12-01-2013 10:18 AM
101 12345
tools
    I will be 72 on 11/11. You are certainly not too old! I left the iPhone after the 3GS and went to a Galaxy and now the Moto-X. Android is not difficult to use no matter what you used before. The Moto-X is jsut as easy to use as an iPhone and I like Android better than the apple products. I, too, started with a bag phone back in the 80's and I think the X is the best phone I have owned.
    Happy Birthday! (I know it's early)
    10-28-2013 10:58 AM
    Good Morning!

I am a 59 year male (old school) that has been using IPhones since day one. Actually, used to use a Motorola bag phone back in the day. Anyway, I am intrigued with the android phones. I currently use the IPhone 4S but would really like to make a change. I primarily use my phone to talk, listen to music (Sirius, Pandora, Spotify) when I run/workout and also Bluetooth in the car. Will use the internet for driving instructions and just normal web surfing.

My question is am I too old to make the switch and should I just stick to the easy to use IPhones? If not, of the androids, would the Moto X be my choice? As you can see, my use of the phone is very simple. Don't need a lot of bells an whistles. But would like to try a new position (lol).

Any comments or suggestions would be most appreciated!!
    Rubbish! Never too old for a change!!! If I can handle and enjoy Android, I'm sure you can! (Not divulging my age :-) )

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    jroc likes this.
    10-28-2013 11:02 AM
    not even. My husband was 58 when he switched from iphone 4s to android, first with the motorola razor maxx and now the note 2 and he has never regretted. The apps are the same and we set his phone up the same as his iphone and the learning curve was minimal
    msndrstood and jroc like this.
    10-28-2013 12:21 PM
    I just purchased the Moto X and I'm 47 years young!!! I was the same way, used Motorola in the beginning and switched to Apple. Don't think of it as a mountain to climb, think of it as an adventure to enjoy! I'm learning the phone and everything Android has to offer. I look at it like this: Apple brought Alexander Bell to the 21st Century but tied him to a chair and made him watch. Android cut Alexander Bell loose and let him run wild! Enjoy the ride and show all the young folk that old dogs can learn new tricks! We just don't do it as fast and work smarter, not harder! :-)
    Westiemom, Golfdriver97 and jroc like this.
    10-28-2013 12:47 PM
    My mother is 73 and switched from an iPhone to a android. She's about as technology adverse as it gets and she had a fairly easy transition.

I don't think you could pry it away from her now

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
    Westiemom likes this.
    10-28-2013 01:17 PM
    I just purchased the Moto X and I'm 47 years young!!! I was the same way, used Motorola in the beginning and switched to Apple. Don't think of it as a mountain to climb, think of it as an adventure to enjoy! I'm learning the phone and everything Android has to offer. I look at it like this: Apple brought Alexander Bell to the 21st Century but tied him to a chair and made him watch. Android cut Alexander Bell loose and let him run wild! Enjoy the ride and show all the young folk that old dogs can learn new tricks! We just don't do it as fast and work smarter, not harder! :-)
    Didn't you know 47 is the new 27? :rolleyes: You're hardly old! Prime of life youngster!

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app
    10-28-2013 01:53 PM
    maybe too old for Android but not too young to fall in love.

KevLar72 likes this.
    10-28-2013 03:54 PM
    My first android device was a nexus 7 tablet. I continued to use my iPhone 4. I guess the ability to mess around with android on the nexus 7 made the transition to a android phone easier, for me, b/c i didnt have to deal with the anxiety , frustration of having to learn a new OS b/c my ability to use a phone depended on it. Im pretty sure taking this route made it easier for me to transition to a nexus 4 phone after i sold my iPhone.
    10-28-2013 03:55 PM
    I agree so much with those saying never being too old...for any thing. Well some things....lol.

Android can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be. Thats one of the beauties of it. I can tell you this: after using the old Win Mo in 2008, 2009 and Android from 2009 and 2010, when I first tried an iPhone in 2010 I was completely lost.

Strangely enough, I picked up Android alot easier, faster vs the iPhone. The old Win Mo and Android has alot of things in common, especially the settings areas.

So I dont think its an ease of use issue. The thread topic had me intrigued...I thought the OP was a Blackberry user...lol. Whether its a Moto X or Samsung whatever or HTC whatnot, once you get past the learning curve, it should be a piece of cake. Just remember Android can be as simple or as complex as you want, its all up to you. I am a lil more comfortable with an iPhone now....it was more culture shock than anything.

Same with going from Windows to OS X, or Windows to Linux, vice versa, etc.
    10-28-2013 08:00 PM
    There are no phones that are "too difficult to use" just because of your age. They are all pretty simple and intuitive enough for anyone to figure out. I am 56 and I do use iPhone, Android and BlackBerry.

