Bad Idle drain

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting this, I have a Note 3 that had amazing battery life the first day, but after loading Facebook and Chrome, the wakelocks increased as the battery drain increased. I'm interested in how others are dealing with the wake locks. I've done most of what everyone here as tried, it's slowing down, but I may ditch both if it doesn't stop. I'll keep an eye on this thread for updates.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3 now Free

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for posting this, I have a Note 3 that had amazing battery life the first day, but after loading Facebook and Chrome, the wakelocks increased as the battery drain increased. I'm interested in how others are dealing with the wake locks. I've done most of what everyone here as tried, it's slowing down, but I may ditch both if it doesn't stop. I'll keep an eye on this thread for updates.

The chrome sync basically puts your searches into your google+ account so that other devices can have your web history. This doesn't affect chrome's use, and since I have turned this sync off it hasn't appeared in the wakelock. The only thing that was appearing is the facebook wakelocks and the google search wakelocks.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I also have Battery Stats Pro, and was getting alerts that Chrome itself was draining the battery. And it was, on every battery stat app I have (Gsam and stock battery app, wake lock detector) Chrome and Facebook have been at the top of the list. I have all the updates turned off for now. I did not use Chrome on the Note 2 so I never had that issue before.

Evgeshais300

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
After doing:
Turned off Chrome Sync from Home Screen->Microphone->Settings->Voice->Google Account dashboard->Chrome
+
Disabling sync on bunch of stuff in Settings > Accts > google > my email > driv/photos/ books/magazines/movie tv/google+/people details
+charge it full

my Android OS dropped from 13-17% to 5%

Now its:
Screenshot_2013-10-09-16-03-21.png

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
After doing:
Turned off Chrome Sync from Home Screen->Microphone->Settings->Voice->Google Account dashboard->Chrome

If you stop Chrome Sync from the Dashboard, I believe that stops Chrome from syncing across all devices. I use Chrome on both my desktop and laptop so that's not an option for me.

Glad it's working out for you though.

EDIT: Also, FYI, you can access the dashboard from any computer as well via https://www.google.com/settings/dashboard?hl=en.

mm356

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
What's weird in all this is that for you, Chrome is the main culprit. But for me, location services is the main culprit. Chrome doesn't ping my battery much at all, but Google Services location wakelocks do. So although we have similar battery drain due to Google, it sounds like its for different purposes. Just strikes me as odd...

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I've disabled all location services and then charged to 100%. It seems to have slowed. I'll check back later with more info.

Last edited:

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
You can use Synker:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...evelopers.android.synker&hl=en&token=hSW40BpS

And Llama or Tasker to control what syncs and when a lot better than you can with auto sync. Llama seems to be the more battery friendly (and cheaper and apparently easier to use) of the two.

My experience is that the location based features and cards in Google Now are fairly battery intensive for the first couple of days but it levels off quite a bit after that. I have all of the Google Now cards enabled and all location reporting and history on. I installed Google Wallet and allowed its location features to work and after that it used quite a bit of battery. Even after turning them off in Wallet it continued so I cleared app caches for everything that seemed appropriate and uninstalled and re installed updates to whatever I could. After that the location of my phone was being checked every 42-45 seconds (I monitor it with Tasker) for the first couple days but then dropped to checking it every ~72-75 seconds without me changing anything and it made a pretty decent improvement on my battery life.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Anybody tried activating App Ops? It gets pretty deep into the system without rooting for toggling things on and off.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I really have no complaints about battery life.
I have always had all the google syncs off.I have done that with all my previous android devices as well.
I still have Google WiFi and mobile network check right now
Im just trying to fiqure out why Android OS is always in the top of Settings>battery as you mentioned in the OP.Seems like Android OS was always in the second or third place in the battery stats .
What I have been testing is in my settings>apps>google search I cleared out my cache and data. This bascially wipe out my Google cards I had stored. Then I touch the microphone on the Google bar>settings>and slid the slid bar Google Now off
I can still say ok "Google now"> navigate to ........
Whats the weather like ,Set alarm clock, etc and all that works. It seems as tho I just disabled my Google cards.
Before I made this change the Android OS was at 12% then a little later was at 10% now its at 9%.
I have been using my phone in the same normal manner I been using it and I think this is the first time I seen it in single digits.Its 4th in the settings>battery now.
I am still testing my theory and will be all day tomorrow.
I just starting testing like 30 minutes after globster2000 started this thread.Reading the OP is what made me decide to try this .

Well after I tested out my theory I thought I fiqured a way to keep Android OS from the top of the list in the battery settings.When using the phone that would drop but when the phone was idle it would rise back to the top of list.

Either way my battery life was around 23 hrs-24 hrs .I was just wanting to get Android OS lower(trying to fiqure out why it is always near the top).
I still have Google cards non active since I really dont need them and all else functions without them.So my setup is like the quote shown above.I not going to get OCD about the Android OS being at the top any more ,, since doesnt seem to affect my battery life . HA :)

Last edited:

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
How it shows currently

sent from Moto X

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381410027505.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381410027505.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 30

Ductman1

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Seemed to have solved my issue, got rid of the Facebook app, even though all notifications and syncing was off, wakelock detector had it opening over 120 times in an 8 hour time frame, I now access it thru the browser instead of the app.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Seemed to have solved my issue, got rid of the Facebook app, even though all notifications and syncing was off, wakelock detector had it opening over 120 times in an 8 hour time frame, I now access it thru the browser instead of the app.

Bookmark Facebook and set as link on homescreen. It works without the battery drain

Posted via Android Central App

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Well after I tested out my theory I thought I fiqured a way to keep Android OS from the top of the list in the battery settings.When using the phone that would drop but when the phone was idle it would rise back to the top of list.

Either way my battery life was around 23 hrs-24 hrs .I was just wanting to get Android OS lower(trying to fiqure out why it is always near the top).
I still have Google cards non active since I really dont need them and all else functions without them.So my setup is like the quote shown above.I not going to get OCD about the Android OS being at the top any more ,, since doesnt seem to affect my battery life . HA :)

Do you have Facebook app? That sucker drains

Evgeshais300

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
looks like my Moto X needed some time to adjust to settings i changed yesterday

So far today i had about 40min of on board stored music, 5min phone call, few emails and txts, with total screen time of 30min

Screenshot_2013-10-10-15-16-27.png

giftedmd

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Check out Klyph for a light weight Facebook app replacement. Does all I need it to do, looks better than the official app and won't run in the background if you don't need it to.

I like to leave Bluetooth on on my phone for convenience but I get almost another hour of screen on time with it off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci