05-07-2014 10:52 PM
65 123
tools
    The Google keyboard is miles better than the apple keyboard. I came from an iPhone to the SGS4 to the moto x and I have to say my favorite feature of the Google keyboard is that the letters themselves change case when you push shift. I was never able to tell the case I was in on iOS.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
    I think I prefer the Google keyboard as well, but the iOS keyboard can be very accurate for a person that's is used to it. I am still faster and more accurate on it, but that is changing as I get used to this new keyboard. It all depends on experience and personal preference.

Sent from my Moto X...
    04-25-2014 05:40 PM
    I've used Swype and Swift key, and I have settle on the Smart Keyboard, it allows me to make the keys a little larger for use with my big fingers, so far so good, and I like the text to speech feature on it, but that is just me, to each his/hers own
    I second Smart Keyboard, also because it has the option to eliminate the right-side period key and lengthen the space bar. Period becomes the long-press on the comma.

Sent from some Android device or another using the AC Forums app.
    04-25-2014 11:34 PM
    I purchased swiftkey along time ago. I just haven't been using it since the stock keyboard has been working just fine for me .

sent from my Moto X , Android Central Moderator
    04-25-2014 11:45 PM
    I was a long-time Swiftkey user with my Samsung S3 but after moving to the MotoX, I gave the stock Google keyboard a fair chance. I really like it and now prefer it over Swiftkey for two minor reasons. First, I don't like Swiftkey's themes at all. Tacky and unappealing. Second, I don't like the way Swiftkey would automatically insert a space after a successful word prediction. I'm an old UNIX admin and shell scripter at heart and stray whitespace just goes against my grain.

For tap-tap-tap typing, I prefer Thumb Keyboard. That's what I use on my Nexus 7.

Based on the responses so far, it seems none of these keyboards "suck". It's just that different people have different preferences or expectations. Hopefully there's a keyboard out there that works best for you.
    04-26-2014 10:04 PM
    First, I don't like Swiftkey's themes at all. Tacky and unappealing.
    I really like the "forest" theme in Swiftkey. It's been my go-to for awhile now.
    04-26-2014 10:30 PM
    I'm currently using Fleksy. I love the spacing on the keyboard and the autocorrect is getting better every update. Also the swipe gestures for punctuation, deleting and scrolling through word suggestions is great.

I agree with all the people saying SwiftKey is great, I own it as well. My issue with it, though, is that I don't like the layout. To me it feels a bit cramped.

Posted via Android Central App
    cordoni likes this.
    04-27-2014 01:43 AM
    I'm currently using Fleksy. I love the spacing on the keyboard and the autocorrect is getting better every update. Also the swipe gestures for punctuation, deleting and scrolling through word suggestions is great.

I agree with all the people saying SwiftKey is great, I own it as well. My issue with it, though, is that I don't like the layout. To me it feels a bit cramped.

Trying out Fleskey also. So far it is excellent.

04-27-2014 02:41 PM
    I like both SwiftKey and Google keyboard. I find myself constantly switching between them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    04-28-2014 03:23 AM
    I like both SwiftKey and Google keyboard. I find myself constantly switching between them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    I've used Swiftkey before on a friend's phone, but I have just never felt the need to use anything other than Google keyboard. It's simple, clean, easy to type on, and has swipe.

04-28-2014 06:04 PM
    I had been using Swiftkey for a while but had to leave it for the stock Google keyboard for several reasons. For one, I felt a noticeable lag with Swiftkey that was bothering me. For something used so frequently, lag should not be an issue. Second, I felt like Swiftkey does not do very well with a personal dictionary. No matter how many times I seemed to type my email addresses and usernames, it wouldn't learn them for future ease of use. That's where Google's way of learning words is superior IMO (also the fact that it has built in text expansion which I greatly missed from my iPhone days). Third, Swiftkey had a major problem with double letter words and doesn't seem to have a feature built in to allow swiping for double letters as someone else pointed out (e.g., of vs off).

Despite the seemingly simpler nature of the stock Google keyboard, I have been much happier with it than Swiftkey. Hopefully some feature updates will solve some of my biggest gripes with Swiftkey in the near future.

Posted from my Moto X
    weksa likes this.
    05-07-2014 09:07 AM
    I like Google Keyboard. I tried using Swiftkey, and I didn't like it.

From an SOKP Nexus 5
    05-07-2014 09:22 AM
    I like SwiftKey and Google keyboard, but they both have their pros and cons. I like the look of Google keyboard better and it seems to have no lag where SwiftKey will sometimes have a slight lag when it first comes up and I start typing the first couple letters, but there are a few reasons why I'm still sticking with SwiftKey. First, the top number row in SwiftKey beta. I don't think I could give that up. Second, it drives me absolutely crazy that the Google keyboard doesn't automatically insert a space after a comma. Third, at least for me, the predictions seem MUCH better with SwiftKey. I can type something a couple times and from then on SwiftKey will always remember what I was typing. Google keyboard never seems to learn my patterns very well at all.
    05-07-2014 01:32 PM
    Google keyboard actually does insert a space after the comma. It shows up once you enter the next word.

Posted from my Moto X
    05-07-2014 01:38 PM
    Weird, it doesn't for me. It works as you described for the period but not the comma.
    05-07-2014 02:01 PM
    I was a long-time Swiftkey user with my Samsung S3 but after moving to the MotoX, I gave the stock Google keyboard a fair chance. I really like it and now prefer it over Swiftkey for two minor reasons. First, I don't like Swiftkey's themes at all. Tacky and unappealing. Second, I don't like the way Swiftkey would automatically insert a space after a successful word prediction. I'm an old UNIX admin and shell scripter at heart and stray whitespace just goes against my grain.

For tap-tap-tap typing, I prefer Thumb Keyboard. That's what I use on my Nexus 7.

Based on the responses so far, it seems none of these keyboards "suck". It's just that different people have different preferences or expectations. Hopefully there's a keyboard out there that works best for you.
    Exactly! At least we can switch keyboards. The isheep are stuck with the keyboard that Apple "knows" works best for them. But I guess Apple knows best right?!

sixty_four likes this.
    05-07-2014 10:52 PM
65 123