Moto X or iPhone 5s

KHWong0425

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
In the so called so many recent "studies and comparison" between the iphone 5s vs Moto X, they majority agree that they cannot determine a clear winner between these two. They are both good, the build idea and concept fits each design, and both run of OS's that are now familiar to majority of the users... it now really boils down to owners preference, and not really due to because one phone is lacking while the other one isn't. Mobile phones market has grown and matured so much since the first iphone that they are almost all not too different than the other.

For me it was an easy choice for Moto X had several key things that made me a supporter of it. (1) its mfg in America (2) its a Google + Motorola first collaboration. These things i want to support. I was lucky to find that the build quality is great, its a heavier feel that I like; very snappy and does everything I want. I don't have to worry as much about knicks and scratches. Its a phone that is inconspicuous, isn't big like a well known S4, or coveted iPhone where having it stolen is more likely.

I think at the end, its a phone, we talk about them, its an interesting industry to analysis, but at the end, its use whatever you are happy and comfortable with!

Wooglin

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
FYI that's not android fault--that's iPhone fault.

Before you got rid of your iPhone did you disable imessage?

I agree, it is iMessages fault, and I am not happy with Apple for this because I love the Moto X. But doesn't really matter whose fault it is, it should just work and it doesn't with Android. I disabled iMessage (still have the old iPhone). The fact that you have to do that in and of itself is ridiculous. Problem one fixed....now texts come to my Moto X instead of my old iPhone. Then I have had to tell my iPhone friends to make sure SMS is enabled...really? Single texting solved. Now group messaging...testing back and forth...different apps...mixed results all over. But NONE have worked as they should. I'm sure it would work just fine if I group texted with only non-iPhone users so iMessage wouldn't get in the way. But I don't, and I don't know who does.

The group texting problem is secondary to the Exchange syncing issues. This by itself has me heading back to iPhone. Unless Android fixes it within the next 5 days...and I have seen people complaining about this for 2 years.

Someone please help me fix these two things and I will gladly keep my Moto X.

Steve-x

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I can't help but feel the engineering staff at Motorola took a lot of queues from Apple engineering when they made the Moto X. They only added the hardware needed to do the job well. They didn't use the fastest processor or the highest res screen, they used exactly what is needed to give a great user experience. Then they considered how the phone should feel in the hand and did an amazing job. The back is rounded yet won't rock if you want to text with it laying on a flat surface. The speaker on the back is better then it being on the bottom from my experience so far. I went from an iphone 4 to a Moto X. When I got the iphone 4 just under three years go it was the best smart phone made by a mile. I've never been an Apple fan but the phone was amazing. The build quality was so very impressive. I have since used a few iphone 5's, they just aren't as impressive to me. They still build great hardware though and if you're into the whole Apple eco-system no reason to not go with an iphone 5s.
I honestly believe if Steve Jobs were still alive he would be impressed with the Moto X, he would never admit it of course.

btw, I'll take active notifications and touchless control over a fingerprint reader any day. If Apple had released the Moto X it would have taken the world by storm. I don't use a passcode lock though, if I did then the fingerprint reader would hold more value for me.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Great thread everyone. Wooglin, I would like you to try something. your friends that have iPhones used to send you iMessages until you go the Moto x. Have them Delete your old contact that was associated with iMessage and have them create a new contact and send them a normal person to person text. THEIR iPhones should no longer try to default as iMessage and that may fix one fo your issues.
I do agree tho, the iPhone email client is the best in the business. I can't believe that to this day Android hasn't tackled Native (GOOD) email clients that support more than Gmail, and Native Visual Voicemail that isn't a 3rd party app. (I use AT&T vvm app)
I am lucky that I don't have an exchange acct, so the native email on android works with all my emails including the me.com's and icloud.com's

One advantage I would like to point of for iMessage are pictures aren't compressed. Texts on android are. Not a super big deal tho.
I know one thing for certain. The Moto X is the best experience I have ever had with any android device (over all) It's not perfect, but dam near it.
I thought about returning the Moto X and just sticking with my iPhone. But something strange happened. I found that when I go to grab one of the two phones sitting in front of me, iPhone 5S and Moto X, I grabbed the Moto first, every single time.
It may be the most perfect phone as far as size and feel ever made. It may not have over-the-top specs but the phone Never ever lags or stutters no matter what I am doing with it.
The always on screen is one of the best features ever added to a phone. I am So glad I tried this phone. I almost grabbed the S4 for the 2nd time when I walked into AT&T 7 days ago.
I thought, why not try Moto, I can return it and grab S4 if I didn't like it. I couldn't be happier with my choice. Moto X is a superb phone with an excellent user experience over-all.

There are some things that iOS simply does better than android, but by the same token, there are some things the Moto/android does that iPhone may never do.
Someone earlier said it best. Both are great devices here. There is no True winner between the two OS'. The Win comes from consumers having both to chose from.

Wish people would stop looking at specs and give the Moto X a try. Such an amazing device. Other than stuff like facebook, starbucks etc, I use stock everything. (message app, email app etc)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Hangouts is another really obvious cross platform service that has no opportunity for crossed messages and doesn't compress videos, pictures, etc.

atkjhi

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
My 5S is going back as soon as my Moto X arrives. I just don't like iOS so despite the great camera and finger print scanner, it just wasn't enough to swing me over to Apple.

kidfox4u

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same boat!! Though I'm torned between Moto X and Samsung Galaxy s4...I'm going from RAZR Maxx. I love Moto products and now that Moto is owned by Google I feel the Moto X also built in the USA will have some future advantages for updates and features. Though I'm not crazy not being able to expand the memory on the Moto X or remove the battery. Though my Maxx has never been an issue with a sealed battery. The S4 seems more bells and whistles which I am a bells and whistles type guy....And honestly have to say have taking a liking to a bigger screen for entrainment and app purposes. I just don't know! Any opinions on S4 or Moto X would be highly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!! Dont mean to take away from the iPhone....But I would be lying if I said Im not anti apple...lol We live in a Google world now. ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same boat!! Though I'm torned between Moto X and Samsung Galaxy s4...I'm going from RAZR Maxx. I love Moto products and now that Moto is owned by Google I feel the Moto X also built in the USA will have some future advantages for updates and features. Though I'm not crazy not being able to expand the memory on the Moto X or remove the battery. Though my Maxx has never been an issue with a sealed battery. The S4 seems more bells and whistles which I am a bells and whistles type guy....And honestly have to say have taking a liking to a bigger screen for entrainment and app purposes. I just don't know! Any opinions on S4 or Moto X would be highly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!! Dont mean to take away from the iPhone....But I would be lying if I said Im not anti apple...lol We live in a Google world now. ;-)

Having owned both I can agree it's a tough choice. I prefer the Moto X because its basically stock android with some great useful features.
If you are a bells and whistles person, I would go with the S4. It has every bell and whistle ever put on a smartphone.

Experience Moto > S4
Camera S4 > Moto (S4 camera rocks)
Screen S4 > Moto
Features S4 > Moto
Useful (i.e Feature someone might actually use more than once) Moto > S4.

Size: Tie. Honestly they both are near perfect in the hand. I will give a slight edge to the Moto because of the curved back and smooth edges.

I am one of the few that actually likes TouchWiz even tho it cause all samsung phones to lag. People are blind or lying if they say the S4 doesn't lag. (or it could be they have never owned anything but samsung and don't understand what a smooth OS is like) (i.e iOS 6)
My brother just went from iPhone to an S4 and traded it off within 3 weeks of owning it. He said it lagged way too much for him. ( and he likes samsung )
Myself, I could deal with the lag simply because I like the phone.

But all said and done. Moto X is awesome, soooo happy with it. IMO Moto x > S4 but that is 100% personal preference.
If I could make my own device: Moto X with a 4.8" LG IPS 1080p screen, Samsungs camera with a mix of iOS and Touchwiz camera software. nom nom nom

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
A note on the stock email app vis a vis exchange:

I've been using the moto x since day one with my work exchange account. It doesn't have an option to search the GAL directly, but I've found that if I type the name of who I'm sending the email to in the address bar it will pull up the correct email from the GAL (although it will usually cycle through any relevant phone contacts first). This method hasn't failed me yet.

I can also access sub-folders in my exchange account. Not sure why you can't.

I can't help you with your calender problem, however. The stock calender app has no problem syncing my work exchange based calender and my personal gmail calender and integrating the two. I don't have multiple exchange calenders so I can't help you with that problem.

