Has anyone given up their S4 for the X?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Just curious, why would someone be crazy to swap an S4 for an X? Just like to hear opinions as I'm about to do that exact thing.

You certainly would not see a performance hit and might even like it better as the Moto X is very smooth. Once you get used to saying Ok Google Now, it is pretty useful. It is smaller in form but I think a tad bit heavier which gives the device good heft. Feels good in the hand and pocket or on a holster. Active notifications are revolutionary and very useful as well as cool. One thing I also like is the very strong vibration mode and the face that the screen comes on when you pick up the phone, you rarely have to press the power button.

The S4 is feature rich, has a bigger screen (I really like that) and has a better camera. If you do not use the features of touchwiz then that gives the Moto X the edge because it is more useful. If the camera is important, keep the S4 because it is better. With the update the Moto X camera is not bad but the S4 takes better pictures. Also if you use the micro SD card a lot the Moto X base model is 16GB with no sd card.

Both are great devices, but a bit different on the feature set. I have a 32 GB touch wiz S4 I am keeping as a backup for my wife and family. Personally, I would take the 32GB Moto X over the S4 since I feel it has more useful features and I have all the features of the S4 turned off.

Just my .02 cents.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Why can't we just get a phone that has everything?

The s4's screen size, s-beam, swipe for screen shot, removable battery, SD cad slot, camera

The ONE's build materials, speakers, screen quality, looks, zoe

Note 3 battery life

And the moto X's touch free operation features?

When will some genius combine ALL OF THAT into a single phone?

That would murder the competition.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
gave up my s3 if it helps you out. gotta say ilove the moto X
just had it for 1 day and i got 2.5 hours of screen time and it was on from 7am until 6pm with 10% left.

and hell i used it alot, gotta say im quite happy with it.
no lag at all, seriously, at all

That's not a lot of screen time at all.

My s3 with 2.5 hours of screen time lasts all day!

If the battery wasn't so small I would switch, but now I'm thinking note 3

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Why can't we just get a phone that has everything?

The s4's screen size, s-beam, swipe for screen shot, removable battery, SD cad slot, camera

The ONE's build materials, speakers, screen quality, looks, zoe

Note 3 battery life

And the moto X's touch free operation features?

When will some genius combine ALL OF THAT into a single phone?

That would murder the competition.

I am glad I am not the only one who thinks that! It sure would save me a ton of cash! Maybe Moto is off to a start with customizing features. The problem is most people do not know their phone. I saw someone with a moto x last night at a function and she had no clue about the phone. All she knew is that she got to pick the color of the back...sigh

Based on the specs that have leaked for the Nexus 5, it is getting close to my ideal device. But so is the 32GB moto x. Having trouble deciding. Maybe both?

Last edited:

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
That's not a lot of screen time at all.

My s3 with 2.5 hours of screen time lasts all day!

If the battery wasn't so small I would switch, but now I'm thinking note 3

I get around 6 hours of screen time with my moto x. Also can easily get two days with around four hours of screen time.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I am glad I am not the only one who thinks that! It sure would save me a ton of cash! Maybe Moto is off to a start with customizing features. The problem is most people do not know their phone. I saw someone with a moto x last night at a function and she had no clue about the phone. All she knew is that she got to pick the color of the back...sigh

Based on the specs that have leaked for the Nexus 5, it is getting close to my ideal device. But so is the 32GB moto x. Having trouble deciding. Maybe both?

If you go with one or the other I don't see the n5 being able to beat the moto features on the x. Of course if you can swing both then of course do that lol.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I get around 6 hours of screen time with my moto x. Also can easily get two days with around four hours of screen time.

4 hours of screen time wouldn't get me through a day, but it's better than 2.5 hours.

Plus with the battery not being removable and li-ion batteries having a certain lifespan, as much as I love the X, I'm gonna get the note 3.

This is Gonna be my first big phone

TheBigBass

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
The note 3 has this battery life because battery technology relies on the assimilation of chemistry and electrical engineering while the performance of phones simply relies on electrical and computer engineering. Chemistry is the slow moving science. Battery technology will not develop with the same pace as the hardware of the phone. For this reason the biggest way to increase batter life is simply a bigger battery so this is where the design strategy is today, increase the dimensions of the battery to get more charge time. There are different kinds of batteries but the main difference between then is overall lifespan. We should all pray that some innovative new battery tech comes out because this is what is holding smartphones back, manufactures could make more powerful phones but if they don't have batteries to power then for a reasonable amount of time what's the point?

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
4 hours of screen time wouldn't get me through a day, but it's better than 2.5 hours.

Plus with the battery not being removable and li-ion batteries having a certain lifespan, as much as I love the X, I'm gonna get the note 3.

This is Gonna be my first big phone

Would six hours get you through your day?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
If you go with one or the other I don't see the n5 being able to beat the moto features on the x. Of course if you can swing both then of course do that lol.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

looking for the N5 to replace the S4 GPe. I have grown attached to using google wallet. I think the N5 and 32GB Moto X would make a good pair. Gotta sell this moto x first.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
You certainly would not see a performance hit and might even like it better as the Moto X is very smooth. Once you get used to saying Ok Google Now, it is pretty useful. It is smaller in form but I think a tad bit heavier which gives the device good heft. Feels good in the hand and pocket or on a holster. Active notifications are revolutionary and very useful as well as cool. One thing I also like is the very strong vibration mode and the face that the screen comes on when you pick up the phone, you rarely have to press the power button.

The S4 is feature rich, has a bigger screen (I really like that) and has a better camera. If you do not use the features of touchwiz then that gives the Moto X the edge because it is more useful. If the camera is important, keep the S4 because it is better. With the update the Moto X camera is not bad but the S4 takes better pictures. Also if you use the micro SD card a lot the Moto X base model is 16GB with no sd card.

Both are great devices, but a bit different on the feature set. I have a 32 GB touch wiz S4 I am keeping as a backup for my wife and family. Personally, I would take the 32GB Moto X over the S4 since I feel it has more useful features and I have all the features of the S4 turned off.

Just my .02 cents.

That's part of the problem, the camera. I use the crap out of mine on the S4. We're always taking pictures of our kids. Have an 11 year old and a year old baby. So it's very important to me. The Android lover in me is all about stock Android. And Verizon isn't getting a Nexus any time soon, so the X is the next best thing.

I use some of the features on the S4 like the air gestures to answer calls or in the gallery to see the picture a little better. So they aren't completely lost on me. But I do think the X additions are probably more useful in day to day situations.

There's nothing on the S4 that I couldn't live without, aside from maybe the camera. But on that same token, there's nothing that I really don't like about it, either. I'm just a tech junky.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
(snip)......... I have grown attached to using google wallet. I think the N5 and 32GB Moto X would make a good pair. .......(snip)

I used to use Google wallet all the time on my vzw Nexus and vzw S3.Kinda fun to see peoples expression when travling to places and people have not seen it used ever before.
I do kinda miss Google Wallet but Vzw is the only carrier that meets. my needs I wish AT&T and other carriers would expand their coverage more to give vzw more competition here.

I had an S3 and had most of the gesture turnes off as I didnt use them .(I still have the phone just currently not active)

Other then that I love my vzw Moto X .Perfect size(pocketable), cool features,low bloatware,no lag ,etc

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I have a defective unit, because I cannot stand the camera on my S4. If I need to zoom in it gets all grainy and pixelated.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I have a defective unit, because I cannot stand the camera on my S4. If I need to zoom in it gets all grainy and pixelated.

Weird!
I can zoom on my pictures pretty close before seen graininess. And I normally take them at 6MP or 8MP. Never more then that since there's no need for me.

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463