"Play some <artist name>" doesn't actually play

Jeremy Pippin

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Has anybody had this experience?

• "Ok, Google Now... play some The Cure"
  • "Playing request"
  • Google Music opens with The Cure searched/selected but no actual playing happening. You have to tap The Cure and select an album or song to play.

Given that Google Now prompts you to try this with the "Help Me" command, my expectation is that this command should start playing (I would assume all songs by) The Cure. I have not found a way to make this happen. Has anybody else?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Has anybody had this experience?

• "Ok, Google Now... play some The Cure"
  • "Playing request"
  • Google Music opens with The Cure searched/selected but no actual playing happening. You have to tap The Cure and select an album or song to play.

Given that Google Now prompts you to try this with the "Help Me" command, my expectation is that this command should start playing (I would assume all songs by) The Cure. I have not found a way to make this happen. Has anybody else?

Please try some other artists.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
"OK Google Now, play some Childish Gambino"

Google Now opens, recognizes "play some Childish Gambino" then pulls up this screen -

qClHEi6.png

The blue bar fills and it starts playing a song by Childish Gambino.

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site

Google Now opens, recognizes "play some Childish Gambino" then pulls up this screen -

this happens to me too.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
With me it does Google search instead of digging in library. I give up with touchlesd music playing until they fix this

Posted via Android Central App

Jeremy Pippin

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: &quot;Play some &lt;artist name&gt;&quot; doesn't actually play

I have of course tried this with other artists.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 84487

Are you using All Access? I'm using only my own library; maybe this is the difference.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: &quot;Play some &lt;artist name&gt;&quot; doesn't actually play

I have of course tried this with other artists.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you using All Access? I'm using only my own library; maybe this is the difference.

I do subscribe to all-access but the song example I posted was from my own collection.

dj ozone

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
playing music automatically never worked for me before I got the camera update... but after the update this feature works for me just fine...

asharrop

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've never been able to get it to automatically play when I use an artist's name either. If I specify a song title, it will work every time though. I wonder if they limit this to subscribers only.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I have all access and have yet to get it to actually play a song or artist. It always goes to Google search or pulls up the song with the option to purchase the song. I've installed the camera fix update but it still doesn't work. Any help would be much appreciated as I really would like to use this feature.

Sent from my White Moto X

asharrop

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have all access and have yet to get it to actually play a song or artist. It always goes to Google search or pulls up the song with the option to purchase the song. I've installed the camera fix update but it still doesn't work. Any help would be much appreciated as I really would like to use this feature.

Not sure if it applies but I know Google now is very limited if it doesn't have location permissions. Don't know why that would affect playing music though...

Gamer_Radar

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

View attachment 84487

Doesnt show the blue bar for me, but it will come up with my collection "choose how to play or buy..." is all i get...

asharrop

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Well that's dumb that it won't work without a subscription. Obviously it's not a technical issue. I hope it's a bug and not intentional. I don't look favorably on that type of intentional behavior...

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Well that's dumb that it won't work without a subscription. Obviously it's not a technical issue. I hope it's a bug and not intentional. I don't look favorably on that type of intentional behavior...

I have all access and it still doesn't work for me

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I just figured it out. After I would give the command it would come up but would ask to select how to play. If you select the Google play icon then change it to Google music, it remembers your selection from there on out. Problem solved!

kupochan

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
What got it working for me was to activate google now (holding home button then scrolling up to google icon), let it activate my gps location and turned my history on. Then after that all of the features started working (ex what song is this, play (song/artist)). I did nothing else.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I just figured it out. After I would give the command it would come up but would ask to select how to play. If you select the Google play icon then change it to Google music, it remembers your selection from there on out. Problem solved!

:)

asharrop

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
To be clear, the phone will absolutely respond and launch the music app in all cases, play song, artist, etc... However, only if I said to play a specific song will the music app then play music, and if I asked it to play an artist or an album then after the music app launches it simply displays the artist or album, but requires a tap on the screen to get it playing.

The above solutions are already set up the same way on my phone. Still won't automatically start playing music without a touch or 2 unless I asked for a specific song title...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt