Is the Moto X going to loose its niche when 4.4 comes out?

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Google Now will have the 'always-on' functionality of Moto X in Android 4.4. Another huge plus for or the N5 with the bigger battery.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(6085464)

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Yeah but without the dedicated cores for that function it will become a battery killer feature.

And for what i saw on the leaked pics you only have like 1 or 2 mics in the n5.

Plus if you wanted that function you could get the app that emulates that.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

dpw2atox

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Actually the snapdragon 800 SoC has built in support for the 'always-on' voice functionality when the device is idle without the need of ramping up the cpu cores. Yes Motorola will lose its niche in some ways however don't expect Motorola to just sit by and do nothing about it. From what people have said in the developer builds for 4.3, they are expanding the touchless control functionality. Plus since the touchless controls is a dedicated app it will contain more functionality than a simple google now search so there will remain some advantages to the X.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Actually the snapdragon 800 SoC has built in support for the 'always-on' voice functionality when the device is idle without the need of ramping up the cpu cores. Yes Motorola will lose its niche in some ways however don't expect Motorola to just sit by and do nothing about it. From what people have said in the developer builds for 4.3, they are expanding the touchless control functionality. Plus since the touchless controls is a dedicated app it will contain more functionality than a simple google now search so there will remain some advantages to the X.

I'm really looking forward to moto's follow up to the moto x. Great time to be a consumer!

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I thought I read somewhere that the listening mode feature in 4.4 only worked when the phone was awake, unlike the always listening that the Moto X does. In other words it didn't require you to open Google Now like it does on other android devices currently. Is that correct or no?

ericizzy1

May 17, 2010
Visit site
other than the perfect size/screen/battery/features on the moto X, motorola has the best radio's out there, for me its the number one thing for a PHONE

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
You are still forgetting about Active display / Notifications. That is something I can almost guarantee won't be included in 4.4. First off the moto x has two addition cores for natural language processing and voice recognition & contextual computing and gesture recognition.
Also if a non amoled device were to attempt this , the battery would drain significantly faster.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
You are still forgetting about Active display / Notifications. That is something I can almost guarantee won't be included in 4.4. First off the moto x has two addition cores for natural language processing and voice recognition & contextual computing and gesture recognition.
Also if a non amoled device were to attempt this , the battery would drain significantly faster.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2
Agreed. Was just throwing out what I read. The N5 will have a notification light I'm sure. I missed the light with my moto x but got used to the active notifications pretty fast. Still
A huge fan of the light.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Actually I very rarely used notification light , most times had it disabled.I do use active notifications tho all the time.

sent from Moto X

anon(4196132)

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I remain unconvinced that always listening is the 'killer feature' of the Moto. For me, the active notifications are far more useful, and something that I use on a regular basis.

Also, the new Nexus is going to be massive in comparison. The almost 5" screen is just hard to hold/use if you don't have large hands. I far prefer the physical size of the Moto X :)

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Don't think it will have always listening feature like moto x to wake up the device when the device is in deep sleep with screen off ..i think people are getting confused with with the new Google search app which is in always listening mode only when the Google now is opened and screen is on ..kitkat might bring better integration of that feature but don't think it will always be listening when screen is off like on moto x ..remember kitkat is all about bringing all the goodness to all the devices out there even to the less spec'ed devices ..if Google includes always listening feature only for nexus 5 which has the low power DSP core ( so as not to kill the battery on other devices) it will break its own agenda and create fragmentation ..so I don't think always Listening feature will be as full fledged and completely baked in like moto x ..but it might be included in some limited ways..

ryleyinstl

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I think the best feature of the X is Active Notifications. Doesn't sound like 4.4 is getting any of that goodness.... And even if I'd did you'd still need the right screen tech to pull it off correctly.

Pulling your phone out of your pocket and getting notification info without touching anything is so simple but yet so revolutionary. Combine that with 24hr battery life (made partly possible by active notifications) and you have a huge winner. The new Nexus might pull in the enthusiast crowd but the bread and butter user will much prefer the X.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
The X8 probably wouldn't exist if the S800 existed when the Moto X was designed. It can do everything it can, only faster and more efficiently. It will be exciting to see what Google/KitKat do, or at least enable devs to do, with the technology. Nexus is all about showing what Android can do, and obviously everyone was very impressed with the Moto X's voice capabilities. Google Glass is all about voice controls so I'd say the general technology was a priority to Google well before the Moto X was drawn up at Moto. So, I guess we'll see. The Moto X will still be the best option for vanilla Android lovin' folks on Verizon (who don't/won't root), as the Nexus 5 most likely will not be an option for them.

Oh, and I'd expect the other OEMs to do something similar with Qualcomm's new tech, too (think S Voice using the low power DSP entry point). So, yeah.

Last edited:

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Seriously? Google " Google Now will have the 'always-on' functionality of Moto X in Android 4.4", click on the link, then read.....

He's being (somewhat unnecessarily) sarcastic and referring to the fact that despite numerous reports of a Google Experience Launcher, Hangouts SMS integration, and so forth, there has yet to be any formal announcement. He is correct, though, in the implication that reports stating 4.4 KitKat "will feature" X and Y may be slightly presumptuous, no matter the presumed validity of the recent 'leaks'. Also, I do believe the Google Experience Launcher reports indicated that the feature would be available when the device is unlocked and otherwise in use, but not when in standby. Here's a comment I wrote on Google+:

Let's make sure we're all on the same page here. The S800 requires no 'additional cores' for this type of low-power standby processing (contextually-aware applications included). The SoC includes the Hexagon DSP, which is intended specifically for these purposes. I do believe LG is working on taking advantage of this, so it's not as far of a stretch as some may believe. Whether or not LG and Google have the intention of incorporating this into the upcoming Nexus phone is anyone's guess. I won't be all too surprised either way.

That said, incorporating hardware-dependent software features into AOSP Android isn't an insignificant task or decision, and such additions to the platform must be well-executed. It has happened before, as seen with Android Beam and NFC, and to some extent the addition of WiFi Direct support.

Despite that, there's an important detail about the "always-on" listening mode mentioned in the Google Experience Launcher reports. Listening when the phone is active wouldn't necessarily require offloading the listening and processing to purpose-oriented hardware (the Moto X's natural language and contextual awareness cores or the S800's Hexagon DSP chip, for example). Listening when the device is in some form of battery-conserving standby would require such hardware dependence in order to maintain a proper experience (primarily through battery draw), as done with the Moto X. With the former, it would be significantly easier to deploy this functionality across all 4.4 devices with microphones, rather than only those with supporting hardware.

See the KitKat motto: "it's our goal with Android KitKat to make an amazing Android experience available for everybody."

Enabling launcher-dependent listening when the device is unlocked and in use allows for widespread adoption of the feature, while full implementations (see: Moto's features) would likely restrict feature support significantly.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
the s800 chip has the always listening built in so there will be no battery issues there either. For Active Notifications I kept a version of the Dynamic Notifications app (I believe it's the last version of the .apk before they were forced to change names) and that .apk file is sitting in my dropbox so I don't lose it because it was still nicely trimmed down, no hit to battery, and bug free on that version. Looks like I'm all set for the N5 to be able to do everything the Moto X does in those regards :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995