Too Old For Android.

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Unbelievable! Just got back to the house and found all these wonderful comments. I am blown away at the interest in my post. Will be out of town for a couple of days but when I get back, I am going to the ATT store to test drive the Moto X. You all have given me the confidence to try it. This is a wonderful forum with great people taking the time to help. Really means a lot in this day and time. I will let you know what happens. Many thanks again!!!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Unbelievable! Just got back to the house and found all these wonderful comments. I am blown away at the interest in my post. Will be out of town for a couple of days but when I get back, I am going to the ATT store to test drive the Moto X. You all have given me the confidence to try it. This is a wonderful forum with great people taking the time to help. Really means a lot in this day and time. I will let you know what happens. Many thanks again!!!

Getting to the Trending Now list helps with many responses. :)

I think the biggest thing to keep in mind is what is called the learning curve; basically, the time it takes to get used to a new thing. Other than that, the X is a pretty simple device compared to what else is out there.

Feel free to post back what you think of the device, and obviously any questions. Someone is always around to help. It may even be me....I am almost always connected. :D

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
My father is 66 and has a motox and before that a thunder bolt. If your willing to read and learn then you can use android. My dad comes and tells me some new things with android I did t even know sometimes.

I hope you take the plunge. You won't be disappointed.

Posted via Android Central App

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Just wondering why you think the G2 would offer the maximum Android experience?

Boss and I both share a love for LG phones it seems. LG's interface is there, but its subtle. Not in your face like samsung's TW.
The G2 has a beautiful display, easy to hold, not too complicated, but still has some great features.
5.2" is great for those that want a bigger screen without going to a 6+ inch screen like HTC One max, Mega etc.

Moto X

George Jenkinson

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Welcome!

Don't think that you're too old to swap, sometimes the change is just what is needed!

You didn't mention whether the size of the phone is important, and if so, whether you want to stick to iPhone sizes? Assuming you wouldn't rule out something a little larger, I would suggest a couple of phones, one android and the other a windows phone.

For android, I would suggest waiting for the new Nexus 5, it should be a good phone when it is released - date not yet confirmed. If you want to keep the phone to a similar size to Apple's, then a mid-range Samsung like the S4 mini might meet your needs. I've not used this phone, so can't comment on its pros/cons.

As an alternative, I would also recommend a Windows phone. Having a Lumia 920, I know the call quality is very good and it has free Nokia Drive and Maps built in, which you can download so you won't even need to use your internet allowance. There's also full Word, Excel etc so if you use an office pc, it ought to sync easily. Camera is also of good quality. In regard to size, there are several (almost too many) in the range to choose from, so you should find one that meets your criterion.

Hope these help.

dakeb

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
my technophobe wife is in her fifties and has always use an old simple Nokia phone with a keypad.She only used it for voice calls and text messages. She was gutted and scared when it finally broke.

I bought her a Samsung galaxy S4 mini, set it up in basic mode, and now she loves it.

She has ventured into the internet and messaging via whatsapp. She can't put it down now.

She would never go back.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering why you think the G2 would offer the maximum Android experience?

Oh noooo, you've asked me to elaborate on my "fav subject"...lol ok, i'll try to be brief!

well, there's about 500 of my vids on my channel that easily substantiate my claim, every single User review i read is close to 5 stars (and i'm talking hundreds- yes, i am obsessed!) in addition to having used just about every other phone that ever existed and never finding one that could come close to this lag-free quality Android experience the LG G2 delivers, , but the short answer is, its the perfect blend of speed, portability, style, size, features, price, ease of use, high quality camera, ENDLESS battery life, internal storage, wireless storage etc etc etc
kiss.png

BTC

romdude

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
So you've decided to try a Moto X, that was the next thing I wanted to get, I ended up getting an HTC One for the big, bright and sharp screen, blinkfeed (if you configure it, it can show news you like, your twitter and facebook updates) and front speakers (great so don't have to cup your hands to hear some videos). Anyway, the reason why a Moto X is good for you is that it is the only phone at the moment that can remain on and always listen to google now (siri like) commands without you touching or turning on the phone. It is a battery saver and simple to use. But if you are having a hard time with the interface, there is Espier Launcher and Espier Launcher IOS 7, it will let you use your android phone like your iphone until you are ready to move on to the android interface. Just use youtube for videos on how to use things like how to use Google Now. Also, here is a simple guide I found that would help you explain the difference:

Jumping Ship from iPhone to Android: A Switcher's Guide

Good luck.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Lots of good information here. You can hardly go wrong with any of the newer ATT phones.

FWIW, I'm 60 and have been using Android phones since the HTC Hero, about 4 years I believe. IMO your best bet is the Moto X or LG G2. Samsung and HTC phones are also excellent but they pile on more of their customizations than Motorola and LG. They may be a bit overwhelming with all the choices. Moto and LG are more basic Android. The differences, Moto X is a bit smaller with an excellent feel and form factor; LG has a larger, better screen. You won't go wrong with either. Each of the screens will be a huge improvement over your iPhone.

