I'm new to Android coming from using Blackberry back in the day and iPhones more recently. I feel like I constantly find new features this phone has that are relatively "hidden". Mine today was the lockscreen. I have pattern lock set up, and didn't realize (swiping from the very edge of the screen) you can swipe to get quick access to the camera, and other custom screens if you swipe right versus left, without having to put your password in each time. Pretty awesome. The gesture is the same as the one used to switch open windows in Chrome.
    Jack Coward likes this.
    10-08-2013 01:59 PM
    I'm new to Android coming from using Blackberry back in the day and iPhones more recently. I feel like I constantly find new features this phone has that are relatively "hidden". Mine today was the lockscreen. I have pattern lock set up, and didn't realize (swiping from the very edge of the screen) you can swipe to get quick access to the camera, and other custom screens if you swipe right versus left, without having to put your password in each time. Pretty awesome. The gesture is the same as the one used to switch open windows in Chrome.
    LOL, those aren't hidden features. Those are called lock screen widgets and was incorporated in 4.2 when it was released by google awhile ago. The quick swipe to camera is a feature of the Moto X. You also can (at anytime while screen is on or phone is locked) twist your wrist quickly twice and that will open your camera as well.

Wecome to Android!
    10-08-2013 02:36 PM
    Yeah I knew the quick camera gesture but never knew there were more screens there! Ha.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-08-2013 03:50 PM
    Well yes they were added in 4.2, their not that emphansized on, you don't know about them unless someone shows you, which makes them somewhat hidden. I just find them more annoying than anything else. Maybe dash clock on the main screen. But thats as far as I'll go.
    10-08-2013 03:53 PM
    Yeah I set up dash clock and my music player widget too for quick seeking through songs. I feel like I've found almost every other useful "hidden feature" though unless you guys have some other good ones.

10-08-2013 04:06 PM
    here is more if u didnt know.

* Press and hold Power + Volume down to take screenshot
    * settings-->About Phone-->quickly tap multiple times "Android version" and when screen changes long press the screen
    10-08-2013 04:29 PM
    Yup, had figured those out!

10-08-2013 05:12 PM
    I got one....
    if you pull down the notification shade and you have multiple email (not gmail) for say, hotmail, you can longpress the notification shade, wait for the vibrate, then drag down to expand the mail descriptions...

(did that make since?)

-Danny
    teufel_hunden_ likes this.
    10-08-2013 05:19 PM
    Use two fingers to swipe down from top of screen to open the quick toggles. Rather than swiping down notifications and then touching button for quick toggles

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk 4
    mayconvert and londonham like this.
    10-08-2013 05:52 PM
    ahh nice I didn't know the long press on emails trick, thanks!
    10-08-2013 05:52 PM
    ahh nice I didn't know the long press on emails trick, thanks!
    Not just emails.The expanding notifications works on all types of notifications.
    10-08-2013 07:45 PM
    Long press on the icons in the quick settings panel to toggle them on and off.

TechTinker likes this.
    10-08-2013 08:02 PM

* Press and hold Power + Volume down to take screenshot
    * settings-->About Phone-->quickly tap multiple times "Android version" and when screen changes long press the screen
    -> Jelly beans, nice!
    10-09-2013 08:44 AM
    looks like u got most of the features down (i just learned two myself from this thread though ive been on android for over 2 years, very cool) anyways, seeing how this is your first android, might i suggest some apps to possibly make your life easier. some you may already know, but we shall see...

- google now (this is obvious and im sure you learned of this immediately, in case you havent, hold the home button down and slide up, play with the settings to really customzie it to your liking)
    - google keep (amazing notepad thats beyond a notepad)
    - google sound search (the best song finder)
    10-09-2013 12:09 PM

* press and hold power + volume down to take screenshot
    * settings-->about phone-->quickly tap multiple times "android version" and when screen changes long press the screen
    how do you get rid of the jelly beans!!! 8-) (kidding - they entertained me for quite a while. I tried to sweep them away fast enough to clear the screen completely, what can I say, I'm entertained easily especially if something is shiney, colorful or moving)
    Westiemom likes this.
    10-09-2013 01:18 PM