11-30-2013 10:35 PM
44 12
tools
    I purchased two Galaxy Nexus' 21 months ago and signed up with Unlimited data for two years. I now have the Moto X and love the phone, but am over Verizon dictating the software updates and crippling of the device.

Google Wallet - I want to use it as it was intended not have VZW disable Tap and Pay and be told I have to use Isis.

OS Updates - No one is complaining yet because we just got the phone but it will not be long before 4.4 is released and VZW Moto X owners will start voicing their concern about 4.3 not being out yet for their Moto X and still being stuck on 4.2.2.

So tired of Bloatware - It is minimal but still an annoyance after each call I get a message from "callerID" asking if I want to save the caller and reminding me that this is a 10 day free trial.

Google Voice - It's all I use now and for some reason does not work or play well with Verizon. I am not sure what I am missing in the background but when I set it up it says the carrier will not work with Google Voice app.

Come this December when I am out of my contract and paying month to month, I will be saying adios to big red and likely going to AT&T. I will be losing Unlimited data but oh well.
    grenefroggie, rayden8 and xyzlene like this.
    09-30-2013 05:35 AM
    Sounds like your beef is more with Verizon than the Moto X. You should disable your bloatware, which can be done without root

Sent from my XT1060
    Ry likes this.
    09-30-2013 05:38 AM
    You're not alone in your frustration of Verizon's castration of phones features. Their designation of bloat causes no elation and endless consternation which is an aberration. For this, Verizon will never have our admiration.
    Alik Malix and jrowe like this.
    09-30-2013 05:44 AM
    You are correct. I love the Moto X.........I will hopefully ba able to find someone to trade a GSM Moto X for a Verizon version or end up buyin two new Nexus 5's. Verizon just kills the experience.

Sounds like your beef is more with Verizon than the Moto X. You should disable your bloatware, which can be done without root

Sent from my XT1060
    bigdaddytee likes this.
    09-30-2013 05:44 AM
    You are correct. I love the Moto X.........I will hopefully ba able to find someone to trade a GSM Moto X for a Verizon version or end up buyin two new Nexus 5's. Verizon just kills the experience.
    Verizon has a strong network but they want your soul for it.
    09-30-2013 05:55 AM
    I agree. The network is the only reason I stay. I travel a lot for work, and unfortunately, I hate to say it... It really can't be beat. Just so you know though, you won't be able to use Google wallet on AT&T either. They are just as bad in my opinion as verizon

Posted via Android Central App
    09-30-2013 06:40 AM
    I agree. The network is the only reason I stay. I travel a lot for work, and unfortunately, I hate to say it... It really can't be beat. Just so you know though, you won't be able to use Google wallet on AT&T either. They are just as bad in my opinion as verizon

:banghead: Even if it's the Nexus 5?

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
    09-30-2013 07:45 AM
    They are just as bad in my opinion as verizon

The best thing about ATT and T-Mo is you can bring any GSM phone you want. If Verizon keeps CDMA on their network, even if they roll out HSPA in some areas, because of the CDMA radio they can dictate everything that happens with the phone and whether or not they will allow it on their network. With the GSM carriers, as long as the bands are supported, you can bring the phone.

For that simple reason I will not use Verizon. AT&T, in my area, has a network that is just as robust as Verizon's so I am not worried.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4
    09-30-2013 07:49 AM
    :banghead: Even if it's the Nexus 5?

If you buy it from the Play Store it should (might?) work. Phones sold through AT&T do not work. This might be a good question to ask in the N4 section to see if it works for people on AT&T currently, but I am fairly certain that it is only disabled BY AT&T when they have access to the code prior to sale. On a Nexus, GPe device or any other device you buy somewhere else and bring to their network they don't have that access.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    09-30-2013 07:50 AM
    Come this December when I am out of my contract and paying month to month, I will be saying adios to big red and likely going to AT&T. I will be losing Unlimited data but oh well.
    AT&T is on the same level of Evil as Verizon.

It's telling that both these companies went out of their way to share customer data with the Government without any concern for the Constitution nor their customer's privacy. They care little for their customers as you are experiencing with Verizon.
    Verizon & AT&T LTE are a waste of money
    Someone needs to smash Verizon and AT&T

It is unfortunate they are so powerful and able to dominate the cellular industry to the extent they do.
    xyzlene likes this.
    09-30-2013 08:16 AM
    After eleven years with Verizon even my unlimited data wasn't enough to get me to stay.

xyzlene likes this.
    09-30-2013 08:29 AM
    I don't have any problems using Google Voice with my Verizon X. Never have.

