Moto X or iPhone 5s

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
No offense because I love android and probably won't go back to iOS. However, iOS does have better Facebook integration than android. Also, the IOS Imessage is way better than the Motorola connect. Although that might change someday. IPhone does have superior lighting of the phone outside. the find my phone app works flawlessly without much battery drain. I still find it slower for the moto x. siri handles playing of music by voice better than the moto x. Although, the x is touch less. besides that, I can't think of anymore, but they limit for a purpose. It is to keep things simple and easy to use because they target a different crowd.

Posted via Android Central App

Fair enough. I guess I don't really use any of that stuff so I wouldn't know about it.

Would love to hear from others as to what iOS can do that android can't. I was very pleased that iOS finally got quick settings toggles for WiFi/Bluetooth/etc. I also remember that I really liked iOS "do not disturb" mode. The sleeping mode in Moto assist is similar, but can't easily be manually activated.

Again, not to start a flame war but just honestly to know.

Sent from my XT1053

FoneFreak

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
This comparison is worth a watch....
Apple iPhone 5S vs Motorola Moto X Full Comparison Review AT&T - YouTube

The biggest eye opener is the camera review portion of it. the 5S does over saturate pictures a ton. For me I'd always rather have a picture of what I was looking at be as accurate as possible, not blown out to show more vibrant colors because they look better on a smaller screen. To me it's the same thing as a high-end LCD or Plasma TV in the store and how they are set to "VIVID" mode for store use to grab your eye while walking by. I always calibrate my TV's to be accurate as possible and colors look they way they are suppose too. If I want to tweak them I will, but I don't want the camera doing it for me unless I want it too.
I'm just curious to know if the review was done with the new Moto X camera update or without? As he got great results and if it is before the update than the update only enhanced what his findings were and improved things even more.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
No offense because I love android and probably won't go back to iOS. However, iOS does have better Facebook integration than android. Also, the IOS Imessage is way better than the Motorola connect. Although that might change someday. IPhone does have superior lighting of the phone outside. the find my phone app works flawlessly without much battery drain. I still find it slower for the moto x. siri handles playing of music by voice better than the moto x. Although, the x is touch less. besides that, I can't think of anymore, but they limit for a purpose. It is to keep things simple and easy to use because they target a different crowd.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

That imessage only allows you to send SMS to other apple users? Whereas moto connect can send to all? In that case it's apples to oranges in my opinion because youre trying to say having a limited amount of people you can connect with is better than connecting with anyone you choose.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
One of the biggest deal breaker for iOS/Android was the ability to locally edit documents and excel files, attach them to emails and send.

I'm often emailed for certain documents or being sent them and need to do it on the go. Android was easiest for this to happen.

Dregur

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

That imessage only allows you to send SMS to other apple users? Whereas moto connect can send to all? In that case it's apples to oranges in my opinion because youre trying to say having a limited amount of people you can connect with is better than connecting with anyone you choose.

They're not really the same, protocol wise. iMessage is basically a peer to peer internet messaging service. Motorola Connect uses your actually texting plan on your phone and is sending the message through your phone as an actual SMS.

dasarp

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Here's one, and the mail reason I'm thinking of dropping the Moto X and going back to the iPhone.
The stock email app sucks. I use it for exchange/work email and it does not have conversation/threaded view - which for me is critical, given how many emails I get.

I've looked through the Android app store, tried most of them, and I can't find a single email app that (a) Supports Exchange, (b) Has Conversation View, (c) Allows you to search for emails on the server, and (d) (this one is a nicety, but not necessary) allow you to search the Global Address Book. The iPhone and Windows Phone stock email app does all that! Out of the box!

Dregur

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Here's one, and the mail reason I'm thinking of dropping the Moto X and going back to the iPhone.
The stock email app sucks. I use it for exchange/work email and it does not have conversation/threaded view - which for me is critical, given how many emails I get.

I've looked through the Android app store, tried most of them, and I can't find a single email app that (a) Supports Exchange, (b) Has Conversation View, (c) Allows you to search for emails on the server, and (d) (this one is a nicety, but not necessary) allow you to search the Global Address Book. The iPhone and Windows Phone stock email app does all that! Out of the box!

Touchdown?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The thing that bothers me to no end about the iPhone 5/5s is the scratch-dent-knick prone soda-can-grade aluminum Apple chose to use to save a few ounces (because, you know, folks were really complaining that their iPhone 4s were just too heavy, right?). If you're a person that likes to keep their phone in reasonable condition you HAVE to use a case with the iPhone 5 because it'll scratch if you look at it too hard. ...if they'd just correct that it'd go a long way.

