So the unthinkable happened and I dropped my phone my screen is severely cracked although it's working and I love my moto X but when I go to AT&T to try to get my insurance replacement whens even though the cost is 199 I'm still willing to pay for it but they told me I have to settle for an all white are all black model which is a little ridiculous if you think about it I mean I paid 250 for and olive green moto X but they refused to give me the card I need to customize one without me paying full price then what's the point of insurance? I mean I think it's a little ridiculous I don't understand why I can't just get that card the best they can do is having to pay 199 for a black or white and then on top of that taking that model and trading it in for a card to be able to order a brand new one and then paying the difference which would probably be around the range of 399 total maybe more when I originally paid 250 I could go through the hassle of replacing my screen but I'm actually willing to pay more to avoid the hassle has anybody else had any issues like this? I mean I know its my fault but the lack of support is actually making me regret switching to the Moto X from the HTC One

Posted via Android Central App
    10-16-2013 08:23 PM
    So the unthinkable happened and I dropped my phone my screen is severely cracked although it's working and I love my moto X but when I go to AT&T to try to get my insurance replacement whens even though the cost is 199 I'm still willing to pay for it but they told me I have to settle for an all white are all black model which is a little ridiculous if you think about it I mean I paid 250 for and olive green moto X but they refused to give me the card I need to customize one without me paying full price then what's the point of insurance? I mean I think it's a little ridiculous I don't understand why I can't just get that card the best they can do is having to pay 199 for a black or white and then on top of that taking that model and trading it in for a card to be able to order a brand new one and then paying the difference which would probably be around the range of 399 total maybe more when I originally paid 250 I could go through the hassle of replacing my screen but I'm actually willing to pay more to avoid the hassle has anybody else had any issues like this? I mean I know its my fault but the lack of support is actually making me regret switching to the Moto X from the HTC One

Was wondering when the broken custom stories would start coming in. Sorry to hear your story. Sounds like AT&T has no plan for this and I promise you that Motorola doesn't.

10-16-2013 08:29 PM
    Contact Motorola support using the moto are app on your phone. There is a repair and return program- you should be able to get your customized phone back.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    globster2000 likes this.
    10-16-2013 10:47 PM
    Check out this thread and the links in it, might help you. http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...ght-phone.html

Apparently this guy found a $175 repair fee, but I don't know if it will preserve your custom colors. I truly hope so, to me it would be a total travesty if that insurance coverage you bought didn't make you completely whole - i.e. same phone!

Please keep this thread posted. I'm interested as I have a Moto Maker phone and the insurance. I fully expected the insurance would replace my phone with the exact same one.

My daughter has the insurance on her IPhone 5. When it was stolen, they replaced it with an upgraded IPhone 5s (this is Att which took care of it since the insurance is through ATT, not Apple, or in my case, Motorola).

I'm now wondering - and this might be the rub - the insurance is through ATT. You bought your phone through Motorola. ATT only carries the black and white phones - and in 16 gig only. Maybe the issue (and I'll have to read the policy I guess) is that ATT only honors the insurance with phones they actually carry themselves?

Carrying this further - does this mean that you not only would get screwed for the color, but also screwed for the storage if your broken phone is 32? A plain-jane 16 gig phone to replace a custom 32 gig phone? That would really **** me off, since I paid good money for that upgrade!

[edit] Just looked at this web page http://www.att.net/smartcontrols-MobileInsurance

It states:

REPLACEMENT EQUIPMENT
    Once your claim is approved, the replacement device will be shipped to you and received overnight in most cases. The goal is to fulfill your claim with the same make and model, depending on availability. If the same model is not available, similar make/model will be provided. Claims may be fulfilled with new AT&T Certified Like-New, remanufactured or other models of like, kind and quality. Click here to learn more about AT&T Certified Like-New equipment. Device color, brand, model and features may be different and accessory compatibility is not guaranteed

They have obviously allowed themselves total wiggle room. HOWEVER - if they don't replace your phone with same OR BETTER (like they did with my daughter's IPhone - with the above language, they could have easily justfied giving her a 5c), I would be royally ticked off and raise a holy stink. If this happens to you, please post because I will join you as will I'll bet every other sap who bought a Moto Maker phone and the insurance, only to be chumped in the claim!
    10-17-2013 03:09 PM
    Drop att insurance and get moto care extended if you still qualify. 80 bucks for 2 years 40 dollar deductible

10-17-2013 04:23 PM
    Drop att insurance and get moto care extended if you still qualify. 80 bucks for 2 years 40 dollar deductible

Looks like the Motorola extended is perfect for damage (it looks like it will replace Moto maker devices with same or better), but it doesn't cover theft.

"only covers operational or mechanical failure caused by an accident from handling and does not include protection against normal wear and tear, theft, misplacement,..."

If course, theft isn't a subject of this thread, but it is something the ATT insurance covers. Gotta figure out if the ATT insurance replaces Moto Maker with same......
    10-17-2013 04:59 PM
    I just dropped mine today. Called moto care and got code for new one. I have their protection plan and I've asked them if I'm going to pay $39 deductible. Answer was no. :-) Since Motorola doesn't have way of repairing moto x at this moment everyone can get a new one. Even better you can get a new design. It's a shame I like my redskins moto to much so I'll stick with the color pattern for now. I hope this helps. Oh almost forgot they'll put a hold on your cc until you ship them your broken phone.

10-17-2013 05:21 PM

Yes that motocare looks better but they don't cover lost/stolen. I luckily bought motocare when I bought the custom phone. Yielded me 189 including tax.

10-17-2013 07:11 PM
    Yes that motocare looks better but they don't cover lost/stolen. I luckily bought motocare when I bought the custom phone. Yielded me 189 including tax.

My phone never leaves my hand.. Only way its getting stolen is someone beats me up for it.

Is there a time period you have to get moto insurance?

10-17-2013 08:02 PM
    My phone never leaves my hand.. Only way its getting stolen is someone beats me up for it.

Is there a time period you have to get moto insurance?

i just checked in hopes i could still get it. But alas, up to 30 days after purchase, otherwise ineligible.
    10-17-2013 08:05 PM
    30 days from date of purchase.

10-17-2013 08:05 PM
    How do I sign up for Moto care insurance

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X
    11-17-2013 04:07 PM
    I purchased though Att, can I still get Moto extended warranty?

11-17-2013 05:35 PM