Why Moto X over LG G2

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I recommend you spend some quality hands on time with both devices. If you are clear about your needs and wants in a device, you'll find which one is more suitable. You certainly can't base your decision on the values of others because they most likely differ largely from yours. The best reviewer is not found on Engadget, Android central, Anandtech, etc. The best reviewer is the person you see in the mirror.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I've been watching a lot of G2 videos and have been seriously considereing it. What's holding me back is the upcoming Nexus 5 and the the bloat and UI on the G2. I also really like the Moto X and would use both phones, but I always like to have a unlocked phone. The G2's UI reminds me a lot of touchwiz, which I don't mind; but always get tired of. I don't mind manufacture UI's but they take it too far. I actaully like the look of stock Android icons, and app drawer area, but they change all of that.

I really like the look of the G2. I'm a fan of 1080P high res screens and I really like the thin bezel on the G2. For myself I guess it all boils down to the UI, stock vs. skinned. I really like stock andoid and like others, like the way the Moto X is nearly stock while adding some nice features.

Jgren

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I came from the og droid and bionic,and I loved those two phones,the only downfall is the cameras in Motorolas are brutal,so this time around I wanted a good camera, when I heard the moto x camera was just like all their other cameras,I went to the g2 and couldn't be happier,I know they're saying there's gonna be an update to fix the camera,but every update on the bionic was supposed to fix the camera and they never did a thing

Posted via Android Central App

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
But can you see it from across the room?

Yup I got good eyes :)

Oh I forgot Moto X got a nice loud speaker too

- - - Updated - - -

I've been watching a lot of G2 videos and have been seriously considereing it. What's holding me back is the upcoming Nexus 5 and the the bloat and UI on the G2. I also really like the Moto X and would use both phones, but I always like to have a unlocked phone. The G2's UI reminds me a lot of touchwiz, which I don't mind; but always get tired of. I don't mind manufacture UI's but they take it too far. I actaully like the look of stock Android icons, and app drawer area, but they change all of that.

I really like the look of the G2. I'm a fan of 1080P high res screens and I really like the thin bezel on the G2. For myself I guess it all boils down to the UI, stock vs. skinned. I really like stock andoid and like others, like the way the Moto X is nearly stock while adding some nice features.

Have you decided then ?Which One?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm on Sprint and waiting for the Nexus 5 announcement as well. We have no clue what carriers will get the Nexus 5. If the device does not make it to Sprint that's OK, I'll pickup the Moto X as my upgrade device.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I came from the og droid and bionic,and I loved those two phones,the only downfall is the cameras in Motorolas are brutal,so this time around I wanted a good camera, when I heard the moto x camera was just like all their other cameras,I went to the g2 and couldn't be happier,I know they're saying there's gonna be an update to fix the camera,but every update on the bionic was supposed to fix the camera and they never did a thing

Well this time, the update did improve camera quite a bit on moto x

AnandTech | Moto X Update Dramatically Improves Camera Quality

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
If I were looking to upgrade from my Nexus 4, the Moto X would be my first choice. I like everything I've read about it, and it just seems to be the first Android phone designed around user experience rather than specs or features. This is coming from someone who cursed Motorola up and down after they screwed over the Photon 4G, and I thought I'd never touch another Moto phone again.

Besides, LG's skin is an abomination. :p

Dregur

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Same android multitasking on the G2, just long press the home button. The G2 has hands down the best camera of any Android out there. Size, battery life and active notifications are the real determinates here. The Moto X feels perfect in the hand, but it didn't last me as long as the G2 as a heavy user with multiple push exchange accounts and a never holding anything back to "save battery". Because why shut things down that I want to run and are designed to run? To compensate for poor battery life, I think not. My daughter now has the Moto X and it works perfect for her and I am using the G2,whichever for now,works perfect for me. My wife uses the GS4 and now wants a G2 because of the battery life. Good luck in whatever decision you make. Honestly, coming from the Nexus before these last two I thought I'd never go with an OEM covered OS over pure Android, but the Moto X is very close and the G2 is extremely customizable. Good luck!

A long press on the home is still not as easy as having it one regular press. Not only that, but why have a menu button when most apps have it already dynamically generated when you use the app? It doesn't make much sense.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I had the Moto X, but swapped for the G2, and now want the Moto X again. The G2 is a great phone, I like the bigger screen and some of the UX features they put in. But I have tiny scratches on the screen already, and the shutter lag is killing me. Now I'm thinking about selling the G2 and going with a Maxx.

The things I miss most about the X are Active Notifications, and the ability to text from my computer using the Chrome extension.

KevLar72

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I had the Moto X, but swapped for the G2, and now want the Moto X again. The G2 is a great phone, I like the bigger screen and some of the UX features they put in. But I have tiny scratches on the screen already, and the shutter lag is killing me. Now I'm thinking about selling the G2 and going with a Maxx.

The things I miss most about the X are Active Notifications, and the ability to text from my computer using the Chrome extension.

There's no way I would take the Moto X over the LG G2 !
The LG G2 is a fantastic device! It's very sleek and power packed !

The only things I like about the Moto X is the curved screen.
From reading things on this forum the Moto X is buggy.

You also can also use DeskSMS for texting from a PC

DeskSMS Is the Best Phone-to-Desktop SMS Solution We've Seen Yet

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
In the past when I had difficulty choosing one device over another, it always came down to ONE thing. Not blogs, not video reviews, and not specs. It came down to going into the store and playing with it for a good hour. Not just flipping thru a couple of screens or firing up the camera, either. I would actually factory reset in the store, and install my Google account, and begin to set it up. (and of course when finished, I would just perform another "factory reset" to delete all my info) . In my opinion, without spending "quality time with the device and REALLY getting a feel for how it will perform for me personally and with many of the paid apps I purchase and come to rely on, I don't believe you can really tell what it will be like using your phone day in/day out...

There have been a couple of occasions when it passed the "in store test, I bought it, brought it home and sadly, it had a few surprises I hadn't counted on. Case in point, the Galaxy S 4 (in store I IGNORED the jitters & the stutters, but once it was mine I just couldn't deal, so $50.00 restocking fee later, I wound up on Optimus G Pro which for 5 months was best phone I ever used till now with the G2). But for most part, my "factory reset test" has done me well, and yes, the store clerks hate me, but i'm not running for Mayor so I really don't care....lol

For me when a phone has a few killer features that the phone i'm wanting does NOT, I weigh "how much of the time i'll be using those features vs how much I will be using the features the phone I want does have. The device that scores the higher percentage points wins "me" as the prize for approx. 6 months!

CAM00154-1_zpse78a6550.jpg
BTC

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
It came to the MotoX and G2 for me too and I choose the G2. I love active display but it wasn't enough to sway me. No, tapping the screen twice to wake it up isn't as good but its good enough.

It actually came to the Dev edition. An unlocked bootloader almost swayed my but I think G2 development right now is moving nicely for Verizon ver. and I couldn't be happier with my choice.

And in two years I don't think I'll feel like its "showing its age" like the GNex became known for and the MotoX may with its dual core S4.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
And in two years I don't think I'll feel like its "showing its age" like the GNex became known for and the MotoX may with its dual core S4.

Minus the fact that the moto X out performed the s4 and HTC one in most performance test that matter.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
My sister-in-law got a G2, and I had the opportunity to dork around on it side-by-side with the Moto X. The G2 has a nice, big ol' screen and it's very perty. It's also extremely quick, but no faster than the Moto X.

Quad core vs dual core, I don't care. The Moto X won't "age" like GNex simply because of TRIM support. Get over it, you weirdos.

ericizzy1

May 17, 2010
Visit site
after playing a bit with the g2, moto x all the way for me, better size, as fast as the g2 if not faster, motorola radio (best in the market, didnt have a singel dropped call or pandora/netflix buffering since i got it and i use 4k min a month with 20 gigs of media streaming), volume buttons where they should be, touchless control, "ok google now" without touching anything, really, its a no brainer

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I bought the lg g2 and it felt to big for me. I am coming from the galaxy nexus which is similar in size to that moto x. I ended up returning it today and going to get something else.

Sent from my A500 using AC Forums mobile app

asharrop

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
There's no way I would take the Moto X over the LG G2 !
The LG G2 is a fantastic device! It's very sleek and power packed !

The only things I like about the Moto X is the curved screen.
From reading things on this forum the Moto X is buggy.

You also can also use DeskSMS for texting from a PC

DeskSMS Is the Best Phone-to-Desktop SMS Solution We've Seen Yet

From reading things on any phone's forum you'd think they're buggy. That's a major point of forums, resolving issues. The moto x is not any more buggy than the G2. And judging by the font issue with the G2 I'd say less buggy...