Hello,

I fixin' to ditch the ol' iphone 4 that is only two years old but feels 25 for a moto x or a droid maxx. I don't understand why it is $100 cheaper on Amazon than on ATT or Verizon. I am currently on ATT but plan to switch to Verizon next month due to just plain bein' wore out with ATT's bs. Also is there a disadvantage to buying one on Amazon as opposed to one of the two carriers? I would like to hear some opinions on which is the better phone from ya'll as all this review reading is wearing me down. I love the long battery life of the Droid Maxx is it a beter phone than the moto x?

Sincerely,

2yearsentencealmostserved
    10-20-2013 09:33 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! You can often find better deals on phones from places like Amazon, Costco, or Wirefly, compared to the actual wireless company's website. So if you can find a better deal, go for it! Just make sure you're looking closely at the details of the phone, and that you're comparing the exact same phone. For example, maybe you're looking at the 16 GB version compared to the 32 GB version, and that's why it's cheaper.

Ordering from these kinds of companies should be pretty worry-free. I got my original Razr Maxx via Amazon, and it was totally smooth sailing. The main disadvantage would be if you got a faulty phone delivered to you--you'd then have to discuss it with their customer service over the phone, after which they would likely send you a replacement (and then you'd have to mail back yours). If that happened with a bricks-and-mortar wireless store, you could just bring the phone back to them, show them the problem, and they could usually give you a replacement right there.

I can't really comment that much on the difference between the X and the Maxx based on personal experience, but the user experience is supposed to be very similar, considering that they use the exact same processor. From what I've read:

1. The X has a very sleek design compared to the Maxx's more industrial (and larger) design.
    2. At this time, the X on Verizon is limited to the 16 GB version, while the Maxx goes up to 32 GB. Since neither support external SD cards, the extra storage might be very important, depending on how much stuff you like to store or install on your device.
    3. The Maxx might have a little more bloatware than the X, but not sure about this.
    4. The X's battery life is pretty decent, but the Maxx's battery is a monster (without making it feel particularly heavy), so if you're a heavy-duty user, you might want to go with the Maxx.
    5. I would expect the X to get Android updates a little more quickly than the Maxx, but considering that they're both Motorola phones, I don't think they would be too far apart.

Personally, I'm counting the days until I can upgrade to the Maxx in March. Unless, of course, something more awesome rolls around before then ...
    CR6 likes this.
    10-20-2013 09:53 PM
    Post cleared, referred to a deleted post.
    10-20-2013 09:55 PM
    Welcome to the forum! B.Diddy pretty much said it all. Good luck with your new device!

tap'n
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-20-2013 09:56 PM
    I prefer the Moto X over the Droid Maxx.I like pocketable phones. The vzw Moto x comes with what I consider to be 13 type bloatware apps(Apps I do not use).It has no lag,great battery life.I avg 26 hrs with 3 1/2 hours screen on time.Its true that its only got 16GB of internal storage tho but so far hasnt been an issue for me. I dont really put alot of songs on my phone tho, and do have the option to use up to 50 GB for free off Google Drive.I think vzw is suppose to come out with a 32 gb version sometime this Holiday season.
    I guess it depends on what you planing on using your phone for and what size of a phone you want. As how much bloatware that comes on the Maxx I cant say as I dont have one .
    I do like the Touchless control and the Active notifications the Moto X uses.It does not have a notification light ,instead uses active notification .
    Ry likes this.
    10-20-2013 11:17 PM
    If you don't care for the thread, then just move on. If you believe a post is inappropriate, then feel free to report it. Complaining about another member by posting in the thread is inappropriate.

Thread has been cleaned up.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    jephanie and gadgetman#CB like this.
    10-20-2013 11:58 PM
    Also is there a disadvantage to buying one on Amazon as opposed to one of the two carriers?
    If I know I'm going to have to change my plan, I deal directly with the carrier. That's how I bought my Moto X. I knew I'd be losing unlimited, but I didn't want any of the plans Verizon was offering. I ended up getting a plan which is a 40% discount on Verizon's regular rates. I pay the same as I'd pay with T-Mobile for an equivalent plan, except I don't have the monthly phone payment I'd have with T-Mobile. So I guess I actually pay less than what I'd be paying with T-Mobile, except I'm locked into a contract. I'm fine with that, though, as the coverage I have with Verizon and the fact that they can't change the rate on me for the next two years are worth the trade off.

But if you're not going to change your plan, then it doesn't matter if you buy your phone from Amazon.

As for the Maxx versus the Moto X, they're both basically the same phone except for form factor. The Maxx also comes with Droid Zapp, an invitation to the battery draining game known as Ingress, and 6(?) months of Google Play All Access.
    10-21-2013 02:03 AM
    Thanks for that information. Amazon seems like a no brainer to me. Especially if you're buying two phones. I'm sure I'm missing something but I ain't figured it out yet.
    10-21-2013 06:54 PM
    How did you get 40% off? I can't even get ATT do waive the upgrade fee and we been with 'em since they were Southwestern Bell.
    10-21-2013 06:57 PM
    How did you get 40% off?
    I had been asking for a while about my ETF because I was considering switching to T-Mobile. When I called again to ask about my ETF, the rep offered me a loyalty plan based on my credit and history with Verizon. I've been with Verizon for eight years, which I know isn't that long. I took it because it was a good deal.
    10-21-2013 07:48 PM
    Isn't the X only considered a mid range device?
    10-21-2013 08:56 PM
    LOL! Don't go there.
    fierro951, UJ95x, davidnc and 1 others like this.
    10-21-2013 08:57 PM
    Not at all.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    davidnc likes this.
    10-21-2013 11:05 PM
    Like B. Diddy said, I'd recommend going to Costco and getting your X from there if you're moving to Verizon. Went there a few days ago and they said they sell the phones for half the price what the carriers do (On contract)
    10-22-2013 12:07 AM
    Motorola x at Costco is same price as vzw. You get the bundle too. That's the only difference.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-22-2013 12:33 AM
    Motorola x at Costco is same price as vzw. You get the bundle too. That's the only difference.

Actually, its $99 at Costco. $199 on Vzw.com

Posted via Android Central App with my Galaxy Note 10.1
    Has anyone seen my stylus?
    UJ95x and rayden8 like this.
    10-22-2013 01:39 AM
    Got them to waive $600+ dollara off my moms phone bill one time. She was with cingular back when they started with pagers and flip phones with that goofy calculator screen. Both of which she had. I have never had to pay an upgrade fee ever. I'm not gonna pay those assholes for an upgrade that they say I'm entitled to.

SSgS|||_2_DroidCentral
    10-22-2013 02:31 AM
    You can also get the Moto X for $100 at Costco.
    UJ95x likes this.
    10-22-2013 09:29 AM

It's $99 at Costco, $199 at Verizon

10-22-2013 11:47 AM
    I'm not sure if it's worth noting that Amazon's terms and condition allow them to charge an extra termination fee if you cancel service or move the phone off of that line within a specific time period, I believe it's 6 months for them. If you're a phone hopper, that could suck. Otherwise, it's invisible to most people as they typically go longer than 6 months before upgrading or swapping.
    10-22-2013 07:39 PM