While Android is easy and the choice of phones is by far better than with any other OS, I find that Android has way too much available on their phones and I end up not using 80% of the features. That may not make a difference to you. To me it feels like driving a Porsche and not ever taking it past 40 mph.

After using iPhones, BlackBerry and Android for years, I have found that iPhone is the simplest and most straight forward system available. No bells or whistles and it's relatively your "basic phone" of today.
    10-28-2013 08:04 PM
    There are no phones that are "too difficult to use" just because of your age. They are all pretty simple and intuitive enough for anyone to figure out. I am 56 and I do use iPhone, Android and BlackBerry.

While Android is easy and the choice of phones is by far better than with any other OS, I find that Android has way too much available on their phones and I end up not using 80% of the features. That may not make a difference to you. To me it feels like driving a Porsche and not ever taking it past 40 mph.

After using iPhones, BlackBerry and Android for years, I have found that iPhone is the simplest and most straight forward system available. No bells or whistles and it's relatively your "basic phone" of today.
    So have a Porsche I can't go full speed on or have a minivan I can drive as fast as possible? I'll still take the Porsche

Posted via Android Central App
    petaf likes this.
    10-28-2013 08:54 PM
    So have a Porsche I can't go full speed on or have a minivan I can drive as fast as possible? I'll still take the Porsche

Besides, this Porsche can transform into a minivan when it wants with a pretty well known app called Espier Launcher or Espier Launcher IOS7.
    bigdaddytee likes this.
    10-28-2013 09:07 PM

I think I need help trying to teach my 60yo dad because he only knows what an on and off button is. He haves no clue how to check his email address that my cousin set him up with. Having him to learn and know how to browse the internet will be a huge breakthrough.

10-28-2013 09:16 PM
    Besides, this Porsche can transform into a minivan when it wants with a pretty well known app called Espier Launcher or Espier Launcher IOS7.
    Just tried that launcher, didn't like it XD
    Any iOS-based ROMs? O_o
    10-28-2013 10:20 PM
    Not sure if that was a serious question or if you were just being facetious, but you're not going to find an iOS based Roms. Your best bet, if you're looking to turn your Android into an iPhone, is download Apex or Nova Launcher and then download an iOS7 theme. All avail in the Play Store. Good luck and hang in there! The quickest way to learn your device is to spend time exploring. Go through all the menus, settings, etc and experiment.. Before you you know it, you'll be a pro!
    As others have mentioned....you're never to old to learn something new! :thumbup:

tap'n
    10-28-2013 10:34 PM
    Not sure if that was a serious question or if you were just being facetious, but you're not going to find an iOS based Roms. Your best bet, if you're looking to turn your Android into an iPhone, is download Apex or Nova Launcher and then download an iOS7 theme. All avail in the Play Store. Good luck and hang in there! The quickest way to learn your device is to spend time exploring. Go through all the menus, settings, etc and experiment.. Before you you know it, you'll be a pro!
    As others have mentioned....you're never to old to learn something new! :thumbup:

tap'n
    I was joking XD I'd never run iOS on my phone
    I have no problems with Android, I only asked because he said "this Porsche can turn into a minivan" meaning that Android can turn into iOS, but the launcher only changes the home screen, not any of the UI or OS...
    CR6 likes this.
    10-28-2013 10:50 PM
    Good Morning!

I am a 59 year male (old school) that has been using IPhones since day one. Actually, used to use a Motorola bag phone back in the day. Anyway, I am intrigued with the android phones. I currently use the IPhone 4S but would really like to make a change. I primarily use my phone to talk, listen to music (Sirius, Pandora, Spotify) when I run/workout and also Bluetooth in the car. Will use the internet for driving instructions and just normal web surfing.

My question is am I too old to make the switch and should I just stick to the easy to use IPhones? If not, of the androids, would the Moto X be my choice? As you can see, my use of the phone is very simple. Don't need a lot of bells an whistles. But would like to try a new position (lol).

I'm of the opinion that if you're willing to learn new things, then you're not too old for an Android phone. I've got the Galaxy S3 and I love it with the Touchwiz stuff included in it. From what I read about the Moto X, it's a very nice phone. I have a feeling that this phone may just be a great fit for you coming from an Apple iPhone. I'm 45 and I've tried just about all of the different OS's that have been on smartphones. Started out with Microsoft Windows Phone (version 6.x) in 2007, went to Blackberry (4.5 through 6.0) from 2009 until 2012 and been with Android phones since then. I also have an iPod Touch that I keep around for my nephew to play with after I started with Android phones and tablets. From my personal experience, the Android OS has been as close to perfect that I have had in a smartphone.