Last edited:

TheIowaKid

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
This has got to be the most mature thread in a forum discussing iOS and Android that I have ever read, and I've read a lot!
iMessage is something I have longed for in Android, and it looks like we will get it with the update to hangouts in 4.4. I agree with the hardware comments and battery life. iOS has gotten that figured out very well, but don't forget about the HTC One. It has a great feel and it put together very well. Battery has a lot to do with the Kernel, and Moto on its first try even has went leaps and bounds over others. I plan to use my upgrade to buy a 5s, sell it and then buy the next Nexus. If it ends up not being as good as it appears to be, I'll buy a moto x direct from Moto Maker with the wood back and still be happy. Things look great in the mobile industry right now.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site

Ahhh I forgot that... I just remember it being smoother.

Wooglin

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a new Moto X last week. I love the device. Awesome build quality and very comfortable to hold and talk on. I have never been a huge fan of the iPhone boxy shape since the 4 came out.

But, a couple critical things that may have me returning the Moto X and picking up an iPhone 5s...

1) Exchange integration for Android is lacking out of the box. Does not support contact sub-folders or multiple calendars. The main for each are the only ones that sync. This is really a deal breaker for me. I have tried all the recommended third party apps...Touchdown, Moxier, Enhanced Email, etc. Moxier was the only one that synced my contact sub-folders (and added them to standard phone/people apps) and my alternate calendars. I thought Moxier was the answer, but it didnt sync ALL calendars, just all my Exchange calendars. So as far as I can find there is no true all-in-one solution for email/contacts/calendars syncing from multiple places (exchange, google, hotmail,..) iPhone does all of this seamlessly out of the box. No hassles and app search headaches (I spent my weekend looking for Android apps that do what the iPhone does automatically).

2) Group texting with iPhone friends is a nightmare on Android. This is all because of iMessage messing with standard SMS. And iOS 7 defaults to SMS off! Ouch Apple. But when you are on an iPhone you notice none of these issues cause everything just works. Trying to troubleshoot group texting on my new Moto X is more trouble than its worth. Tried Go SMS and other third party apps, same result as standard Android messaging app. If I was texting a group of iPhone users I would not be able to receive texts back because they were defaulting to a Group iMessage, not a Group SMS.

Anyway, those two things just HAVE to work easily and with Android I found they definitely did not. I never even considered they would be absent from my Android experience because I just assumed they would work...seems pretty basic. Maybe thats cause I came from an iPhone and these things always just worked automatically. Again, I love the Moto X and I love alot of things about Android but was disappointed about the lack of some basic functionality. And I really wanted to ditch the iPhone and escape the Applesphere, but I have to concede it is a better product all around.

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
2) Group texting with iPhone friends is a nightmare on Android. This is all because of iMessage messing with standard SMS. And iOS 7 defaults to SMS off! Ouch Apple. But when you are on an iPhone you notice none of these issues cause everything just works. Trying to troubleshoot group texting on my new Moto X is more trouble than its worth. Tried Go SMS and other third party apps, same result as standard Android messaging app. If I was texting a group of iPhone users I would not be able to receive texts back because they were defaulting to a Group iMessage, not a Group SMS.

Strange. I use Textra and group messaging with my iPhone friends is flawless.

scrounger

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site

Sounds to me that people that use text should stay away from iphones unless they only know people with iphones.

Wooglin

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Strange. I use Textra and group messaging with my iPhone friends is flawless.

Just realized I had already tried Textra too...I've tried so many things I'm starting to forget what I've done already.

Anyway...I just tested Textra again and it is not group messaging properly with iPhone, at least I cant get it to. The main problem I have is if I am only texting to iPhone users. If there is another non-iPhone in the group it seems to work ok. But when I text two iPhone users their return message defaults to iMessage and I do not receive it. Same problem as on standard Android text app. Strangely enough I just received a return text from one of the iPhones, but not the other. Seems to be an issue with the iPhone automatically switching over Group MMS instead of Group iMessage. One iPhone did this (although for the first time, I have been testing with the same iPhones for days) but the the other one did not.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
If there is another non-iPhone in the group it seems to work ok. But when I text two iPhone users their return message defaults to iMessage and I do not receive it. Same problem as on standard Android text app. Strangely enough I just received a return text from one of the iPhones, but not the other. Seems to be an issue with the iPhone automatically switching over Group MMS instead of Group iMessage. One iPhone did this (although for the first time, I have been testing with the same iPhones for days) but the the other one did not.

FYI that's not android fault--that's iPhone fault.

Before you got rid of your iPhone did you disable imessage?

Sent from my Nexus 7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs