Verizon OTA Soak Test

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
My update is installing at this moment. I'm not expecting to notice that much of a difference. Isn't it just the camera (which has been fine by me)?

dpw2atox

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Yup overall the phone feels more or less the same, though the camera seems to work better and focus faster. I never had issues with call quality so I can't comment on that though others on different carriers said it resolved their call quality issues. It does seem to hand over from 4G to Wifi a bit faster, I also noticed that now using "Ok Google Now, play music ______" actually works.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
The comical thing about this soak test are rooted users. Prior to soak test Motorola made it clear not to sign up for the soak test if your phone was rooted. Some rooted users are having issues.

Best quote so far is this: "I guess my brother "rooted for me" a few days ago and didn't tell me."

Classic

sunburned

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Yup overall the phone feels more or less the same, though the camera seems to work better and focus faster. I never had issues with call quality so I can't comment on that though others on different carriers said it resolved their call quality issues. It does seem to hand over from 4G to Wifi a bit faster, I also noticed that now using "Ok Google Now, play music ______" actually works.

Camera definitely does 'touch to focus' faster than before. It was lethargic before this.

My Google now has always worked very well, even for starting Play Music. It would play specific songs or just a random song if I asked for a artist.

dpw2atox

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I see someone on Droid Life uploaded the OTA to mediafire along with instructions so pasting the info here for those who aren't in the soak or don't want to wait. Just remember if you're rooted or were rooted but didn't go 100% back to stock you'll bootloop.

Blur_Version.139.10.53.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US

1. Download the file from above and drop it on your phone's internal storage.

2. To install, power your phone off.

3. Hold Volume Down and Up, then Power to boot to the boot menu.

4. Volume Down once to highlight "Recovery," Volume Up once to select it.

5. Once Android with exclamation mark appears, press Volume Up and Power at the same time.

6. From recovery, Volume Down to "apply update from sdcard," Power to select it.

7. Choose the file you downloaded previously.

8. The update should begin. Enjoy.

fierro951

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Camera definitely does 'touch to focus' faster than before. It was lethargic before this.

My Google now has always worked very well, even for starting Play Music. It would play specific songs or just a random song if I asked for a artist.

Mine still won't play a song at random if I ask for an artist. :( am I missing something

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Mine still won't play a song at random if I ask for an artist. :( am I missing something

Once you speak your request and the picture of the artist pops up, you can select which Google app fulfills your request by selecting the icon on the left underneath the picture of the artist. Select Google play music and it should remember from now on.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
This is atrocious.

Posted via Android Central App

Verizon has typical testing cycle of 4-6 weeks ..shows that moto submitted the build to Verizon 4 week back for carrier testing..and Verizon probably approved it now for soak test this week ..if this goes well ..it will be fully approved by Verizon and Motorola will be able to push it to all .

PlayDLine

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has typical testing cycle of 4-6 weeks ..shows that moto submitted the build to Verizon 4 week back for carrier testing..and Verizon probably approved it now for soak test this week ..if this goes well ..it will be fully approved by Verizon and Motorola will be able to push it to all .

Maybe a silly question - but if you've received the soak test update does that mean you won't receive the "official" update when it rolls out, if no changes are made to it?
This is my assumption but wanted to verify. Thanks.

happasaiyan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
The comical thing about this soak test are rooted users. Prior to soak test Motorola made it clear not to sign up for the soak test if your phone was rooted. Some rooted users are having issues.

Best quote so far is this: "I guess my brother "rooted for me" a few days ago and didn't tell me."

Classic
I declined the soak test because I didn't want to re-enable the VZ bloatware.

opuntia2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Who actually pushes out the update, the builder (Moto) or the carrier? If it's the builder, then I'm just playing devils advocate here, but couldn't it also be that VZW signed off on the build back on 9/20 and was waiting for Motorola to push it out? Maybe Moto likes to stagger out the updates across the carriers as opposed to pushing them all (or almost all) out at once (e.g. Apple).

dpw2atox

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Maybe a silly question - but if you've received the soak test update does that mean you won't receive the "official" update when it rolls out, if no changes are made to it?
This is my assumption but wanted to verify. Thanks.

The OTA in the soak test is the same thing that will be released officially when the soak is done. If an unforeseen major issue is encountered, a new update will be compiled along with a minor update for those on the soak so everyone can have the final software version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool