11-30-2013 11:35 PM
44 12
tools
    Though it would be illegal, I wish Samsung, HTC & Motorola would get together and agree not to place their phones on Verizon unless VZW agrees not to add bloatware and to allow the manufacturers to push out updates without having to go through VZW's excruciating long review process. There is precedent for this...Apple!
    10-01-2013 08:25 AM
    Though it would be illegal, I wish Samsung, HTC & Motorola would get together and agree not to place their phones on Verizon unless VZW agrees not to add bloatware and to allow the manufacturers to push out updates without having to go through VZW's excruciating long review process. There is precedent for this...Apple!
    Apple has the power. It is in Verizon's best interest to carry the iPhone and iPad. The only one that could come close is Motorola. But I fear the only reason Motorola does so well on VZW is because they get on their knees and do the dirty work to get VZW approval. Android is open and Verizon can do what they want. iOS is not open, and so in order to sell one of the world's most selling phones VZW has to play by Apple's rules.
    10-01-2013 11:49 AM
    You haven't noticed their stores now resemble a cosmetics counter or beauty supply store more then a place that sells electronic items? They are eye catching though. I'll give them that!
    Hehe, yeah I noticed it but I never payed any attention to it. I agree it's eye-catching though, I never look into the AT&T or Verizon stores...
    10-01-2013 12:14 PM
    Is there wi-fi where your parents live? Some phones can do wi-fi calling on T-Mo, maybe that will at least make up a little for having none there
    10-01-2013 12:18 PM
    I have no issues with Verizon. I really like them. I wouldn't go to any other carrier esp A T @T, Sprint.
    10-01-2013 12:34 PM
    Verizon's network isn't even close to being worth what they think it is. I know this is blasphemy to say on this website but 4G coverage isn't worth the amount they charge for it, or the nonsense policies that they employ. The majority of people who think that it is, are gluttons for punishment. I can see why BUSINESSES pay for it, to keep their company flowing and functioning flawlessly. But private consumers should have a little more pride in themselves than to let a company like Verizon continually kick them in the privates while taking their money. If I was grandfathered into an AWESOME plan, then I can see it. But all their new plans are complete crap.

Even when you call them to cancel, they have such a way of spinning it to make it sound like they care about their consumers. But you hang up that phone and everything that happens with them proves otherwise. Yes, I am bitter towards them because I feel like they are complete ghetto trash crooks.
    xyzlene and bigdaddytee like this.
    10-01-2013 04:32 PM
    Verizon's network isn't even close to being worth what they think it is. I know this is blasphemy to say on this website but 4G coverage isn't worth the amount they charge for it, or the nonsense policies that they employ. The majority of people who think that it is, are gluttons for punishment. I can see why BUSINESSES pay for it, to keep their company flowing and functioning flawlessly. But private consumers should have a little more pride in themselves than to let a company like Verizon continually kick them in the privates while taking their money. If I was grandfathered into an AWESOME plan, then I can see it. But all their new plans are complete crap.

Even when you call them to cancel, they have such a way of spinning it to make it sound like they care about their consumers. But you hang up that phone and everything that happens with them proves otherwise. Yes, I am bitter towards them because I feel like they are complete ghetto trash crooks.
    It depends on where you are, how you travel and what you use it for. Granted, I have a steep discount, but I find $110/month for more minutes than I can use, unlimited texting and 10GB's of data to be completely reasonable for the way I use my device. Here in Alabama, Verizon absolutely rules everyone else. If you get into a major metropolitan area like Atlanta, well, 4G sucks. It sucks on AT&T too. In general, Verizon's 4G is MUCH more expansive than AT&T's. I often travel to east middle of no where rural USA and tether on VZW 4G at 30 or 40Mbps, something that AT&T doesn't touch yet...at least not here in Alabama, or Mississippi. Your carrier experience is completely dependent upon location. As much as I dislike Verizon's policies, I equally dislike AT&T's and in my case, Verizon is the lesser of two evils - despite locking devices down and having extremely slow update schedules.

Your mileage will vary, of course.
    10-01-2013 09:10 PM

I just took my sister off of verizon last month, I was shocked when she told me what her phone bill was, etc. Crooks indeed.
    10-01-2013 09:15 PM
    :banghead: Even if it's the Nexus 5?

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
    Google wallet tap to pay works just fine on ATT with a Nexus or Gpe S4 (HTC One GPe has no secure element). I used it all the time with my Nexus 4 and currently with my S4 GPe. Not sure about the GSM developers edition Moto X. Anyone know about that one?

