Moto X - the final straw that has broken the Camel's back

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Coming from someone who had the Nexus 4.. You can still use Google Wallet.. Buy it from the Play Store (only place to buy it from for ATT) and it works perfectly fine. As for everything else, On my HTC One X I had the same cra**.. But on the moto, I really have little bloatware.. Only thing how ever is the updates, Im a bit weary of this as well.. but! They're a bit better tbh.

Honestly I hate tMobile's pinkish charm, and how everything they do is girly.. But their phone selection is pretty freaken aWesome
Pinkish charm and girly?

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I agree. The network is the only reason I stay. I travel a lot for work, and unfortunately, I hate to say it... It really can't be beat. Just so you know though, you won't be able to use Google wallet on AT&T either. They are just as bad in my opinion as verizon

Posted via Android Central App

Google Wallet Support emailed me back:

Hi Charles,

I understand that you would like to use Google Wallet on your Motorola Moto X on Verizon. Unfortunately, Verizon has chosen not to support Google Wallet at this time. Google is in active conversations with all carriers and hopes to make Google Wallet available on more devices, and across more carriers soon.

In some cases, Tap and Pay is working for Verizon devices but in general, Verizon is still blocking that feature of the Google Wallet mobile app.

Some suggestions that I can provide you that might make the Tap and pay feature work:
Be sure that the Mobile App is not side-loaded. Be sure to download the latest version of the app from Google Play.
The device must not be rooted.
Try uninstalling the Wallet App and reinstall it again. Once installed, shut down your device and turn it back on after 10 seconds.
These steps can be done. But, there is no guarantee that the Tap and Pay will work afterwards.

We would love for you to have this feature on you device, but again it is on the part of your carrier which is stopping us in doing so.
If you have any more questions, please reply to this email. I'm happy to help!

Thanks!

Raymond
The Google Wallet Team

Christmas this yeah I will be buying 2 new phones from the Play store....so long Verizon

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
.......Come this December when I am out of my contract and paying month to month, I will be saying adios to big red and likely going to AT&T. I will be losing Unlimited data but oh well.

have you tried T-Mo in your area LATELY? They have stepped up their game and the T-Mo of today in MANY areas is NOT the T-Mo of yesteryear! Plus they have an
unlimited plan (its true 4g LTE no slowdowns/no caps for a 70.00 a month plan (50 for 1st line- 20 for the unlimited plan ....) 2nd line $30.00 and every line after that $10.00 which includes unlimited talk/text/web with 500MB high speed data... I have 4 lines, 1 of them unl and my bill is never higher than $140 a mo and I always use at least 15-20 GB a mo of data...

T-Mo90DayUsage_zpsfef361ce.png

BTC

Last edited:

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I test drove a Nexus 4 about a month ago on T-Mobile. Screaming speeds in Richmond VA, but I was getting absolutely no signal in Deltaville VA where my parents live. My brother in law has ATT and he does get a signal down there...faint but he can at least make phone calls and do some browsing.

opuntia2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Though it would be illegal, I wish Samsung, HTC & Motorola would get together and agree not to place their phones on Verizon unless VZW agrees not to add bloatware and to allow the manufacturers to push out updates without having to go through VZW's excruciating long review process. There is precedent for this...Apple!

grenefroggie

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Though it would be illegal, I wish Samsung, HTC & Motorola would get together and agree not to place their phones on Verizon unless VZW agrees not to add bloatware and to allow the manufacturers to push out updates without having to go through VZW's excruciating long review process. There is precedent for this...Apple!

Apple has the power. It is in Verizon's best interest to carry the iPhone and iPad. The only one that could come close is Motorola. But I fear the only reason Motorola does so well on VZW is because they get on their knees and do the dirty work to get VZW approval. Android is open and Verizon can do what they want. iOS is not open, and so in order to sell one of the world's most selling phones VZW has to play by Apple's rules.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
You haven't noticed their stores now resemble a cosmetics counter or beauty supply store more then a place that sells electronic items? They are eye catching though. I'll give them that!
Hehe, yeah I noticed it but I never payed any attention to it. I agree it's eye-catching though, I never look into the AT&T or Verizon stores...

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Is there wi-fi where your parents live? Some phones can do wi-fi calling on T-Mo, maybe that will at least make up a little for having none there

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Verizon's network isn't even close to being worth what they think it is. I know this is blasphemy to say on this website but 4G coverage isn't worth the amount they charge for it, or the nonsense policies that they employ. The majority of people who think that it is, are gluttons for punishment. I can see why BUSINESSES pay for it, to keep their company flowing and functioning flawlessly. But private consumers should have a little more pride in themselves than to let a company like Verizon continually kick them in the privates while taking their money. If I was grandfathered into an AWESOME plan, then I can see it. But all their new plans are complete crap.

Even when you call them to cancel, they have such a way of spinning it to make it sound like they care about their consumers. But you hang up that phone and everything that happens with them proves otherwise. Yes, I am bitter towards them because I feel like they are complete ghetto trash crooks.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Verizon's network isn't even close to being worth what they think it is. I know this is blasphemy to say on this website but 4G coverage isn't worth the amount they charge for it, or the nonsense policies that they employ. The majority of people who think that it is, are gluttons for punishment. I can see why BUSINESSES pay for it, to keep their company flowing and functioning flawlessly. But private consumers should have a little more pride in themselves than to let a company like Verizon continually kick them in the privates while taking their money. If I was grandfathered into an AWESOME plan, then I can see it. But all their new plans are complete crap.

Even when you call them to cancel, they have such a way of spinning it to make it sound like they care about their consumers. But you hang up that phone and everything that happens with them proves otherwise. Yes, I am bitter towards them because I feel like they are complete ghetto trash crooks.
It depends on where you are, how you travel and what you use it for. Granted, I have a steep discount, but I find $110/month for more minutes than I can use, unlimited texting and 10GB's of data to be completely reasonable for the way I use my device. Here in Alabama, Verizon absolutely rules everyone else. If you get into a major metropolitan area like Atlanta, well, 4G sucks. It sucks on AT&T too. In general, Verizon's 4G is MUCH more expansive than AT&T's. I often travel to east middle of no where rural USA and tether on VZW 4G at 30 or 40Mbps, something that AT&T doesn't touch yet...at least not here in Alabama, or Mississippi. Your carrier experience is completely dependent upon location. As much as I dislike Verizon's policies, I equally dislike AT&T's and in my case, Verizon is the lesser of two evils - despite locking devices down and having extremely slow update schedules.

Your mileage will vary, of course. :)

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

I just took my sister off of verizon last month, I was shocked when she told me what her phone bill was, etc. Crooks indeed.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
:banghead: Even if it's the Nexus 5?

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Google wallet tap to pay works just fine on ATT with a Nexus or Gpe S4 (HTC One GPe has no secure element). I used it all the time with my Nexus 4 and currently with my S4 GPe. Not sure about the GSM developers edition Moto X. Anyone know about that one?

I have devices on ATT and Verizon. In my home state ATT pretty much rules as far as networks speed and signal go. It all depends on where you live.

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I just took my sister off of verizon last month, I was shocked when she told me what her phone bill was, etc. Crooks indeed.

Of major postpaid carriers (the big 4) Verizon is 2nd cheapest for my plan. T-Mobile is MUCH cheaper at about $100 less per month, AT&T is slightly more expensive and Sprint would cost be about $45 more per month.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Verizon is expensive, yes. But their coverage is great when traveling and when I'm at festivals. No one else's service is as consistent. Of course, it's easy for me to not completely hate Verizon considering they're giving me a 40% discount on service for my history with them. I mean, I'm paying the same I would be paying for an equivalent plan with T-Mobile and with T-Mobile I'd have a device payment on top of the plan payment.

I would never encourage someone to sign up with them as a new customer, though. And were it not for the discount they're giving me, I most likely would not have resigned with them last month.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Verizon is expensive, yes. But their coverage is great when traveling and when I'm at festivals. No one else's service is as consistent. Of course, it's easy for me to not completely hate Verizon considering they're giving me a 40% discount on service for my history with them. I mean, I'm paying the same I would be paying for an equivalent plan with T-Mobile and with T-Mobile I'd have a device payment on top of the plan payment.

I would never encourage someone to sign up with them as a new customer, though. And were it not for the discount they're giving me, I most likely would not have resigned with them last month.

Yeah, they were just doing wackadoo s--t with her. Her bills were crazy and she said she kept asking them to help her change her plan from limted talk/text and unlimited data to the other way around. I thought, oh, what is her problem, let me do it. lol. I got on the phone it took me several minutes before the agent would even accept that that was what should happen, she kept insisting unlimited data was better (even though my sissy uses less than a gig a month) i kept having to say "Please, listen, all i want is the same or less that she's paying, but unlimted talk / text, i don't care what you do with the data".. what the...and etc, they were charging my sissy $100's of dollars is overtexts, and seeing that she had been charged that, any rep should have looked at it and said, let's fix that., :(, poor thing. Sprint has some sucky-*** coverage, but they would never have done that to me.

Unftly Verizon really *is* the best service in her area, but she disliked them at that point so much she'd rather have to stand by a window with her Tmo coverage. lol.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I know for a fact that that the (app) bloatware is not strictly a carrier issue.

Gamer_Radar

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Pinkish charm and girly?

Yes. Everytime i used to visit a TMobile store here in NY it was always Pink.. sorry.. Magenta.. Which is too girlish for me. Yes its stupid, but i never could take the company seriously because of their color choices.

My Career path is Graphic Design, I love Advertising, and the way they present themselves is just not serious enough for me

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hehehe, yeah I noticed it looked like a cosmetics store but never payed attention to it. It's good for getting attention though...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7