I will try not to complain about my issue anymore in this forum other than this post because people happy with their phones are apparently getting kinda sick of me. What I would really appreciate is feedback to help me understand how rare or common my observations are with now 4 Verizon Moto X's. Two I bought, and two were Verizon corp. store demo units.

Problem statement: On other end of call I come across very quiet, not like my voice, and somewhat broken up. I hear other person fine and clear (although high frequencies seem filtered out).
    Conditions: Calls ranged from moderate background noise to very quiet environment on both ends. Varying signal strengths also.
    Frequency: 100% all calls, all time in a call, under all conditions.
    Procedure: Call voicemail (several different ones), leave message, play back from a clear land line. Or, call a human.
    Other data: Speakerphone is generally louder to other end but has same problems as non-speakerphone mode. I compared how I sound on this phone to others: Verizon iPhone 5s, S4, G2, Droid Ultra; T-Mobile S4, One; and AT&T S4, G2, X. I tried 4 AT&T demo Moto X's (one in each store) and they all sound loud & clear with no hint of this problem (they also have a smoother vibrator incidentally).

I am not certain that this is the most prevalent issue that Motorola is aware of and fixing with the update. I am under the impression that it is an occasional annoyance to people when there is background noise on either end, that your voice gets choppy every few words. I have not heard too much otherwise except for a handful of posters who may have my problem where their voice is quieter than it should be, including when using one or more voice recorder apps. I did not try that test though because I didn't take the time to download one.

I am trying to decide if I should keep buying Verizon Moto X's until I find one that works or they refuse to sell me any more, or first wait for the update and then try buying. Based on so many people saying they have no problem whatsoever with call quality leads me to believe there are a number of defective units that the update won't fix. Perhaps they were part of a bad batch that got shipped to this region of the country I'm in, thus I am more likely to get a bad one. My first shipped from PA from a phone order, and the others from Verizon I tried are in the DC area.

The other possibility is I am too soft spoken for this phone and it's mic sensitivity is too low compared to other phones for my voice to come through well. Maybe it works better for people with louder voices. Just trying to consider all possibilities.

Here is a link to a review that said "The only complaint our callers had was that the sound from our end sounded too quiet." I do not know if I took it out of context and he meant while there was a lot of background noise though.
    http://pocketnow.com/2013/08/06/moto...or-average-joe
    10-01-2013 09:04 PM
    This sounds like a different way of explaining an issue the update is going to fix.

I'd say sit tight for the update if that's possible but from what I hear about Verizon that could be a while.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-01-2013 09:08 PM
    If all of your Moto Xs have exhibited this problem and you've had so many of them and so many of us haven't had the same problem, I'd be inclined to think that maybe there's something with you or what you're doing to the phone. Perhaps there's an app issue.

Have you tried a factory reset and then making calls BEFORE installing any apps?

10-01-2013 09:11 PM
    I will try not to complain about my issue anymore in this forum other than this post because people happy with their phones are apparently getting kinda sick of me. What I would really appreciate is feedback to help me understand how rare or common my observations are with now 4 Verizon Moto X's. Two I bought, and two were Verizon corp. store demo units.

Problem statement: On other end of call I come across very quiet, not like my voice, and somewhat broken up. I hear other person fine and clear (although high frequencies seem filtered out).
    Conditions: Calls ranged from moderate background noise to very quiet environment on both ends. Varying signal strengths also.
    Frequency: 100% all calls, all time in a call, under all conditions.
    Procedure: Call voicemail (several different ones), leave message, play back from a clear land line. Or, call a human.
    Other data: Speakerphone is generally louder to other end but has same problems as non-speakerphone mode. I compared how I sound on this phone to others: Verizon iPhone 5s, S4, G2, Droid Ultra; T-Mobile S4, One; and AT&T S4, G2, X. I tried 4 AT&T demo Moto X's (one in each store) and they all sound loud & clear with no hint of this problem (they also have a smoother vibrator incidentally).

I am not certain that this is the most prevalent issue that Motorola is aware of and fixing with the update. I am under the impression that it is an occasional annoyance to people when there is background noise on either end, that your voice gets choppy every few words. I have not heard too much otherwise except for a handful of posters who may have my problem where their voice is quieter than it should be, including when using one or more voice recorder apps. I did not try that test though because I didn't take the time to download one.

