windy day ..augmented reality app by motorola for moto x

roadrat

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Some orange hat blew by my screen this morning, I thought it was a virus and freaked out. Clicked it and it went to "Motorola Spotlight" app (whatever that is), so I promptly uninstalled that app.

This is the kind of manufacturer bloat that draws people to the Nexus devices. I thought the Moto X offered a pseudo-Nexus experience, but having this distracting app thing pushed to my phone changed my thoughts on the matter. Hope Moto doesn't pull any more of this crap in the future.

Bleh. It was fun.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Panther353

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
It's an app to demo the phones capability. You need to read the article Moto published. It's not manufacturer bloat.

Some orange hat blew by my screen this morning, I thought it was a virus and freaked out. Clicked it and it went to "Motorola Spotlight" app (whatever that is), so I promptly uninstalled that app.

This is the kind of manufacturer bloat that draws people to the Nexus devices. I thought the Moto X offered a pseudo-Nexus experience, but having this distracting app thing pushed to my phone changed my thoughts on the matter. Hope Moto doesn't pull any more of this crap in the future.

Camilo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
For what it's worth, the Spotlight app can be uninstalled, I think.

I went to play store and searched for the motorola spotlight player - it came up when I searched for "Windy day" too. It showed it installed for me, and when I opened it, it gave me an option to uninstall. I haven't installed it so I don't know for sure.

When you go to the settings on the spotlight widget, I don't believe it gives you an option for uninstalling, but I could be wrong.

sunburned

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I've had the hat in my notification bar for a day or two now and it wouldn't go away. Today the hat starts floating around on the screen and I clicked on it, taking me to the video. The controls were actually awesome. Every single way I turned, or rotated the phone, the video followed. You can look around basically all 3 dimensions and 360 degrees. I'd compare it to Google Sky, but the controls were much smoother and moved exactly where I did the entire time. I was in my office chair and rotating the chair around, and the screen followed in a very lifelike manner. I quit the movie earlier, but it was pretty cool to see.

And no it's not bloat, you can uninstall it whenever you want. Reminded me of the squirrel from Ice Age trying to get the acorn.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
This doesn't look like one time thing ..they will be more videos in future ..and ultimately I think moto wants to have a repository of interactional videos made from content creators/ studios ..once they have enough videos and traction I see them going paid on this service ..essentially its a new way one could tell you a story and immerse you in the content

Posted via Android Central App

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
For what it's worth, the Spotlight app can be uninstalled, I think.

I went to play store and searched for the motorola spotlight player - it came up when I searched for "Windy day" too. It showed it installed for me, and when I opened it, it gave me an option to uninstall. I haven't installed it so I don't know for sure.

When you go to the settings on the spotlight widget, I don't believe it gives you an option for uninstalling, but I could be wrong.

Yes you can uninstall, but then you have to disable it as well. Personally I see no reason to add any data to my device with this garbage

ugggh

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
How were you able to quit the video? Once I launched it, it wouldn't let me exit until I held down the power button and rebooted.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I thought it was a cute little Pixar cartoon that let you look around more freely than just at the frame you are intended to see in a traditional format cartoon.

Pointless? Sure.

Something to be appreciated by all? No.

Did I think it was a nice little distraction that let me enjoy my X in a different way for a few moments? Absolutely.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree it was something different .lol Be interesting to see what the next flix has.
Kinda funny first he wanted hat then he didnt

sent from Moto X

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I thought it was a cute little Pixar cartoon that let you look around more freely than just at the frame you are intended to see in a traditional format cartoon.

Pointless? Sure.

Something to be appreciated by all? No.

Did I think it was a nice little distraction that let me enjoy my X in a different way for a few moments? Absolutely.

Those that don't appreciate it should at least acknowledge this app is unique in both idea and execution.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app