So a big caveat here — I'm not quite sure how pre-production this unit is. It's the one Motorola had us design in Moto Maker a few weeks before you could actually purchase one.

But as you can see, my corners are all going yellow.

How's everyone's retail units holding up? Any issues?

Attached Thumbnails -motox-corners.jpg  
    10-23-2013 03:49 PM
    With the way I wear off numbers, etc on all my remotes and other gadgets, this scares me a little. Hard to believe that Motorola would not mold colored plastic for the retail units.
    10-23-2013 04:05 PM
    If this happens w/n a certain time, will they replace it? It has my attention now!
    10-23-2013 06:53 PM
    If this happens w/n a certain time, will they replace it? It has my attention now!
    To reiterate — I don't know if mine's representative, as it was NOT a retail device. That's why I'm asking here.
    Ry likes this.
    10-24-2013 08:01 AM
    From my understanding and finding as a Motorola rep. I was told that the colors are completely through the same. So if you have a blue back its blue through the whole thing and not just coated over another color.

Try using gasoline or some kind of strong liquid based cleaner and wipe the different color area

I've seen one case where rep used a leather pouch and the black from the leather pouch made the corners of the phone have a black border.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-24-2013 09:10 AM
    So a big caveat here I'm not quite sure how pre-production this unit is. It's the one Motorola had us design in Moto Maker a few weeks before you could actually purchase one.

But as you can see, my corners are all going yellow.

How's everyone's retail units holding up? Any issues?

http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites/...ox-corners.jpg
    Wow... I hope mine doesn't fade like that. I haven't had any fading but if I do than I will probably drop it and try to get new

10-24-2013 10:00 AM
    Phil - I have had the same color (except white front) since launch and mine looks like NEW still. Plus I do not use a case.

Going to tell you something you already know....but you can call Motorola and tell them what is going on with the back of your unit and they WILL replace it. Warranty..plus Moto is bending over backwards to make people happy.

My co-worker noticed some marks under the top of his screen...not very noticeable unless at certain angles or lighting. He called AT&T and they offered to replace immediately but with either a black or white unit. They said call Moto because he used Moto Maker and when he did they acknowledged the problem...provided the RMA/shipping label and once received, they emailed him a new design code within 12 hrs to customize a new phone..whatever he wanted. Did not require him to keep the same colors.

Hope this helps you or other folks.
    Ry and weksa like this.
    10-24-2013 11:12 AM
    Phil - I have had the same color (except white front) since launch and mine looks like NEW still. Plus I do not use a case.

Going to tell you something you already know....but you can call Motorola and tell them what is going on with the back of your unit and they WILL replace it. Warranty..plus Moto is bending over backwards to make people happy.

My co-worker noticed some marks under the top of his screen...not very noticeable unless at certain angles or lighting. He called AT&T and they offered to replace immediately but with either a black or white unit. They said call Moto because he used Moto Maker and when he did they acknowledged the problem...provided the RMA/shipping label and once received, they emailed him a new design code within 12 hrs to customize a new phone..whatever he wanted. Did not require him to keep the same colors.

Hope this helps you or other folks.
    Less worried about a replacement — again, Moto gave us this one to use — and just wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem for other folks.
    10-24-2013 04:28 PM
    Less worried about a replacement again, Moto gave us this one to use and just wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem for other folks.
    I was thinking that you got your moto when engraving was an option. I am not sure if you chose engraving because I do not see it in the pics. However, they could have fastened a different back than the others for the option of engraving, but maybe Motorola pulled the plug due to these side-affects?

10-24-2013 06:26 PM
    Two words -- Blue Sharpie

Yeah, that looks like normal wear from being in pants or jeans. But I'm sure Moto's retail units from Moto Maker are solid colors and the corners could be cleaned off with something. Just PLEASE don't use gasoline, turpentine, propane, or flex seal. Those will eat the crap out of coating on the back of the phone.
    10-24-2013 07:45 PM
    Two words -- Blue Sharpie

Yeah, that looks like normal wear from being in pants or jeans. But I'm sure Moto's retail units from Moto Maker are solid colors and the corners could be cleaned off with something. Just PLEASE don't use gasoline, turpentine, propane, or flex seal. Those will eat the crap out of coating on the back of the phone.
    A dab of some gas mixed with water shouldn't do too much negative damage.. Would get rid of the color stain though.

10-25-2013 12:52 AM
    A dab of some gas mixed with water shouldn't do too much negative damage.. Would get rid of the color stain though.

Depends if it's solid or painted. I wouldn't take the chance unless it was a last resort.
    10-25-2013 05:56 AM
    I might try a dab of a cleaning solution , if it bugged me enough to see the stain.
    At least with a dab you wouldnt really cause anymore damage til you found out if it helped or not.
    10-25-2013 06:10 AM
    Depends if it's solid or painted. I wouldn't take the chance unless it was a last resort.
    Pretty sure it'd a solid throughout and not painted. At least from what I was told from my superiors. There's not coating if you were to cut it in half the whole thing through the middle is one color.

10-25-2013 11:53 AM
    I was in the AT&T store yesterday and it was truly neat to see their display with all the color options for the Moto X, front, accents, and all the backs. They had the backs divided up into what may have been taken for girl colors and boy colors, lol. ...but it was impressive. It would take me a good minute to choose from all the possible options. It's a unique and neat way to personalize your phone, but I do wonder how resale is affected, you've got to find someone that not only wants your phone but likes the color combination you chose.

'13 NeXus 7
    10-25-2013 12:28 PM
    I guess if you staid kinda conserative on your color selections it would help on a resale ha. I didnt have that option on mine tho since it wasnt available with vzw .I probably would have went with a blue/black color not sure what on the accents
    10-25-2013 04:34 PM
    Looking at this thread - it doesn't look like many customized their Moto Xs.

Boo AT&T exclusivity.
    10-29-2013 01:58 PM
    Mine is in an otterbox commuter case so really can't comment on whether wearing off the color is a problem.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
    10-29-2013 02:29 PM
    a little dirty, like any phone.
    10-29-2013 06:04 PM
    a little dirty, like any phone.
    My case and screen protector get a little dust/dirt on them...my phone, because of them, stays clean.

from a '14 Note 10.1
    10-29-2013 07:45 PM
    Mine in starting to show similar signs of wear. It is also starting to fade below the "M" dimple. I dont want to try any kind of tough cleaner unless im sure it wont ruin anything. Has anyone had success with refurbishing similar blemishes?
    01-24-2014 03:07 PM
    I use a case all the time, so I probably haven't been exposing my unit to as much wear as you have, but I haven't noticed this on my White/Chalk Moto Maker version. I've had it for about a month and have used it really heavily, and switch between cases pretty frequently.

Luckily, so far I really had any software or hardware problems with my unit.
    01-24-2014 04:40 PM
    Phil's problem goes to the reason I'll wander into a Best Buy before I spring for a cell phone purchase. Provided the display units are not mockups, it's a pretty good way to see how well the materials are going to wear. Dozens of folks pawing the thing day after day after day gives you a fair idea how it's going to look and hold up after a couple of years
    01-25-2014 12:31 AM
    Got the navy blue. No signs of wear after two months.
    01-25-2014 11:13 AM