I have devices on ATT and Verizon. In my home state ATT pretty much rules as far as networks speed and signal go. It all depends on where you live.
    KWKSLVR likes this.
    10-01-2013 09:19 PM
    I just took my sister off of verizon last month, I was shocked when she told me what her phone bill was, etc. Crooks indeed.
    Of major postpaid carriers (the big 4) Verizon is 2nd cheapest for my plan. T-Mobile is MUCH cheaper at about $100 less per month, AT&T is slightly more expensive and Sprint would cost be about $45 more per month.
    10-01-2013 09:26 PM
    Verizon is expensive, yes. But their coverage is great when traveling and when I'm at festivals. No one else's service is as consistent. Of course, it's easy for me to not completely hate Verizon considering they're giving me a 40% discount on service for my history with them. I mean, I'm paying the same I would be paying for an equivalent plan with T-Mobile and with T-Mobile I'd have a device payment on top of the plan payment.

I would never encourage someone to sign up with them as a new customer, though. And were it not for the discount they're giving me, I most likely would not have resigned with them last month.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-01-2013 09:55 PM
    Verizon is expensive, yes. But their coverage is great when traveling and when I'm at festivals. No one else's service is as consistent. Of course, it's easy for me to not completely hate Verizon considering they're giving me a 40% discount on service for my history with them. I mean, I'm paying the same I would be paying for an equivalent plan with T-Mobile and with T-Mobile I'd have a device payment on top of the plan payment.

I would never encourage someone to sign up with them as a new customer, though. And were it not for the discount they're giving me, I most likely would not have resigned with them last month.

Yeah, they were just doing wackadoo s--t with her. Her bills were crazy and she said she kept asking them to help her change her plan from limted talk/text and unlimited data to the other way around. I thought, oh, what is her problem, let me do it. lol. I got on the phone it took me several minutes before the agent would even accept that that was what should happen, she kept insisting unlimited data was better (even though my sissy uses less than a gig a month) i kept having to say "Please, listen, all i want is the same or less that she's paying, but unlimted talk / text, i don't care what you do with the data".. what the...and etc, they were charging my sissy $100's of dollars is overtexts, and seeing that she had been charged that, any rep should have looked at it and said, let's fix that., , poor thing. Sprint has some sucky-*** coverage, but they would never have done that to me.

Unftly Verizon really *is* the best service in her area, but she disliked them at that point so much she'd rather have to stand by a window with her Tmo coverage. lol.
    10-01-2013 11:14 PM
    I know for a fact that that the (app) bloatware is not strictly a carrier issue.

10-02-2013 02:01 AM
    Pinkish charm and girly?
    Yes. Everytime i used to visit a TMobile store here in NY it was always Pink.. sorry.. Magenta.. Which is too girlish for me. Yes its stupid, but i never could take the company seriously because of their color choices.

My Career path is Graphic Design, I love Advertising, and the way they present themselves is just not serious enough for me
    10-02-2013 02:08 AM
    Hehehe, yeah I noticed it looked like a cosmetics store but never payed attention to it. It's good for getting attention though...
    10-02-2013 02:50 AM
    Is there wi-fi where your parents live? Some phones can do wi-fi calling on T-Mo, maybe that will at least make up a little for having none fithere
    That would solve the problem, my phone is used as a hotspot while I am there because they do not have Wifi
    10-02-2013 06:09 AM
    I miss T-Mobile. Magenta or not, for all the years I had T-Mobile (think Powertel > Voicestream > T-Mobile) they were great. The customer service was freaking amazing as well. I left for AT&T over coverage issues after they did not renew their roaming contract with one another. AT&T was so incredibly inept that I left and went back to T-Mobile for a time before finally caving in for Verizon specifically for the GNex. I will say it'd be nice to be back on T-Mo, it's a shame that as soon as you leave any major metro area area around here, you're stuck on Edge. They're awesome in Florida. They're awesome around LA. Travel anywhere remotely rural and you're screwed.

Sprint suffers from the same coverage issues. If AT&T hadn't left such a bad taste in my mouth, I'd give them another shot. It sucks too, because we all know what it's like to tinker with a CDMA phone.
    10-03-2013 02:24 PM
    :banghead: Even if it's the Nexus 5?

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
    I use the Nexus 4 on at&t and I am able use Google Wallet, Tap and Pay and all without any issue.

at&t branded devices are one thing, but unbranded devices are another and as much as it probably irks at&t unbranded devices are free of their controls.

As to VZW their coverage is excellent but at&t is not too far behind either. I work in Alabama from time to time and at least at the office both VZW and at&t work well.

Lastly as to history my colleague has been with T-Mobile when it was known as Omnipoint Communications and still has am Umbrella they sent him as a gesture of good will because the service was so bad.

My history with at&t is even longer and dates back to McCaw Cellular however the one thing I have learned about the wireless industry is that history means nothing, it is all about what have you (the customer) done (i.e. paid) for me (the wireless provider) today.

Dan
    10-03-2013 02:33 PM
    when i have the chance i like to check my dbm in various areas of nyc.. i would say my average in the 5 boroughs is -98 dbm... at 129.00 including taxes per month i would rather be off contract with the same dbm.. I will take my chances with reception in the open lands..

all i know is that i will be saving at least 600.00 a year.
    11-30-2013 11:35 PM
44 12