G2. I love the G2, but I always like having a nexus-esque device as a second phone. Just recently sold my old Nexus 4, so looking for something to fill that void. I know the Nexus 5 will be out very soon, but I like the feature set that the Moto X brings, and I love the fact that it's such a small and compact device.
Can't wait to order my white one!

Posted via Android Central App

asharrop

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I was torn between these same 2 phones and went with the moto x. Ironically, because of the camera update, lol. Pictures still better on the g2 of course, but in the end they're still all gonna be photos from a smartphone camera, and I do like the faster shutter speeds on the moto x.

Another 2 kickers for me was the lg g2 having the Carrier IQ on at&t (maybe not a big deal, but I'd rather not deal with it so leave me and my tinfoil hat alone) and the g2 messing up with the font. I guess it messes with the format in some apps as an end result. It's the little things that bug me... :-/

I'm still keeping a close eye on the forums though, as you are, in case there's a revelation of some sort that changes my mind (again!). The g2 definitely is a tempting phone, and I can't imagine you ever kicking yourself for getting it. If you did switch it out though I can't imagine you'd hate yourself for rocking a moto x either. If you do though, report back because I'm curious of the same impressions from those who've used both...

asharrop

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Dim settings I notice a bit of reddish tinge against white pixels, but otherwise no other complaints. Love the black levels of amoled...

Ductman1

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I was torn between the two devices and went with the G2 because of the camera. But still part of me wants the moto x. Did anyone here switch from the G2 and what made you?

I myself came down to the above devices but chose the Moto X, I am still in my two week trial period having even went back to look at the LG G2 once again, I keep reminding myself
of the fact that I wanted a smaller pocketable phone without negatives of a smaller screen, the screen on the G2 is gorgeous however their seems to be a lot going on with regards to dropdowns and menu's, the Moto X battery life IMO is not as great as advertised but that is to be taken with a grain of salt, my life is getting better, I was at 48% after 12 hours with 2.5 hours screen time and some bluetooth ( about an hour or so ) . Also I had to remind myself not to focus on the specs since the devices were priced the same ( LG G2 better buy due to specs )

TheBowser17

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I went with the Moto X but still have a week left in my return period. I love the active display for notifications and the overall size of the device but have had issues with signal. I have AT&T and already changed the sim card so the device may just end up being defective but I barely can make a call out or receive text messages in places where my old phone (sadly an iPhone 5), my work phone Nokia 1020 and my wife's Samsung GS4 all have good signal, it's easy enough for me to get it swapped out but I've read that other people have had the same issues but now am considering just making the switch to the LG G2. Hate to say it but I will miss the Touchless Controls the most, I use it on a daily basis and it works better than any other third party solution. I'm most likely just going to replace it for another Moto X and then if I see the same issues make the switch to the G2. I've been stalking both forums hoping for that aha moment that pushes me definitively into knowing which device to go with, but at least having all these great android phones to choose from is a great problem to have...

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I originally got Moto X but had the call quality (mic side) issue and returned it. I later got the G2 when it came out but had call quality (ear side) issues. I went back to Moto X but had same problem and returned it. My plan is to get Moto X after the update if people say it fixes audio.

After spending over a week with the G2 I felt that the size was manageable but a bit big. I worried about it falling out of my hand or pocket at times. It was easier to hold and use than the S4 for sure. I still loved the display and the features, I actually liked their UI. I liked the simple things like adjustable vibrate, and having a pop-up dialer.

A couple of nits about the UI:
- Brightness toggle - I was out in sun and wanted it brighter so I pressed it and maybe I pressed it twice but it went to its darkest setting. Well, out in the sun I could not see a thing, I thought the phone powered off. I kept hitting the power button and the screen would not light up. I started panicking that it just died on me. Until I realized what I did, but then it was so dark I couldn't unlock the phone (had PIN lock, see next point). I then managed to but then had a hard time finding the brightness toggle to brighten it up again. I don't think it's a good idea to have one of the quick toggles go to 0 brightness or whatever low level it was.
- PIN unlock was too translucent over my background that in sunlight I had a hard time discerning where the number keys were. Maybe I had to find a different background that might have worked better, I'm not sure how helpful it would have been. I'd prefer a setting to make the keyboard opaque or only slightly translucent.

TANGOxOMEGA

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I went to att today and looked at the moto x again....I just couldn't do the switch because I now love the screen size of the LG...I do like some of the features of the x but I wish it could be bigger

anon(22913)

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I didn't switch from the G2 but I struggled between waiting a bit for the G2 from Sprint or go with the Moto X.

The Moto X won out for me mainly because of the software.It's almost stock Android and the few things that are added are genuinely useful. Also, because of the almost stock Android, you get faster updates.

Also I've done some Android development and it's important to note that with a pure stock Android on your phone or tablet you will get better app compatibility. It's all those extra things that the manufacturers/carriers add that screw everything up and can keep even basic Android apps from working correctly.

LG skins the heck out of their phones, it's ridiculous. So much junk you don't need and every icon or menu is customized in some way.

And coming from a Samsung S2 it's really quick. "Mid-range" haha, not really. At this point what's the difference for a phone? Not much. I'm very happy with my Moto X from Sprint.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad