Moto X or iPhone 5s

anon(4735768)

May 6, 2012
Visit site
I know this is sure to stir people up, but I've been back and forth with Androids and iPhones over the years and I just recently upgraded to the Moto X from the One X+ and I'm just wondering if anyone has used both for a decent period of time and what their thoughts were.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I know this is sure to stir people up, but I've been back and forth with Androids and iPhones over the years and I just recently upgraded to the Moto X from the One X+ and I'm just wondering if anyone has uses both for a decent period of time and what their thoughts were.

I bought a Moto X on release day, used it a few weeks, returned it, bought a 5s, used that 2 weeks, returned it, and am now back to Moto X. Yes, I'm a crazy schizophrenic.

In my opinion, the iPhone hardware is just ridiculously awesome. I love the size, I love the build quality, I love the camera, etc. Etc. But iOS is so far behind Android that it's not even funny. The iPhone hardware is so great that I tried my best to force myself to like iOS, but in the end I just couldn't do it.

Nobody is going to be able to answer this for you. Both are great phones. You just need to decide android vs iOS.

Sent from my Nexus 7

farb12

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Had a X for two weeks and returned it for a 5s. The X is solid, in fact I'm thinking of buying another one off contract just so I can have both:). I'm addicted to these damn things.

KentuckyHouse

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I've got both the iPhone 5 and Moto X and while I like the 5, I absolutely love the X. It's the first Android phone I've had that matches the build quality of the iPhone. While I like the 5, I just can't deal with that tiny screen anymore. Once you've used everything from the 4.7" X to the 5.5" Note 2, going back to the 4" narrow iPhone 5 screen is painful.

Don't take this as me bashing the iPhone. It's a GREAT device and I'll probably always own one, but there's no way I can use one as my primary device until they put out a larger screen. Maybe next year.

Sent from my Moto X

Michael Small

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Just to add to this, I have and will continue to have both the Moto X and iPhone 5s. While using the Moto X as my daily driver on most days, the iPhone 5s keeps me up to date with the latest with iOS.

I've got both the iPhone 5 and Moto X and while I like the 5, I absolutely love the X. It's the first Android phone I've had that matches the build quality of the iPhone. While I like the 5, I just can't deal with that tiny screen anymore. Once you've used everything from the 4.7" X to the 5.5" Note 2, going back to the 4" narrow iPhone 5 screen is painful.

Don't take this as me bashing the iPhone. It's a GREAT device and I'll probably always own one, but there's no way I can use one as my primary device until they put out a larger screen. Maybe next year.

Sent from my Moto X

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
IMO these are two of the top three devices available today ... I prefer Android and so the Moto has obvious advantages, but I find both to be very impressive devices.

tortex73

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I like you guys, if this question was brought up on xda it would have turned into a flame war within 2 or 3 posts.

I too think both phones are amazing devices. I agree that the hardware of the iPhone is pretty much unparalleled, but iOS has become a hindrance. I always owned an iPhone as well as an Android just so I could keep up with both ecosystems. That said, after having the Moto X for one week I knew I was done with the iPhone for good. I sold my iPhone 5 for $500 and don't miss it one bit.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I like you guys, if this question was brought up on xda it would have turned into a flame war within 2 or 3 posts.

I too think both phones are amazing devices. I agree that the hardware of the iPhone is pretty much unparalleled, but iOS has become a hindrance. I always owned an iPhone as well as an Android just so I could keep up with both ecosystems. That said, after having the Moto X for one week I knew I was done with the iPhone for good. I sold my iPhone 5 for $500 and don't miss it one bit.

Don't get your hopes up. Someone is bound to pop in and troll this thread.

An athlete I coach just bought the 5s. I have to say the build quality is so good. It confuses me how we can't match that in the android community. The camera is outstanding also, however, im not a camera person.

I love the build quality of my Moto X, personally is the nicest android I've held. I'm pretty deeply invested in moto assist for that car so nothing is going to pry me from the X.

The HTC one is great but seems to just have to much material.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Don't get your hopes up. Someone is bound to pop in and troll this thread.

An athlete I coach just bought the 5s. I have to say the build quality is so good. It confuses me how we can't match that in the android community. The camera is outstanding also, however, im not a camera person.

I love the build quality of my Moto X, personally is the nicest android I've held. I'm pretty deeply invested in moto assist for that car so nothing is going to pry me from the X.

The HTC one is great but seems to just have to much material.

I love my moto x. As far as build quality I think the HTC one is built just as well as the iPhone.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I love both my 5s and Moto X. Neither are a clear winner. I disagree that iOS is behind, you just can't customize as much as Android.
I haven't touched my Moto X. Stock everything and love it. ( I never root phones )
People over look things in iOS that are just part of the native OS imo.

Pinkman.

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Im in the same boat trying to decide between the two phones..... I used my upgrade to get the gold 5S as soon as I saw the prices people were paying for the gold I sold it on craigslist. I'm used another line on my account to get another 5S, finger print sensor aside its basically as fast as the iphone 5 I had. If it didnt have a different home button I wouldnt be able to tell the difference. Now, I'm thinking of saving my upgrade returning the 5S and going with the X. I'm just so comfortable with iOS I'm a little scared to go android again.... I have a 64gb iphone and the X is only 16gb so I dont know how I would get all my apps and pics on the phone... I have google music so thats not an issue.. I found one for 450 brand new so I might pull the trigger.... just having second thoughts... :-X

FoneFreak

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
I purchased a Moto X on launch day and loved it after having a iPhone 5 for a year. (I usually switch between IOS and Android each year and I tried a Galaxy S4, HTC One, & Droid Maxx for a very short time) Then I got caught up in the hype of the iPhone 5S and bought one at launch. I was bored with it after a day and immediately missed the features of the Moto X.
I still sold my Moto X on Ebay because I'm on Verizon and wanted the custom wood back one when it lands sometime before the year's end and that will be my phone for the year as I'll use my 5S until then. I love Apple devices and I've always loved Motorola phones and Moto X got so much right and put a bunch of really useful features in it.
If you've never tried the Moto X you won't know what you are missing and therefore you will be happy with the 5S, BUT if you do try it for a couple of weeks and get comfortable with it you will have a really hard time going back to an iPhone that almost feels like a toy meant for a child.
I can't wait to get my hands on a custom wood 32GB version for Verizon and my 5S will be on Ebay shortly after that. My iPhone 5S has also been buggy with reboots, iMessage hangs, app crashes and freezing where my Moto X didn't do any of that. It also annoys me that IOS7 has gotten slower in how it responds because they added more animation effects when entering and exiting apps which definitely makes the phone seem slower than IOS6 was before it.
Active Notifications, Motorola Connect, and Motorola Assist are really addicting and useful features that you will miss after not having them I can assure you that.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
I have both. Used the Moto X for two weeks then bought the 5S on release day and have been using it ever since. Positives with both of them. One of the biggest for me is finger print reader on the 5S. It works, and it works flawlessly. The 5S can also get 8 hours of screen time without a hitch. The Moto X feels better in my hand but the build quality of the 5S is probably the best in the industry. Hard to explain to someone that doesn't have a Moto X, but anyone that does understands that it feels perfect in the hand. I bought both so that I could test drive them and then make a decision and I have. For five reasons I have chosen my 5S over my Moto X. Fingerprint reader, not a gimmick, apple totally nailed it. Camera, enough said. Battery life, the extra hour or two of screen time is huge for me. Applecare+, knock it if you want but Moto support SUCKS. I trash my phone and in about an hour for 79.00 I have a new one in hand. Half the time they give you another one for free. Last but not least is iMessage, if you are a former IOS user you understand this.

The Moto X is a great phone but I'm ebaying it. I want to switch to android full time but not yet. I will jump on the N5 though, I think that the N5 will be my game changer.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't want to start a flame war, but for those saying iOS does not lag behind android, what can iOS do that android can't? Besides being ultra smooth all the time :p

When I reverse that question and ask what does android do that iOS can't, I immediately have a long list. Custom keyboards (can't live without Swype!), widgets, notification led/active notification, drag and drop file system, sound profiles, setting default apps such as browser, mail, and messaging; all immediately come to mind. And you don't even have to be rooted to do all that stuff.

I really wanted to love iOS, and I don't think it's bad by any means. But despite the beautiful and amazing iPhone hardware, I couldn't do it. The biggest thing for me, believe it or not, was not having Swype. If I could have had Swype I probably would have kept the iPhone.

Sent from my XT1053

Edit: oh, and I'm one of the few who actually likes small screens. I'd give anything to get a high end android in the form factor of the iPhone!

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't want to start a flame war, but for those saying iOS does not lag behind android, what can iOS do that android can't? Besides being ultra smooth all the time :p

When I reverse that question and ask what does android do that iOS can't, I immediately have a long list. Custom keyboards (can't live without Swype!), widgets, notification led/active notification, drag and drop file system, sound profiles, setting default apps such as browser, mail, and messaging; all immediately come to mind. And you don't even have to be rooted to do all that stuff.

I really wanted to love iOS, and I don't think it's bad by any means. But despite the beautiful and amazing iPhone hardware, I couldn't do it. The biggest thing for me, believe it or not, was not having Swype. If I could have had Swype I probably would have kept the iPhone.

Sent from my XT1053

Edit: oh, and I'm one of the few who actually likes small screens. I'd give anything to get a high end android in the form factor of the iPhone!

No offense because I love android and probably won't go back to iOS. However, iOS does have better Facebook integration than android. Also, the IOS Imessage is way better than the Motorola connect. Although that might change someday. IPhone does have superior lighting of the phone outside. the find my phone app works flawlessly without much battery drain. I still find it slower for the moto x. siri handles playing of music by voice better than the moto x. Although, the x is touch less. besides that, I can't think of anymore, but they limit for a purpose. It is to keep things simple and easy to use because they target a different crowd.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
I think that it's great for the consumer. Android is a force to be reckoned with. Apple is better at some things and Android is better at others. Advantages to each. The winner here is us. I really and truly believe that for me, personally, Android will win me over sometime in 2014 for good. Apple is great and they make great things but they fell asleep at the wheel ala blackberry. Right now, today, apple fits my needs and wants better than android but the minute that changes then so do I. I believe that the the Moto X is the start of big things and for 2014 the N5 will be the game changer. For me.
some rather mature thoughtful posts. great work everyone.