Moto X camera features an software question...

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey moto x users, does the moto x have a timer in the camera app settings? Also, do you get notified (screen turns on,pop up window) when you get a text or is it just in notification bar? Lastly, to wake the phone do you have to press the hardware buttons or just the onscreen keys at the bottom?

I have an htc one an love it but camera is horrible with purple tint so im looking for an alternative.

anon(6085464)

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Well mine is not here but i can answer couple questions.

In any aosp camera you have the time option so i don't see why moto x doesn't have that.

For notifications, active display will help you out a lot. Better watch the Moto x ad videos for that cause its kinda weird to explain, but it's one of the best features of this phone.

If you want to manually wake it, you will have to push the button, unless you use the touchless controls.

Camera wise, the Moto x is getting an upgrade with improves the quality a lot from what i read.

Hope that helps you.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Well mine is not here but i can answer couple questions.

In any aosp camera you have the time option so i don't see why moto x doesn't have that.

For notifications, active display will help you out a lot. Better watch the Moto x ad videos for that cause its kinda weird to explain, but it's one of the best features of this phone.

If you want to manually wake it, you will have to push the button, unless you use the touchless controls.

Camera wise, the Moto x is getting an upgrade with improves the quality a lot from what i read.

Hope that helps you.

Yeah i didnt see an camera timer when i saw a video on youtube so that sucks in a way unless they didnt go into certain options?

Ok ill watch the videos on notifications,i had an iphone which was great on telling you when you get a text,the htc one just shows a blinking light unless you download an app to wake screen which is my last resort.

So by pushing the button to manually wake it would that be the power button or the screen buttons below(home,back,menu)?

On the camera didnt it just get an ugrade to improve the pictures?

Gamer_Radar

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey moto x users, does the moto x have a timer in the camera app settings? Also, do you get notified (screen turns on,pop up window) when you get a text or is it just in notification bar? Lastly, to wake the phone do you have to press the hardware buttons or just the onscreen keys at the bottom?

I have an htc one an love it but camera is horrible with purple tint so im looking for an alternative.

-I don't see a timer option

-active notifications allow you to see what goes on. So a notification comes in and middle of the screen displays it, you can flick up to go to the app, or to the right/left to dismiss or down for the phone to go on.

- usually as soon as I take my phone out active notifications shows the time and k swipe and bam in the phone.
Move it on the desk too. Same thing. Irately touch my hardware buttons anymore

Sent from my XT1058(moto x) using AC Forums mobile app

anon(6085464)

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I suggest you download jb camera+ app from the playstore so you can take pics on your phone and test those features.

You will love active display notifications. As for the wake up part, the onscreen buttons are useless until the phone is completely awake and unlocked.

Camera got an improvement in quality.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
No countdown timer in the stock camera software, at least on AT&T. I got the Camera JB+ app which is basically the stock Jelly Bean camera found on Nexus devices, It is pretty feature rich (to include a countdown timer) with image and video size settings options and many other available settings. It does not have photosphere though. I use this in place of the stock camera on occasion.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com.moblynx.camerajbplus&hl=en&token=l0e8FhdO

When you get a text the screen does not wake completely nor is there a traditional popup when the phone is in sleep mode. There is a notification of the incoming text with a text message symbol on the screen (active notifications). Like has been pointed out, it is a little difficult to explain and its best to check out a youtube video review to see it in action. Much better than a led notification light in my opinion.

Waking the device can be done in a variety of ways. The hardware sleep wake button, by dragging an active notification up to open the notification directly or what I usually do is as soon as I pick up my phone or take it from my pocket or holster it shows the time and a lock icon on the screen. If you drag the lock icon downward it unlocks the phone. I rarely use the hardware button for any reason except to put the phone to sleep if it doesn't timeout first.

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
No countdown timer in the stock camera software, at least on AT&T. I got the Camera JB+ app which is basically the stock Jelly Bean camera found on Nexus devices, It is pretty feature rich (to include a countdown timer) with image and video size settings options and many other available settings. It does not have photosphere though. I use this in place of the stock camera on occasion.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com.moblynx.camerajbplus&hl=en&token=NnGZsrkR

When you get a text the screen does not wake completely nor is there a traditional popup when the phone is in sleep mode. There is a notification of the incoming text with a text message symbol on the screen (active notifications). Like has been pointed out, it is a little difficult to explain and its best to check out a youtube video review to see it in action. Much better than a led notification light in my opinion.

Waking the device can be done in a variety of ways. The hardware sleep wake button, by dragging an active notification up to open the notification directly or what I usually do is as soon as I pick up my phone or take it from my pocket or holster it shows the time and a lock icon on the screen. If you drag the lock icon downward it unlocks the phone. I rarely use the hardware button for any reason except to put the phone to sleep if it doesn't timeout first.

Thanks everyone for answering my questions. mhunter, i ssee you have a htc one dev,between moto x an the One which do you prefer?

