10-03-2013 12:22 PM
61 123
tools
    I think there is an app with active notification but that is not a big deal to me. I will check it once I use my phone. I do not jump when my phone has a notification. Since the Nexus is close I will wait to see what it is. Still liking my S4 GPE and not eager to give up Google Wallet which is another plus for the Nexus unless the developer edition Moto X has Google wallet installed?

It still remains to be seen how long it will take for updates on the moto x.
    Most people that have reported back about dynamic notifications has said it's buggy and does not work the same.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-01-2013 07:13 PM
    I was in the same boat,I ended up going with the g2 cause I believe it's an overall better device,and the only thing the x had going for it was the voice actions which I wouldn't use cause I don't talk to my phone,also I couldn't live without the led notification,I know the x has active notifications but you still gotta wake it up to see I believe.I like just glancing over to phone and checking for the light.if voice actions is something you would use get the x,if not get the G2,it's a great device

10-01-2013 07:15 PM
    Most people that have reported back about dynamic notifications has said it's buggy and does not work the same.

I've used that app on my S4 and it can be quite buggy! The Moto X notification is way better!
    10-01-2013 07:18 PM
    I was in the same boat,I ended up going with the g2 cause I believe it's an overall better device,and the only thing the x had going for it was the voice actions which I wouldn't use cause I don't talk to my phone,also I couldn't live without the led notification,I know the x has active notifications but you still gotta wake it up to see I believe.I like just glancing over to phone and checking for the light.if voice actions is something you would use get the x,if not get the G2,it's a great device

No, you don't have to wake it up that's the point. It's like having a notification light that gives you more information. It uses a lot less power. Active Notifications is one of those features that now that I'm using it I don't ever want a phone again without it.
    10-01-2013 07:21 PM
    you dont have to wake it up ..its called active notifications for a reason ..otherwise it would have been called passive notifications

10-01-2013 07:26 PM
    Active Notifications is one of those features that now that I'm using it I don't ever want a phone again without it.
    Same here.

10-01-2013 07:35 PM

Thanks but it will get better not that I would even use that. I never even used the LED app that changes all these colors based on who the message is from etc. Way too much hassle in my view. Again, I am not that important and need to do or send stuff pretty regularly so I can check everything then.

Maybe the new Nexus with have the active notifications..? Google Wallet is more important to me that notifications.

Sorry for derailing the thread...I'll let you'all get back to the G2 vs. Moto X.
    10-01-2013 07:40 PM
    I though about g2 too, but then I asked myself would the supposedly better screen and camera on G2 compensate me for the touchless controls/active notifications/Assist/Motorola connect on X? Then It was a no brainer I use all the features on X on daily basis, they are really usefull and addictive, I dont watch movies or read books on my 5inch phone and X display is not bad it has great colors and is sharp, Camera was definitely questionable but when i saw the Motorola sw update rolling out which improves the camera , the argumenet g2 vs X just ended for me ..Also motorola is google's Company now ..Im sure motorola will keep updating the android OS on moto x for quite sometime, even though it will take some time compared to nexus as it it has to go through carriers, I didnt have the same faith in HTC or LG ..

Upate: I forgot to mention trusted bluetooth devices..I simply love that feature. Im forced to use security pin on my phone because of my corporate email account, having trusted bluetooth option to not have to type in pattern/pin everytime I want to use the phone is so much usefull, I simply leave it paired to my laptop. It is these little things that add up and take the user experience to new level. motorola did take take time to address customers pain points, atleast they took very good step in trying to address them ..I simply refuse to move to any device which doesnot have trusted BT device, active display and touchless controls ..
    tonymhoffman and huntnyc like this.
    10-01-2013 07:51 PM
    Interesting that most people in G2 forum are getting the same screen time as moto X users.

Just telling you my real world usage. But if you need exacting data, look no further than Anandtech,

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7251/l...a-quick-look/3

10-02-2013 02:42 AM
    I would go with Moto X for size factor
    I like the Active Notifications and Touchless controls
    Less Bloatware (out of the box) then other vzw phones.
    Smooth OS(no Lag)
    I have had Google Wallet on my other phones.I could see Wallet working on Moto X but would probably have to be rooted not sure if bootloader would have to be unlocked.
    I dont see Google Wallet working out of the box on the Vzw/Att network using developer edition of the Moto X tho.
    10-02-2013 05:23 AM
    But can you see it from across the room?

10-02-2013 07:01 AM

It started acting funny after a couple updates. I hung on to an earlier version and it works great, no battery affect either.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
    10-02-2013 07:13 AM
    I can think of quite a few reasons I chose the x and barely considered the G2. They're almost all software, but I'm also a big fan of moto's hardware strategy this year. If 9 months ago someone would have said two of the top five devices at the end if the year would be dual core, many works have said they're crazy.

