Last night I was outside at a barbecue and tried taking some pics of the huge full moon. It was pretty dark but there was lighting on the pool deck where I was. In just about every picture I took I got some dots in the picture. At first I thought it was a dirty lens or even some dust that was trapped inside the lens. The I finally realized that it was reflections of the moon and other light sources. If it was dust or a dirty lens the spot would be in the same spot of every picture but the spots moved depending on the picture I was taking and it had a very noticeable blue color to it.

I asked a buddy of mine who is pretty good with cameras and he agreed it was light source reflections of the lens and even his phone had similar spots. It's a phone first and camera second so I guess there are limitations when dealing with such small lenses.
    10-20-2013 06:27 PM
    The other night when the moon was full I tried to take a pic and got a reflection to.
    I rarely take a night time pic.
    It didnt come out very well but I wasnt surprised.
    I tried on other cellphones I owned , of taking similar pic of the moon and never got what I would call a good pic of it.
    I would be the first to admit I am no camera expert btw ha
    10-20-2013 07:15 PM
    Last night I was outside at a barbecue and tried taking some pics of the huge full moon.
    That was your first mistake.
    10-20-2013 09:49 PM
    Could you post the shots?

Posted via Android Central App
    10-20-2013 09:54 PM
    Sorry but I deleted them. But like davidnc said, shots like these are not keepers. Even with a DSLR it's difficult to take goods pics of the moon and you'd definitely need a tripod. I was just messing around and wanted to see what my new Moto X could and could not do, and I guess I'll just put this in the could not do column.
    10-20-2013 09:59 PM
    I took pics of our chiminea at night with a good raging fire in it with my Galaxy Nexus and they turned out quite good. But with the Moto X, I get the same purple stuff the iPhone 5 was known for. It's disappointing but nothing I will want to jump off a building over. It just means I can't reliably take shots with a fairly strong lighting source aimed toward the lens.
    10-20-2013 10:11 PM
    Could you post the shots?

Posted via Android Central App
    Ok i took a pic of the moon no zoom HDR on auto,
    touch to focus on.
    The moon was just rising over a tree.

sent from Moto X
    10-20-2013 10:35 PM
    You kind of need adjustable F-Stops to control the depth of field. Without that, your picture can't reflect the way your mind tricks you into thinking the moon is "big"
    10-20-2013 10:39 PM
    Thanks David, that is what I was seeing as well. But I think we all knew before buying the Moto X that the camera was not its strong point.
    10-20-2013 10:45 PM
    Thanks David, that is what I was seeing as well. But I think we all knew before buying the Moto X that the camera was not its strong point.
    Yup , thats true . But actually with any cell phone I had I never got what I would call a great night shot of the moon those phones being the OG HTC Incredible , Moto DX, Galaxy Nexus or S3.
    10-20-2013 10:48 PM