Why Moto X over LG G2

anon(22913)

May 16, 2010
Visit site
The only reason I have a preference to "stock" Android is because it's clean and intuitive; why pack in design features and functions if all they do is make the experience worse?

I'm all for the OEMs putting their own unique stamp on the Android UI, but I often feel like they make changes just for the sake of being different. Samsung and LG have patented headache-inducing labyrinths as their interfaces, while HTC just barely teases the line between utility and novelty. Motorola nailed it on this one, I think. They kept it clean and simple, but included incredibly useful, NON-INTERFERING features.

I've said it before -- I like what Motorola's done even over the pure Nexus experience. They made Android better.

This.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The Moto X is excellent.

Also, faster updates and better app compatibility on account of the nearly-stock Android.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I am getting weak for the developers edition moto X trying to hold out for the Nexus 5 hurry getting weaker...weaker...

How is that camera upgrade...?

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I am getting weak for the developers edition moto X trying to hold out for the Nexus 5 hurry getting weaker...weaker...

Not sure why you'd wait for the Nexus 5 - no Active Notifications, no other tweaks that the Moto X has either.

And as for the Nexus specs, I'd be surprised if it was a repackaged G2 with stock Android for $350 (at least it seems what everyone is hoping for). The Nexus line has never really been consumer focused - mainly a neutered device for developers to work with. To me, the Moto X is the consumer focused Nexus device! :)

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Because carrier delayed updates are the most complained about topic on these forums.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Not sure why you'd wait for the Nexus 5 - no Active Notifications, no other tweaks that the Moto X has either.

And as for the Nexus specs, I'd be surprised if it was a repackaged G2 with stock Android for $350 (at least it seems what everyone is hoping for). The Nexus line has never really been consumer focused - mainly a neutered device for developers to work with. To me, the Moto X is the consumer focused Nexus device! :)

I think there is an app with active notification but that is not a big deal to me. I will check it once I use my phone. I do not jump when my phone has a notification. Since the Nexus is close I will wait to see what it is. Still liking my S4 GPE and not eager to give up Google Wallet which is another plus for the Nexus unless the developer edition Moto X has Google wallet installed?

It still remains to be seen how long it will take for updates on the moto x.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I think there is an app with active notification but that is not a big deal to me. I will check it once I use my phone. I do not jump when my phone has a notification. Since the Nexus is close I will wait to see what it is. Still liking my S4 GPE and not eager to give up Google Wallet which is another plus for the Nexus unless the developer edition Moto X has Google wallet installed?

It still remains to be seen how long it will take for updates on the moto x.

Most people that have reported back about dynamic notifications has said it's buggy and does not work the same.

Posted via Android Central App

Jgren

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I was in the same boat,I ended up going with the g2 cause I believe it's an overall better device,and the only thing the x had going for it was the voice actions which I wouldn't use cause I don't talk to my phone,also I couldn't live without the led notification,I know the x has active notifications but you still gotta wake it up to see I believe.I like just glancing over to phone and checking for the light.if voice actions is something you would use get the x,if not get the G2,it's a great device

anon(22913)

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I was in the same boat,I ended up going with the g2 cause I believe it's an overall better device,and the only thing the x had going for it was the voice actions which I wouldn't use cause I don't talk to my phone,also I couldn't live without the led notification,I know the x has active notifications but you still gotta wake it up to see I believe.I like just glancing over to phone and checking for the light.if voice actions is something you would use get the x,if not get the G2,it's a great device

No, you don't have to wake it up that's the point. It's like having a notification light that gives you more information. It uses a lot less power. Active Notifications is one of those features that now that I'm using it I don't ever want a phone again without it.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
you dont have to wake it up ..its called active notifications for a reason ..otherwise it would have been called passive notifications :D

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Most people that have reported back about dynamic notifications has said it's buggy and does not work the same.

Thanks but it will get better not that I would even use that. I never even used the LED app that changes all these colors based on who the message is from etc. Way too much hassle in my view. Again, I am not that important and need to do or send stuff pretty regularly so I can check everything then.

Maybe the new Nexus with have the active notifications..? Google Wallet is more important to me that notifications.

Sorry for derailing the thread...I'll let you'all get back to the G2 vs. Moto X.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I though about g2 too, but then I asked myself would the supposedly better screen and camera on G2 compensate me for the touchless controls/active notifications/Assist/Motorola connect on X? Then It was a no brainer I use all the features on X on daily basis, they are really usefull and addictive, I dont watch movies or read books on my 5inch phone and X display is not bad it has great colors and is sharp, Camera was definitely questionable but when i saw the Motorola sw update rolling out which improves the camera , the argumenet g2 vs X just ended for me ..Also motorola is google's Company now ..Im sure motorola will keep updating the android OS on moto x for quite sometime, even though it will take some time compared to nexus as it it has to go through carriers, I didnt have the same faith in HTC or LG ..

Upate: I forgot to mention trusted bluetooth devices..I simply love that feature. Im forced to use security pin on my phone because of my corporate email account, having trusted bluetooth option to not have to type in pattern/pin everytime I want to use the phone is so much usefull, I simply leave it paired to my laptop. It is these little things that add up and take the user experience to new level. motorola did take take time to address customers pain points, atleast they took very good step in trying to address them ..I simply refuse to move to any device which doesnot have trusted BT device, active display and touchless controls ..

Last edited:

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I would go with Moto X for size factor
I like the Active Notifications and Touchless controls
Less Bloatware (out of the box) then other vzw phones.
Smooth OS(no Lag)
I have had Google Wallet on my other phones.I could see Wallet working on Moto X but would probably have to be rooted not sure if bootloader would have to be unlocked.
I dont see Google Wallet working out of the box on the Vzw/Att network using developer edition of the Moto X tho.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

It started acting funny after a couple updates. I hung on to an earlier version and it works great, no battery affect either.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I can think of quite a few reasons I chose the x and barely considered the G2. They're almost all software, but I'm also a big fan of moto's hardware strategy this year. If 9 months ago someone would have said two of the top five devices at the end if the year would be dual core, many works have said they're crazy.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Reasons for Moto X:
You like the size better
You like the moto features
You dont like the LG UI
You dont like the button layout on the G2
Your in the camp that believes that it will get fast updates

Reasons for G2:
You like the size
Better camera(?) and screen
More raw performance(raw, not necessarily "experienced" performance)
You like the LG features
Possibly better battery life(millage may vary)