Phone restarts by itself, constantly after update.

DaNPrS

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm new to Android so I'm not very familiar with it's OS and how to troubleshoot it. This is in fact my first Android phone and I received it Friday last week.

As per recommendation from others one of the first things I did when I set up the phone was to root it. Last night I was prompted to update the phone, so I did. Immediately after I clicked to update the phone has been restarting on it's own. It will be on for about 30 seconds to a minute at most and restart. And it did this all night. At first I thought it was updating but after an hour or so I had to do something about it.
I then tried to manually turn it off but it just came back on, on it's own. And repeated the cycle. At this point I had to unhook it from the charger and hope the battery dies so I can sleep, the vibrating every minute it reboots is annoying. I had it placed deep in the closet inside a winter jacket to dim the sound.
So at around 7AM this morning I took the phone out and it was off, battery finally dies I thought. Upon hooking it up to the charger it reboots to half the battery still being there and the cycle of booting and rebooting recommences.

I'd like to call up Motorola but to do that I think it's best I first not have the phone rooted. So any help is appreciated. I'm afraid doing anything through the phone may be impossible since it's constantly restarting. Maybe a hard factory reset is in order but I don't know how to do that either.

anon(6085464)

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you need to probably clean the cache, soft brick to my eyes.

Also whoever suggested you to root your first Android phone within one week without using it is a complete tool.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

DaNPrS

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks but that's not working. I've tried to Normal Boot, Recovery, BP Tools and Factory, it all results in booting as normal followed by the inevitable endless power cycle.

I called Motorola, they tried pretty much what I did. They'll be sending me a new phone but I wonder if they'll notice I've rooted the phone and then charge me for the new phone.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully they won't check it, keep your fingers crossed for that. When you get your new one leave it alone and enjoy it as is. They're good to go out of the box. Just out of curiosity, why the need to root after just getting the phone?

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering the same thing. What was your reasoning behind rooting the device? Since you are new to the Android ecosystem, use the phone as is for a while before looking to root.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

DaNPrS

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I've Jailbroken every iPhone I've owned so it was impulse really. I think I can live with a stock Android seeing as how amazingly customizable it is. Seriously, it's pretty awesome. Well thanks guys.