I personally have the LG Nexus 4 and plan on getting the N5 in a few days. These are also excellent but only make sense if you are not on a carrier service contract ( you want prepaid or TMobile simple choice instead). If you want to remain on an ATT contract you are better off getting one of the subsidized phones for much less.

Strawdawg

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I will be 72 on 11/11. You are certainly not too old! I left the iPhone after the 3GS and went to a Galaxy and now the Moto-X. Android is not difficult to use no matter what you used before. The Moto-X is jsut as easy to use as an iPhone and I like Android better than the apple products. I, too, started with a bag phone back in the 80's and I think the X is the best phone I have owned.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I will be 72 on 11/11. You are certainly not too old! I left the iPhone after the 3GS and went to a Galaxy and now the Moto-X. Android is not difficult to use no matter what you used before. The Moto-X is jsut as easy to use as an iPhone and I like Android better than the apple products. I, too, started with a bag phone back in the 80's and I think the X is the best phone I have owned.

Happy Birthday! (I know it's early)

petaf

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Good Morning!

I am a 59 year male (old school) that has been using IPhones since day one. Actually, used to use a Motorola bag phone back in the day. Anyway, I am intrigued with the android phones. I currently use the IPhone 4S but would really like to make a change. I primarily use my phone to talk, listen to music (Sirius, Pandora, Spotify) when I run/workout and also Bluetooth in the car. Will use the internet for driving instructions and just normal web surfing.

My question is am I too old to make the switch and should I just stick to the easy to use IPhones? If not, of the androids, would the Moto X be my choice? As you can see, my use of the phone is very simple. Don't need a lot of bells an whistles. But would like to try a new position (lol).

Any comments or suggestions would be most appreciated!!

Rubbish! Never too old for a change!!! If I can handle and enjoy Android, I'm sure you can! (Not divulging my age :) )

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

pammydd

May 5, 2012
Visit site
not even. My husband was 58 when he switched from iphone 4s to android, first with the motorola razor maxx and now the note 2 and he has never regretted. The apps are the same and we set his phone up the same as his iphone and the learning curve was minimal

allen1466

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I just purchased the Moto X and I'm 47 years young!!! I was the same way, used Motorola in the beginning and switched to Apple. Don't think of it as a mountain to climb, think of it as an adventure to enjoy! I'm learning the phone and everything Android has to offer. I look at it like this: Apple brought Alexander Bell to the 21st Century but tied him to a chair and made him watch. Android cut Alexander Bell loose and let him run wild! Enjoy the ride and show all the young folk that old dogs can learn new tricks! We just don't do it as fast and work smarter, not harder! :)

PDT816

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
My mother is 73 and switched from an iPhone to a android. She's about as technology adverse as it gets and she had a fairly easy transition.

I don't think you could pry it away from her now

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I just purchased the Moto X and I'm 47 years young!!! I was the same way, used Motorola in the beginning and switched to Apple. Don't think of it as a mountain to climb, think of it as an adventure to enjoy! I'm learning the phone and everything Android has to offer. I look at it like this: Apple brought Alexander Bell to the 21st Century but tied him to a chair and made him watch. Android cut Alexander Bell loose and let him run wild! Enjoy the ride and show all the young folk that old dogs can learn new tricks! We just don't do it as fast and work smarter, not harder! :)

Didn't you know 47 is the new 27? :rolleyes: You're hardly old! Prime of life youngster!

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
My first android device was a nexus 7 tablet. I continued to use my iPhone 4. I guess the ability to mess around with android on the nexus 7 made the transition to a android phone easier, for me, b/c i didnt have to deal with the anxiety , frustration of having to learn a new OS b/c my ability to use a phone depended on it. Im pretty sure taking this route made it easier for me to transition to a nexus 4 phone after i sold my iPhone.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I agree so much with those saying never being too old...for any thing. Well some things....lol.

Android can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be. Thats one of the beauties of it. I can tell you this: after using the old Win Mo in 2008, 2009 and Android from 2009 and 2010, when I first tried an iPhone in 2010 I was completely lost.

Strangely enough, I picked up Android alot easier, faster vs the iPhone. The old Win Mo and Android has alot of things in common, especially the settings areas.

So I dont think its an ease of use issue. The thread topic had me intrigued...I thought the OP was a Blackberry user...lol. Whether its a Moto X or Samsung whatever or HTC whatnot, once you get past the learning curve, it should be a piece of cake. Just remember Android can be as simple or as complex as you want, its all up to you. I am a lil more comfortable with an iPhone now....it was more culture shock than anything.

Same with going from Windows to OS X, or Windows to Linux, vice versa, etc.

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
There are no phones that are "too difficult to use" just because of your age. They are all pretty simple and intuitive enough for anyone to figure out. I am 56 and I do use iPhone, Android and BlackBerry.

While Android is easy and the choice of phones is by far better than with any other OS, I find that Android has way too much available on their phones and I end up not using 80% of the features. That may not make a difference to you. To me it feels like driving a Porsche and not ever taking it past 40 mph.

After using iPhones, BlackBerry and Android for years, I have found that iPhone is the simplest and most straight forward system available. No bells or whistles and it's relatively your "basic phone" of today.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech