I'm trying to decide on purchasing a Moto X.

How many junk apps are to be expected by buying the Moto X at an AT&T store vs an AT&T-ready phone via Motorola's Moto Maker site?

I see AT&T offers a device unlock service. Will AT&T unlock a newly purchased Moto X? I don't see anywhere in their rules that it has to be owned for a period of time, just that the phone has to be paid off.

Has anyone had their Moto X unlocked and used it overseas? Interested in usage in Europe and the 'stans.
    10-12-2013 06:44 AM
    The AT&T retail version comes with the My AT&T app and Visual Voicemail out if the box. After the recent update I noticed AT&T Locker show up. All of these can be disabled if you wish but not uninstalled completely. You will also get AT&T address book in the contacts that cannot be easily removed or disabled. The only way to avoid carrier apps is to get the Gsm developer edition thru the moto maker site.

AT&T will unlock devices that are out of contract. So as long as you are not under contract and purchase the device at retail (non-subsidized) price you should be able to have it unlocked. Don't have any experience with use overseas, sorry.
    10-12-2013 07:04 AM
    The moto maker version is exactly like the retail store version except it can be customized externally.

As mentioned there are only 3 Att apps out of the box.

Sent from my White Moto X
    10-12-2013 10:02 AM
    There is an internal difference too - as far as I know, the 32 gig version is available only through moto maker

Posted via Android Central App
    10-12-2013 10:10 PM
    thanks for the advice.

Forgive me, but I'm a long time Sprint customer, but I'd like some clarity on the unlocking. Will AT&T unlock a brand new Moto X that I buy off of the Moto Maker site? I still don't quite understand the process.
    10-13-2013 04:27 AM
    thanks for the advice.

Forgive me, but I'm a long time Sprint customer, but I'd like some clarity on the unlocking. Will AT&T unlock a brand new Moto X that I buy off of the Moto Maker site? I still don't quite understand the process.
    This is what AT&T says officially Bottom line: We Unlock Our Customers
    10-13-2013 07:30 AM