I am trying to decide if I should keep buying Verizon Moto X's until I find one that works or they refuse to sell me any more, or first wait for the update and then try buying. Based on so many people saying they have no problem whatsoever with call quality leads me to believe there are a number of defective units that the update won't fix. Perhaps they were part of a bad batch that got shipped to this region of the country I'm in, thus I am more likely to get a bad one. My first shipped from PA from a phone order, and the others from Verizon I tried are in the DC area.

The other possibility is I am too soft spoken for this phone and it's mic sensitivity is too low compared to other phones for my voice to come through well. Maybe it works better for people with louder voices. Just trying to consider all possibilities.

Here is a link to a review that said "The only complaint our callers had was that the sound from our end sounded too quiet." I do not know if I took it out of context and he meant while there was a lot of background noise though.
    http://pocketnow.com/2013/08/06/moto...or-average-joe
    My advice to you is return your moto x and free yourself from this misery if you are still interested in this phone check back later when Verizon update is out and you see +ve reports from people that issue is fixed..which im sure it will ..

Ry likes this.
    10-01-2013 09:16 PM
    My advice to you is return your moto x and free yourself from this misery if you are still interested in this phone check back later when Verizon update is out and you see +ve reports from people that issue is fixed..which im sure it will ..

By the way the issue you are reporting sound exactly like the issue Motorola is addressing by fixing there aggressive noise suppressor algorithm .. which can chop your voice and can also make it sound low and muffled.

10-01-2013 09:25 PM
    I did return it, 5 minutes after I bought it. Test calls were immediately obviously bad. Like I said in another post, the manager heard it and gave me attitude like I'm supposed to just accept it, probably because he was tired of dealing with me. He didn't dispute the problem was there though when I insisted on returning it and they marked it DOA.

In the Moto forums it was posted that Motorola is changing some noise cancellation parameters. I almost wonder if some phones off the line got programmed with worse parameters than other phones did and that explains the difference. I'm not sure if they are built into the software drivers or firmware or if it's a configuration data file that's getting updated, meaning that the software build version info in About Phone wouldn't reflect the difference in parameters.
    10-01-2013 09:29 PM
    By the way the issue you are reporting sound exactly like the issue Motorola is addressing by fixing there aggressive noise suppressor algorithm .. which can chop your voice and can also make it sound low and muffled.
    Do you have a source of information that directly states or implies that it can make it sound low and muffled? It doesn't say that in the change log. It may make sense intuitively but I'm looking for more than guesses.
    10-01-2013 09:31 PM
    I posted this on other thread earlier .. thought will post it back here again

Just because the issue happens to some and not to others always does not mean that it is hardware issue and cannot be fixed/ improved at all ..the Lines between software and hardware issue are blurring these days as both need to work together to get something to work well ..I work in this field and we characterize mics and frequency responses for plenty of consumer devices ..every device out there with a mic is slightly different acoustically there is no way you can make every device perform identically same ..its the software that makes it work with the tuning that should adapt automatically giving enough margin to perform equally well on all devices .most of the times the issues we see are invariably fixed by tweaking software parameters in DSP engine ..and the symptoms described by people on this feels exactly like something that can be addressed by sw update ..

PS: I'm not discouraging you not to exchange and get a new moto x you might actually get lucky and get a perfect device that does not show this issue at all ..

Good luck.

10-01-2013 09:31 PM
    Do you have a source of information that directly states or implies that it can make it sound low and muffled? It doesn't say that in the change log. It may make sense intuitively but I'm looking for more than guesses.
    I work in this field ..so I'm making a intelligent guess of course I'm not sure what exactly Motorola is doing ..but at my job I always see issues like this happening when a noise suppresor/ cancellor doesn't cover all cases ..it causes voice to be muffled sound low and choppy which is the worse case

10-01-2013 09:42 PM
    No offense but you are really over complicating this issue. Motorola already stated they are fixing call quality performance.

Do you honestly believe that youve used 5 devices that have a problem that exist only with you and not the other 10k people in the call quality thread?

You don't really think you just talk to low for the phones setup right? You may or may not be panicking over this issue but is does seem like it to me. Help is on the way. Have faith.

guesswhat_567 likes this.
    10-01-2013 09:43 PM
    No offense but you are really over complicating this issue. Motorola already stated they are fixing call quality performance.