XT1060. Through spacetime.
    10-02-2013 07:15 AM

The active notification I mean

10-02-2013 07:29 AM
    Reasons for Moto X:
    You like the size better
    You like the moto features
    You dont like the LG UI
    You dont like the button layout on the G2
    Your in the camp that believes that it will get fast updates

Reasons for G2:
    You like the size
    Better camera(?) and screen
    More raw performance(raw, not necessarily "experienced" performance)
    You like the LG features
    Possibly better battery life(millage may vary)
    markbc and huntnyc like this.
    10-02-2013 07:41 AM
    I recommend you spend some quality hands on time with both devices. If you are clear about your needs and wants in a device, you'll find which one is more suitable. You certainly can't base your decision on the values of others because they most likely differ largely from yours. The best reviewer is not found on Engadget, Android central, Anandtech, etc. The best reviewer is the person you see in the mirror.
    markbc likes this.
    10-02-2013 08:45 AM
    The active notification I mean

Yes

Posted via Android Central App on Moto X
    10-02-2013 09:32 AM
    I've been watching a lot of G2 videos and have been seriously considereing it. What's holding me back is the upcoming Nexus 5 and the the bloat and UI on the G2. I also really like the Moto X and would use both phones, but I always like to have a unlocked phone. The G2's UI reminds me a lot of touchwiz, which I don't mind; but always get tired of. I don't mind manufacture UI's but they take it too far. I actaully like the look of stock Android icons, and app drawer area, but they change all of that.

I really like the look of the G2. I'm a fan of 1080P high res screens and I really like the thin bezel on the G2. For myself I guess it all boils down to the UI, stock vs. skinned. I really like stock andoid and like others, like the way the Moto X is nearly stock while adding some nice features.
    10-02-2013 09:52 AM
    I came from the og droid and bionic,and I loved those two phones,the only downfall is the cameras in Motorolas are brutal,so this time around I wanted a good camera, when I heard the moto x camera was just like all their other cameras,I went to the g2 and couldn't be happier,I know they're saying there's gonna be an update to fix the camera,but every update on the bionic was supposed to fix the camera and they never did a thing

10-02-2013 10:40 AM

Yup I got good eyes

Oh I forgot Moto X got a nice loud speaker too

- - - Updated - - -

I've been watching a lot of G2 videos and have been seriously considereing it. What's holding me back is the upcoming Nexus 5 and the the bloat and UI on the G2. I also really like the Moto X and would use both phones, but I always like to have a unlocked phone. The G2's UI reminds me a lot of touchwiz, which I don't mind; but always get tired of. I don't mind manufacture UI's but they take it too far. I actaully like the look of stock Android icons, and app drawer area, but they change all of that.

I really like the look of the G2. I'm a fan of 1080P high res screens and I really like the thin bezel on the G2. For myself I guess it all boils down to the UI, stock vs. skinned. I really like stock andoid and like others, like the way the Moto X is nearly stock while adding some nice features.
    Have you decided then ?Which One?
    10-02-2013 11:02 AM
    G2 I bet

10-02-2013 11:12 AM
    I'm on Sprint and waiting for the Nexus 5 announcement as well. We have no clue what carriers will get the Nexus 5. If the device does not make it to Sprint that's OK, I'll pickup the Moto X as my upgrade device.
    davidnc likes this.
    10-02-2013 11:13 AM
    I came from the og droid and bionic,and I loved those two phones,the only downfall is the cameras in Motorolas are brutal,so this time around I wanted a good camera, when I heard the moto x camera was just like all their other cameras,I went to the g2 and couldn't be happier,I know they're saying there's gonna be an update to fix the camera,but every update on the bionic was supposed to fix the camera and they never did a thing

Well this time, the update did improve camera quite a bit on moto x

AnandTech | Moto X Update Dramatically Improves Camera Quality
    10-02-2013 11:23 AM
    If I were looking to upgrade from my Nexus 4, the Moto X would be my first choice. I like everything I've read about it, and it just seems to be the first Android phone designed around user experience rather than specs or features. This is coming from someone who cursed Motorola up and down after they screwed over the Photon 4G, and I thought I'd never touch another Moto phone again.

Besides, LG's skin is an abomination.
    10-02-2013 01:19 PM
    Same android multitasking on the G2, just long press the home button. The G2 has hands down the best camera of any Android out there. Size, battery life and active notifications are the real determinates here. The Moto X feels perfect in the hand, but it didn't last me as long as the G2 as a heavy user with multiple push exchange accounts and a never holding anything back to "save battery". Because why shut things down that I want to run and are designed to run? To compensate for poor battery life, I think not. My daughter now has the Moto X and it works perfect for her and I am using the G2,whichever for now,works perfect for me. My wife uses the GS4 and now wants a G2 because of the battery life. Good luck in whatever decision you make. Honestly, coming from the Nexus before these last two I thought I'd never go with an OEM covered OS over pure Android, but the Moto X is very close and the G2 is extremely customizable. Good luck!

A long press on the home is still not as easy as having it one regular press. Not only that, but why have a menu button when most apps have it already dynamically generated when you use the app? It doesn't make much sense.
    10-02-2013 01:21 PM
61 123