I like how the phone wakes up when picking it up. Im disabled partially in my hands so when i was using the htc one,it got annoying to have to press the lock button on top everytime. I read about idle battery drain on the moto x, have any of you had this issue? Also the speaker being on the back is it much of a problem?Same with the mic at the bottom on the back,is that the mic for video recording? kind of like galaxy s4 where they placed the mic,on the bottom on the back side.

anon(6085464)

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone for answering my questions. mhunter, i ssee you have a htc one dev,between moto x an the One which do you prefer?

I like how the phone wakes up when picking it up. Im disabled partially in my hands so when i was using the htc one,it got annoying to have to press the lock button on top everytime. I read about idle battery drain on the moto x, have any of you had this issue? Also the speaker being on the back is it much of a problem?Same with the mic at the bottom on the back,is that the mic for video recording? kind of like galaxy s4 where they placed the mic,on the bottom on the back side.

Those issues are not general, not everyone has them so that depends on user and phone.

The Moto x has a lot of mics so he can listen to you despite the position and place.

And like i said the camerajb app is better than stock.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

The Htc One is a very good phone but I much prefer the Moto X for many reasons not the least of which is the touchless controls. I also have some issues with my hands and some loss of finger dexterity and I find this phone very easy to handle. I have not had any issues with idle battery drain, I guess that has a lot to do with various apps you might install, signal strengths in your area and a wide variety of factors but again for me it has not been an issue. The speaker on this phone is quite good, not the same as front facing of the Htc but really good for a phone, better than on any other phone I have had except the Htc One and its pretty close to being as good as that one. There are three mics on the phone, top, bottom rear and bottom front. The mic placement aides in use of voice recognition / touchless controls, noise cancellation and audio for video recording.

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
The Htc One is a very good phone but I much prefer the Moto X for many reasons not the least of which is the touchless controls. I also have some issues with my hands and some loss of finger dexterity and I find this phone very easy to handle. I have not had any issues with idle battery drain, I guess that has a lot to do with various apps you might install, signal strengths in your area and a wide variety of factors but again for me it has not been an issue. The speaker on this phone is quite good, not the same as front facing of the Htc but really good for a phone, better than on any other phone I have had except the Htc One and its pretty close to being as good as that one. There are three mics on the phone, top, bottom rear and bottom front. The mic placement aides in use of voice recognition / touchless controls, noise cancellation and audio for video recording.

Same here i have loss of finger dexterity an grip so the htc one while i do love it,the moto x seems like its better to handle an use without pressing hardware buttons like the One. Yeah as far as apps i dont really use them but if i do itll be the camerajb app RorixRebel mentioned. Well i guess my best bet is to go to the att store an check it out. I was going to swap the One for another One but i have a feeling ill still end up with the purple tint camera issue in low light.

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Forgot to ask,is there alot of bloatware on the X like there is on the One? Im with att an the One had alot of it installed. And how much storage do you have out of the box for 16gb? When i had the iphone 4s it was 16gb but of course it i only got 13gb and some change.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Forgot to ask,is there alot of bloatware on the X like there is on the One? Im with att an the One had alot of it installed. And how much storage do you have out of the box for 16gb? When i had the iphone 4s it was 16gb but of course it i only got 13gb and some change.

Only bloat ware apps on AT&T version is My AT&T, Visual Voicemail and AT&T locker. They also add AT&T address book into the contacts app. Out of the box mine had just north of 11gb available space when started up first time.

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Only bloat ware apps on AT&T version is My AT&T, Visual Voicemail and AT&T locker. They also add AT&T address book into the contacts app. Out of the box mine had just north of 11gb available space when started up first time.

Thats a major plus. I dont store much like music,photos an videos all the time. I end up transferring them at the end of the day to my laptop. Well ill be going to att tomorrow an swap the One for another One an if the camera remains the same with the purple tint then ill get the moto x.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thats a major plus. I dont store much like music,photos an videos all the time. I end up transferring them at the end of the day to my laptop. Well ill be going to att tomorrow an swap the One for another One an if the camera remains the same with the purple tint then ill get the moto x.

Best of luck and hope it works out for you. Check back and let us know.

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Best of luck and hope it works out for you. Check back and let us know.

Thanks mhunter,i'll definitely report back on it if i get it which im sure i will because of those features you pointed out due to disability. By the way does the X charge faster than the One or about the same still?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Almost no bloat.

Posted via Android Central App
Even tho the vzw model has more bloatware then the AT&T model it has far less then other vzw phones with the exception of the Galaxy Nexus.

@SouthTex while I can not comment on the HTC One sinced I never owned that phone the Moto X does charge fast compaired to other phones I owned.

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Even tho the vzw model has more bloatware then the AT&T model it has far less then other vzw phones with the exception of the Galaxy Nexus.

@SouthTex while I can not comment on the HTC One sinced I never owned that phone the Moto X does charge fast compaired to other phones I owned.

Nice! Yeah the htc one seems like its the only phone out right now that is new that takes long to charge. Im leaning towards the X more an more now. Can you put a wall paper on the lockscreen on the X since it uses active notifications?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12