couple of questions for the moto x users

ddorbuck

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
hey guys, I finally pulled the trigger and have a 32 gig Navy/black ATT moto x being built and shipped to me. This is my first android phone since I have been an iphone user forever.
I have a few questions and hopefully I can get a few recomendations. What is everyone's favorite podcast playback/streaming app?
I'm also a big internet radio users and currently use a ios app called OOtunes. Anything on the android platform worthy for internet radio streaming?
I also liked the navigon gps turn by turn app on IOS, I see they have a android version but the reviews seem not so good. Is the built in google maps with turn by turn the best for android? Is doubletwist worth the trouble syncing itunes music with the droids?

And final question which is for the little wife, I see the that android as a whole is missing a few family apps such as the tivo app for streaming live (or sudo live) tv and recorded shows to the android device and the watch Disney app which also streams live tv also seems to be vacant from the google play store. Is this indicative of the android rooting community and hollywood not wanted or trusting the android platform for copyright material? I see netflix just released a new android version so hopefully the winds are changing?

Thanks for any info and I hope to get this phone soon. Seems to be taking forever ! ;>

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
For navigation, either Google navigate or Telenav's Scout work well but they are not off line maps. I prefer Scout but the Google navigate works well with touch less control

The previous poster summed it up for music apps.

Note for kids videos, the only thing I have not been able to get is the PBS kids app that has all the videos clips. Netflix works well. If you have Sprint, they have their own TV app which is OK. I think you can even steam Amazon instant video if you install Flash and use the Dolphin web browser (and you need jellybean or higher). there is also hulu plus you can watch as well.

Now, you can do what my cousin did and got a sling box and got his home tv anywhere he goes.

Also if you have Verizon you may be able to watch your FiOS (if you have it) on the go. I may be wrong.

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
What is everyone's favorite podcast playback/streaming app?

I use Pocket Casts.

I'm also a big internet radio users and currently use a ios app called OOtunes. Anything on the android platform worthy for internet radio streaming?

The usual suspects are available - Slacker, Pandora, Rdio, etc. Personally, I subscribe to Google Play Music All Access. .

I also liked the navigon gps turn by turn app on IOS, I see they have a android version but the reviews seem not so good. Is the built in google maps with turn by turn the best for android?

Unless you have the need for more offline capability, I don't see why anyone would use anything other that Google Maps Navigation on an Android device.

Is doubletwist worth the trouble syncing itunes music with the droids?

IMO, no. I would just point Google Music Manager to your iTunes library.

(Note: Moto X is a Motorola Android phone. These are the DROIDs. Sorry. Pet peve of mine.)

And final question which is for the little wife, I see the that android as a whole is missing a few family apps such as the tivo app for streaming live (or sudo live) tv and recorded shows to the android device and the watch Disney app which also streams live tv also seems to be vacant from the google play store. Is this indicative of the android rooting community and hollywood not wanted or trusting the android platform for copyright material? I see netflix just released a new android version so hopefully the winds are changing?

Rooting and hacking are excuses the content providers may give when asked about Android support. Support many different devices is also another reason. It's also not unheard of for a content provider to block access to their app if they detect you're rooted.

PDT816

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Another Pocket Casts user here. I've also used iPP and it works just as well, just not as polished of an GUI.

iHeart and TuneIn radio

Pretty sure a third party created the iPhone/TiVo functionality for Stream. TiVo has been allowing people to believe that an Android version is on the way for forever, but I'm not holding my breath. I would also assume it's more about TiVo's choice about where to spend resources with the new TiVo coming out more than anything else.

Convert2

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I also liked the navigon gps turn by turn app on IOS, I see they have a android version but the reviews seem not so good. Is the built in google maps with turn by turn the best for android? ;>
I prefer Waze for navigation, it reroutes quickly when crap happens.

c1dpe

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I suggest that you take a look at iSyncr and their Rocket player for sync, manage and ply your itunes music on your new phone. I have been using it for over a year and love it.