Kit Kat update

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Do Moto X owners already have most of what is included in Kitkat? Or is there something new for us besides the new dialer and text messaging apps?

How would we know? Kit Kat hasn't even been announced yet, so we don't know what features it will have.

Posted via Android Central App

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Just because Motorola says updates for 24 months, it doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be timely or numerous, or that they even necessarily relate to OS version updates. After all, Motorola updated the Droid X not to long ago... that's a device that has been supported and update for MUCH longer than 24 months, just not with OS updates. I know I'm nitpicking on wording here, and that fact is annoying, but it's the way I see it.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Why would Google waste resources to code 4.3 when 4.4 will be out within 2 months of the phone release?

Well Google would not waste any resources because the phone is made and coded by Motorola... not Google(which is a very odd misconception ppl are commonly having?)

happasaiyan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Really? and my S3 is already being tested with 5.0. Buddy of mine that works for Samsung told me so... Smells like...

There is not evidence anywhere that moto will get any special treatment for updates. Both Google and Moto have said explicitly that they will not get the updates early and thus will be on the same time frame as everyone else. No mater how much the moto x looks stock, i can guarantee you it is not under the hood. Moto has to take the time to develope and optimize code for hardware and get all of the unique features(and carrier bloat) working.

I am afraid that anyone that is looking for updates much quicker than anything that is not a nexus or GPe device is going to be disappointed. I mean sense the moto x has a finished 4.3 build already and everything...

http://feedly.com/k/1h4ceTp

See.

bryantest

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
What I'm really curious is what kind of tinkering will Motorola do with Kitkat's expanded Touchless Controls. Is it reasonable to expect Motorola bring unique features of Touchless control feature with its Kitkat update?

Kamron Erani

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Well Google would not waste any resources because the phone is made and coded by Motorola... not Google(which is a very odd misconception ppl are commonly having?)

aren't google wasting resources on motorola though? I thought I read somewhere that google sent some of their android peeps over to motorola.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, Motorola is a Google company folks.

Yup ,,,I think they are kinda split into two divisions.But I think these divisions work close as far as cooperating with each other.For example seeing Moto apps pulled and being able to be updated from the playstore (camera,touchless controls).The camera and touchless controls have been already updated again ,,,since the maintance update was released.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
What I'm really curious is what kind of tinkering will Motorola do with Kitkat's expanded Touchless Controls. Is it reasonable to expect Motorola bring unique features of Touchless control feature with its Kitkat update?

What unique features of touchless control does the Nexus 5 have?

bryantest

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
What unique features of touchless control does the Nexus 5 have?

Um e.r...WHAT???

I think you misunderstood my question. I did not said that the Nexus 5 has unique touchless controls features...but has an expanded set of touchless control (like contextual cards for example)

that being said/..I am asking if do you guys think Motorola can bring some unique stuff with Kitkat's expanded touchless control functionality.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Um e.r...WHAT???

I think you misunderstood my question. I did not said that the Nexus 5 has unique touchless controls features...but has an expanded set of touchless control (like contextual cards for example)

that being said/..I am asking if do you guys think Motorola can bring some unique stuff with Kitkat's expanded touchless control functionality.

But if the Moto X gets KitKat or there's a Google Now update that includes that expanded set, the Moto X would have the Motorola features PLUS all the Google Now updates.

bryantest

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
But if the Moto X gets KitKat or there's a Google Now update that includes that expanded set, the Moto X would have the Motorola features PLUS all the Google Now updates.

Yes I understand that..but what I'm asking specifically if it's a or not a far fetched idea to think Motorola will bring new stuff as far as touchless controls functionality is concerned aside from what the Moto X and Kitkat provide right now.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
If kitkat is going to do away with the messaging app, how will the Moto X deal with drive assist? I guess they have to somehow port that feature to hangouts?