And you're not going to have any luck using Google Wallet for tap and pay with any carrier other than Sprint. All the other carriers are pushing Isis.

Ry likes this.
    09-30-2013 09:30 AM
    AT&T is on the same level of Evil as Verizon.

It's telling that both these companies went out of their way to share customer data with the Government without any concern for the Constitution nor their customer's privacy. They care little for their customers as you are experiencing with Verizon.
    Verizon & AT&T LTE are a waste of money
    Someone needs to smash Verizon and AT&T

It is unfortunate they are so powerful and able to dominate the cellular industry to the extent they do.
    Not that I think this is the place for this kind of discussion, but if you didn't see that coming I am sorry you are so disgusted with it. If you give your information to someone, you should never trust that it is 100% safe. All of the major companies involved in the US have not come forward. Google, Verizon, AT&T, and even Apple; the people we depend on to keep our information safe have betrayed our trust. It is to be expected when private business constantly shakes hands with the government.

While a consumer should be able to trust a company it gets its products from, it is up to the consumer to perform their due diligence.

In the sense of carriers, there is almost always a local or regional carrier that can offer you phone service. They tend to be cheaper, but without the big bank accounts the national carriers have,you might not have the options for a decent device. There are options if you are willing to give up some of the perks that the Big 4, but they are just options, and not always available to EVERYONE.

And you're not going to have any luck using Google Wallet for tap and pay with any carrier other than Sprint. All the other carriers are pushing Isis.

Pretty much!! ISIS was developed by AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile essentially to make sure that Google Wallet failed. Maybe things like Google Wallet and ISIS are meant to fail, Capitol One pulled it's support. IMO, Google would have gotten it done. Instead, they still fail to have ubiquitous support of Visa and Mastercard. AMex and Chase are still on board, but who knows for how long.
    09-30-2013 10:25 AM

It'll work fine as long as it's a Nexus or Google Play Edition device. The problem is those are completely not an option on Verizon.
    09-30-2013 10:26 AM
    So tired of Bloatware - It is minimal but still an annoyance after each call I get a message from "callerID" asking if I want to save the caller and reminding me that this is a 10 day free trial.
    You do realize that you can disable that app, right?

And, again, the Google Voice app works with Verizon. It always has. You just have to set it up manually.

These are really very simple and well known solutions. I'm honestly surprised someone with a developer edition Moto X didn't know them.

Ry and davey11 like this.
    09-30-2013 12:15 PM
    Google Wallet - I want to use it as it was intended not have VZW disable Tap and Pay and be told I have to use Isis.
    You will always have this issue unless you're using a Nexus or GPE device.

OS Updates - No one is complaining yet because we just got the phone but it will not be long before 4.4 is released and VZW Moto X owners will start voicing their concern about 4.3 not being out yet for their Moto X and still being stuck on 4.2.2.
    Google Play Services makes this somewhat irrelevant. It would help to know what features from 4.3 you absolutely need on your Moto X.

You will always have this issue unless you're using a Nexus or GPE device.

Google Voice - It's all I use now and for some reason does not work or play well with Verizon. I am not sure what I am missing in the background but when I set it up it says the carrier will not work with Google Voice app.
    I have had no issues with Google Voice on my Moto X (and my DROID BIONIC).
    09-30-2013 12:31 PM
    Fair points against Verizon, this one aside. While I will grant you that Verizon adds an extra step to the process, GV *does* in fact work just as well on VZW as it does on any other carrier. You just have to follow directions.

Your other points are really only going to be solved by going to a GSM carrier and buying a phone off Google Play at full price. Guaranteed Google Wallet support, first to receive OS updates, no bloatware. I did this with a Galaxy Nexus and t-mobile pre-paid for a while - it is pretty nice (although t-mobile went out of their way to disable call forwarding on prepaid plans when I last checked, which did in fact disable GV from intercepting calls - unless people call your GV number).
    09-30-2013 05:57 PM
    I would join TMobile in a heart beat if I could get a signal in Deltaville Va.