By the way, my dad and I got my mom a Kindle Fire HD so that she can play games and read e-books this past summer and she absolutely loves it. She just retired at 69 and is taking to the Android 4.x OS system on the tablet like a fish to water. I was a bit concerned because she's one of those that really did love to read actual paperback books over e-books. Once she got the hang of how to use the tablet and download e-books, she reads e-books more than paperback books. If she can do it, I'm sure that you can make the switch to an Android phone.
    CR6 and jroc like this.
    10-28-2013 10:50 PM
    I could never understand why that if apple devices are so intuitive that a 3yr old could use it.. Then why do they have classes to show you how to use their devices ?
    Moronic ?

"so intuitive that even a two-year-old can use it."
    Best iPad Apps for Senior Citizens

Ipad classes ?
    Apple Retail Store - Workshops

And ...
    You are definitely NOT too old to learn Android !
    tooter123 and CR6 like this.
    10-28-2013 11:46 PM
    I'm 52 and as per Jethro Tull..."you're never to old to rock and roll if you're too young to die". I would suspect that the same is true for Android. Just sayin'

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Aquila likes this.
    10-29-2013 12:23 AM
    Good Morning!

I do not think there is a "too old for Android" age. Android is more customizable than iOS, and that can make it more complicated. In earlier versions of Android, you really needed to take advantage of this customizability just to make phones usable, and that gave Android a reputation as a complicated OS. Much of that is gone now though. The Android of today can be nearly as easy to use as iOS and give you the added benefit of some additional functionality. I do not think you'd have a problem. I think the Moto X is an excellent phone and a terrific choice for an iOS convert. The HTC One is another terrific phone you should consider and take a look at. Personally, I'm not a fan of the Samsung Galaxy S4, but lots of people love it so its probably worth a look as well.

Now, if your really interested in getting the pure Android experience, the Google Nexus 5 should be available in the next few weeks. It a little more expensive up front because you are buying it off contract (should be about $350), but you can end up saving money over the long run because you can switch to a prepaid plan that is cheaper for the same service.
    10-29-2013 07:30 AM
    Good Morning!

I never think anyone is too old, as long as they are willing to learn just a little and break away from the one thing they know.

Obviously, you are fairly tech savvy, and are willing to go looking for help, so I would say you are perfect to make the jump. My mom has been android, and while she likes the ease of the iPhone sometimes, she hates the small screen, as it is harder for her to read. I would say play with them at the store, and what fits your hand, and the right balance in size. I would stay newer, so that you get the benefits of the newer phone, and if you buy on contract, it doesn't become outdated too fast.

I would say look at the Samsung Galaxy S4, or LG G2, Moto X is nice too, and my brother in law likes his. The Nexus phones are nice, but I think you might benefit from having the skin of Samsung or LG, etc over the Android operating system.

They are all pretty easy to work with, and to get set up with what you need. Compared to how android was back in early days, it is super easy. I think you will love the change, and be pleased with anything that you get.

Welcome to the community, and never hesitate to ask for help with your new phone.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    10-29-2013 11:12 AM
    My first experience in trying to get my dad to use a cellphone was interesting...he put it up to his ear and asked "why don't I have a dialtone?"...But of course, he couldn't understand why you didn't have to rewind a DVD when those came out to replace the VHS tapes...lol...true stuff
    msndrstood, CR6, Westiemom and 3 others like this.
    10-29-2013 04:23 PM
    Well I did it!! Went to the ATT store and worked out all the details concerning that were concerning me and just ordered my Moto X 32g woven black front and back with silver accents through the Moto Maker website. Should be here in 5 days. Looking forward to the new challenge of Android. Hoping once I go Android I will never look back to IOS. Again, many thanks for all the support here. Sure I will be asking lots of questions once I receive it next week.
    rdubmu, KevLar72, davidnc and 5 others like this.
    10-30-2013 10:41 PM
    Well I did it!! Went to the ATT store and worked out all the details concerning that were concerning me and just ordered my Moto X 32g woven black front and back with silver accents through the Moto Maker website. Should be here in 5 days. Looking forward to the new challenge of Android. Hoping once I go Android I will never look back to IOS. Again, many thanks for all the support here. Sure I will be asking lots of questions once I receive it next week.
    I think you should enjoy it. Don't be afraid to switch in the future. Technology works very fast. At one time Windows mobile and Blackberry dominated,than apple, now android. In 5 years who knows what will be #1. Could be Windows Phone, could be an unannounced OS from a company that isnt in the game yet, or a start over (like winmo to win phone)

Sent from my LG-D801 using AC Forums mobile app
    Westiemom and jroc like this.
    10-30-2013 11:26 PM
    Congrats time! I'm sure you'll enjoy your new device!

tap'n
    10-31-2013 10:52 AM
101 12345