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I've looked through the Android app store, tried most of them, and I can't find a single email app that (a) Supports Exchange, (b) Has Conversation View, (c) Allows you to search for emails on the server, and (d) (this one is a nicety, but not necessary) allow you to search the Global Address Book. The iPhone and Windows Phone stock email app does all that! Out of the box!

I do all four of your requirements with Touchdown. Our exchange server was upgraded from 2007 to 2010 about a year ago, so I know it can work with both versions. I use the ActiveSync option.

Posted via Android Central App

Coop1701

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
My 5S is going back as soon as my Moto X arrives. I just don't like iOS so despite the great camera and finger print scanner, it just wasn't enough to swing me over to Apple.

I have to say.., I love the Moto X, the features are great. But I would have gladly traded with you. I should have stuck with my iPhone. I can't do any work stuff on the Moto X and it's killing me. Both phones have their pluses. I'm researching trading now.

Wooglin

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Wooglin, I would like you to try something. your friends that have iPhones used to send you iMessages until you go the Moto x. Have them Delete your old contact that was associated with iMessage and have them create a new contact and send them a normal person to person text. THEIR iPhones should no longer try to default as iMessage and that may fix one fo your issues.
I do agree tho, the iPhone email client is the best in the business. I can't believe that to this day Android hasn't tackled Native (GOOD) email clients that support more than Gmail, and Native Visual Voicemail that isn't a 3rd party app. (I use AT&T vvm app)

While I appreciate your suggestion to have my iPhone contacts delete and recreate my contact, this is simply not a viable solution. If it is not something I can fix on my own, then it is not a solution. While this may work, there is no way I can ask all of my iPhone contacts to do this.

A note on the stock email app vis a vis exchange: I can also access sub-folders in my exchange account. Not sure why you can't.

I can't help you with your calender problem, however. The stock calender app has no problem syncing my work exchange based calender and my personal gmail calender and integrating the two. I don't have multiple exchange calenders so I can't help you with that problem.

Just so we are clear, I have no problem accessing email sub-folders on my Moto X stock email client. However, I cannot access, view, or sync contact sub-folders from Exchange. Only Moxier app has been able to do this. But Moxier does not sync any calendars outside of Exchange. So I would have to use multiple clients to have access to all my needed contacts and calendars. So again, there is no all-in-one solution in Android that I can find for email/contacts/calendars syncing from all sources in one place...which iPhone does seamlessly out of the box.

Scotly50

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Just so we are clear, I have no problem accessing email sub-folders on my Moto X stock email client. However, I cannot access, view, or sync contact sub-folders from Exchange. Only Moxier app has been able to do this. But Moxier does not sync any calendars outside of Exchange. So I would have to use multiple clients to have access to all my needed contacts and calendars. So again, there is no all-in-one solution in Android that I can find for email/contacts/calendars syncing from all sources in one place...which iPhone does seamlessly out of the box.

Enjoy the iPhone. (Since your one specific need is so important.) That is why there are so many phones on the market. Get the one you want. None really cares what you use anyway.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Enjoy the iPhone. (Since your one specific need is so important.) That is why there are so many phones on the market. Get the one you want. None really cares what you use anyway.

Nice Civil comment. That would be like me saying no one cares about your opinion on this matter.
Comes off as You sounding a little **** hurt that he may have to go back to an iPhone.

CR6

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I always enjoy it when people come to an "Android" forum and ask for people's opinion as to whether they should buy an Android or an iPhone. That's just good comedy right there! :)
Oh, and yeah, I'd go with the X.

tap'n

kidfox4u

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Funny.... I thought the same thing asking about the iPhone on Android forum..... but all is good.....I'm trying to get a feel to go for X or Galaxy s4 seeing that Nexus 5 won't be on Verizon

CR6

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, real bummer about the Nexus! But there are some great phones coming down the pipe, so I'm not too concerned. I think I'm one of the few people that have never really been impressed with Nexus phones anyway (at least hardware wise) other than being pure Google, which you can usually get anyway by flashing a decent ROM.

tap'n

kidfox4u

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually just reading about and trying to educate myself on flashing and rooting devices and see what the real advantages of do so are.....I hear about it all the time but have not found why everyone seems to do it?? I seen it gives you the ability to remove bloat ware etc.....But what is the real advantage to rooting..And also learning about what is considered a true android or Google experience?? Like when I hear the Moto X is closest to stock Android? I'm not as techy as I thought..... Lol But I want to be....Have to start somewhere....