09-30-2013 06:43 PM
    If you buy it from the Play Store it should (might?) work. Phones sold through AT&T do not work. This might be a good question to ask in the N4 section to see if it works for people on AT&T currently, but I am fairly certain that it is only disabled BY AT&T when they have access to the code prior to sale. On a Nexus, GPe device or any other device you buy somewhere else and bring to their network they don't have that access.
    Coming from someone who had the Nexus 4.. You can still use Google Wallet.. Buy it from the Play Store (only place to buy it from for ATT) and it works perfectly fine. As for everything else, On my HTC One X I had the same cra**.. But on the moto, I really have little bloatware.. Only thing how ever is the updates, Im a bit weary of this as well.. but! They're a bit better tbh.

Honestly I hate tMobile's pinkish charm, and how everything they do is girly.. But their phone selection is pretty freaken aWesome
    09-30-2013 06:53 PM
    You're not alone in your frustration of Verizon's castration of phones features. Their designation of bloat causes no elation and endless consternation which is an aberration. For this, Verizon will never have our admiration.
    This made lol, good job!
    09-30-2013 08:29 PM
    Coming from someone who had the Nexus 4.. You can still use Google Wallet.. Buy it from the Play Store (only place to buy it from for ATT) and it works perfectly fine. As for everything else, On my HTC One X I had the same cra**.. But on the moto, I really have little bloatware.. Only thing how ever is the updates, Im a bit weary of this as well.. but! They're a bit better tbh.

Honestly I hate tMobile's pinkish charm, and how everything they do is girly.. But their phone selection is pretty freaken aWesome
    Pinkish charm and girly?
    09-30-2013 08:34 PM
    Pinkish charm and girly?
    You haven't noticed their stores now resemble a cosmetics counter or beauty supply store more then a place that sells electronic items? They are eye catching though. I'll give them that!
    bigdaddytee likes this.
    10-01-2013 12:17 AM

Google Wallet Support emailed me back:

Hi Charles,

I understand that you would like to use Google Wallet on your Motorola Moto X on Verizon. Unfortunately, Verizon has chosen not to support Google Wallet at this time. Google is in active conversations with all carriers and hopes to make Google Wallet available on more devices, and across more carriers soon.

In some cases, Tap and Pay is working for Verizon devices but in general, Verizon is still blocking that feature of the Google Wallet mobile app.

Some suggestions that I can provide you that might make the Tap and pay feature work:
    Be sure that the Mobile App is not side-loaded. Be sure to download the latest version of the app from Google Play.
    The device must not be rooted.
    Try uninstalling the Wallet App and reinstall it again. Once installed, shut down your device and turn it back on after 10 seconds.
    These steps can be done. But, there is no guarantee that the Tap and Pay will work afterwards.

We would love for you to have this feature on you device, but again it is on the part of your carrier which is stopping us in doing so.
    If you have any more questions, please reply to this email. I'm happy to help!

Thanks!

Raymond
    The Google Wallet Team

Christmas this yeah I will be buying 2 new phones from the Play store....so long Verizon
    10-01-2013 05:03 AM
    .......Come this December when I am out of my contract and paying month to month, I will be saying adios to big red and likely going to AT&T. I will be losing Unlimited data but oh well.
    have you tried T-Mo in your area LATELY? They have stepped up their game and the T-Mo of today in MANY areas is NOT the T-Mo of yesteryear! Plus they have an
    unlimited plan (its true 4g LTE no slowdowns/no caps for a 70.00 a month plan (50 for 1st line- 20 for the unlimited plan ....) 2nd line $30.00 and every line after that $10.00 which includes unlimited talk/text/web with 500MB high speed data... I have 4 lines, 1 of them unl and my bill is never higher than $140 a mo and I always use at least 15-20 GB a mo of data...

Moto X - the final straw that has broken the Camel's back-t-mo90dayusage_zpsfef361ce.png

BTC
    10-01-2013 05:26 AM
    I test drove a Nexus 4 about a month ago on T-Mobile. Screaming speeds in Richmond VA, but I was getting absolutely no signal in Deltaville VA where my parents live. My brother in law has ATT and he does get a signal down there...faint but he can at least make phone calls and do some browsing.
    10-01-2013 05:45 AM
44 12