Do you honestly believe that youve used 5 devices that have a problem that exist only with you and not the other 10k people in the call quality thread?

You don't really think you just talk to low for the phones setup right? You may or may not be panicking over this issue but is does seem like it to me. Help is on the way. Have faith.

This

10-01-2013 09:44 PM
    I won't deny that I may be obsessing over this too much. I don't think I'm quite at the panic stage since I'm not stuck with the phone, but I'm so tired of my slow 3G phone I was really looking forward to upgrading to a phone I liked and get it done. And by the way I tried 4 with the problem, not 5. Where the 5 came from was I purchased and returned 2 Moto X's, and 3 LG G2's. The G2 calling issue was maddening since it was occasional but highly irritating when it happened. At least with the Moto X it's reproducible easily (so far) and so can identify a bad phone immediately. So after 5 phones not working as phones, I'm kind of at my wit's end about getting a working phone I like and I'm tired of returning them.

My purpose of this thread was to seek clarification that I'm not the only one seeing the specifics of what I see and as often as I see it. Verizon tech support says no one called reporting this issue. So do people not call, they just return them?
    10-01-2013 10:31 PM
    I won't deny that I may be obsessing over this too much. I don't think I'm quite at the panic stage since I'm not stuck with the phone, but I'm so tired of my slow 3G phone I was really looking forward to upgrading to a phone I liked and get it done. And by the way I tried 4 with the problem, not 5. Where the 5 came from was I purchased and returned 2 Moto X's, and 3 LG G2's. The G2 calling issue was maddening since it was occasional but highly irritating when it happened. At least with the Moto X it's reproducible easily (so far) and so can identify a bad phone immediately. So after 5 phones not working as phones, I'm kind of at my wit's end about getting a working phone I like and I'm tired of returning them.

My purpose of this thread was to seek clarification that I'm not the only one seeing the specifics of what I see and as often as I see it. Verizon tech support says no one called reporting this issue. So do people not call, they just return them?
    This is not as widespread as you think ..I have Verizon moto x ..i don't have any issues .I talk only about 15-20 mins per day though

10-01-2013 10:37 PM

i called tech support (as an aside, VZW has the best customer service [over the phone; not in store] that i've ever experienced) and subsequently exchanged X for a SGS4. the problem was with the X; if you're willing to wait it out for VZW to release the update and hope that the problem(s) are fixed, then do so. otherwise, you might consider moving on (i did). the X is, "phone" (in the literal sense) aside, an excellent device; it felt to me like vanilla android+...so refreshing given Sense and TouchWiz abuses. if you're not willing to wait, and if you're "attached" to VZW, then i don't know what to tell you. VZW is sloooooowwwwww to update...as is known. fwiw, i'm moving to a different OS, as much as i enjoy android. SINCERELY, best of luck to you; for me, it was a considered prospect moving to another OS. but hey...if you're not attached to VZW, the nexus 5 should be debuting soon [speculation, based on online reading].
    10-01-2013 11:11 PM
    i called tech support (as an aside, VZW has the best customer service [over the phone; not in store] that i've ever experienced) and subsequently exchanged X for a SGS4. the problem was with the X; if you're willing to wait it out for VZW to release the update and hope that the problem(s) are fixed, then do so. otherwise, you might consider moving on (i did). the X is, "phone" (in the literal sense) aside, an excellent device; it felt to me like vanilla android+...so refreshing given Sense and TouchWiz abuses. if you're not willing to wait, and if you're "attached" to VZW, then i don't know what to tell you. VZW is sloooooowwwwww to update...as is known. fwiw, i'm moving to a different OS, as much as i enjoy android. SINCERELY, best of luck to you; for me, it was a considered prospect moving to another OS. but hey...if you're not attached to VZW, the nexus 5 should be debuting soon [speculation, based on online reading].
    Yep just move on ..instead of frustrating your self .. it's probably just not for you

Ry likes this.
    10-02-2013 12:02 AM
    This has happened to me with two Moto X's. My GF can barely tell what I am saying. I hear just fine. I made a few test calls to others and they say I sound fine, but when I call her, she cant tell what I am saying. Took the phone back. Same damn thing happens to the next one. Frustrated! She also did some test calls with her phone(iphone) and it seems to be just when we talk.

My Moto X probably just resents her for getting an iPhone, after having Android)
    10-17-2013 04:46 PM