Drive assist

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Got this to work...I think. I turned off my BT device and now when I get a text the Moto X announces something like: "Joe has sent a text message, please say listen to hear the text message". So then I say listen, and after that it asks if I want to send a reply that I"m driving. Is that how it's supposed to work? Kinda defeats the purpose of not interacting with your phone while driving.IMO

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Yea there's definitely an issue with the drive assist feature. Motorola has a thread on it on their support forums, so not unusual. However, if the way it's supposed to work is how I described a couple of posts up, then I'm not too keen on even using it anyway...seems like it's more dangerous than not using it at all.

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Got this to work...I think. I turned off my BT device and now when I get a text the Moto X announces something like: "Joe has sent a text message, please say listen to hear the text message". So then I say listen, and after that it asks if I want to send a reply that I"m driving. Is that how it's supposed to work? Kinda defeats the purpose of not interacting with your phone while driving.IMO

Yes, that is how it is supposed to work. You have to tell it to send the 'I'm driving.' message. At first I thought that was lame, but the more I think about it, I'm ok with it.

I know you said you don't do a lot of texting, but most of us probably do a fair share. I don't want it to automatically send a text to just anybody. What if my boss texts me thinking I'm at work but instead I'm heading to the golf course? :) Replace boss with wife.. same thing...

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes, that is how it is supposed to work. You have to tell it to send the 'I'm driving.' message. At first I thought that was lame, but the more I think about it, I'm ok with it.

I know you said you don't do a lot of texting, but most of us probably do a fair share. I don't want it to automatically send a text to just anybody. What if my boss texts me thinking I'm at work but instead I'm heading to the golf course? :) Replace boss with wife.. same thing...

LOL...hadn't thought of that! On further review, it's probably ok to be setup that way. If I'm listening to the radio, I don't hear the announcement that there is a text. But if it were to read it out without saying "listen", then I wouldn't hear it anyway! Kneejerk reaction maybe

purplehaze50o

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I finally was able to get my Drive Assist to work properly. For some reason I had the APP turned off in my application manager. Who knew lol Now it is an awesome feature.

Camilo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
When you say it works perfectly, what do you mean? Does it read a text without any intervention? Mine puts up some kind of screen asking me to say "listen now", which is totally defeats the purpose of a drive mode. I did look at the thread you linked. There is NO doubt that this drive assist is an issue with the Moto X. Hopefully they fix it with some kind of update....

Sorry for not answering sooner. When I say it works perfectly on my phone, I'm saying it's working as designed to. Maybe not "perfectly" depending on one's personal needs, but "perfectly" as it's designed. It's been a while since I got a text while driving, so my memory might not be totally accurate, but every interaction with a text or phone call is by voice; I don't need to look at or touch a screen. It lets me know who is calling and texting by voice; it reads me the text and asks me if I want to send a pre-written reply (which I believe can be edited in the Assist setup); it asks me if I wish to answer or ignore the phone call; if I answer the call, it goes automatically to speaker phone so I don't have to touch or mess with the phone at all. To me this maximizes safety and convenience and is "perfect" functionality, and it has worked as advertised from the get-go on my phone. Not saying others aren't having problems, but I didn't.

One thing that I think is excellent and critical to the overall "safety" aspect is that the driving mode activates automatically. I therefore never get into a situation where I'm distracted by a phone ringing or a text notificaiton and tempted to answer/look at it. Or, the sort of situation where I think of the Driving mode after I've started driving, so I'd be tempted to grab the phone and go through the process of activiting it. It's easy enough to disable if I'm in a car as a passenger (right up top in the pull down notifications screen).

I did have problems with the "resume music" setting. I believe it's intended to only come into play if you're listening to music when it (the music) is interrupted by the Assist notifying you of a call or text, and then resume the music when the interaction is done. On my phone, as soon as it detected I was driving, it would start playing music, and the song it played didn't have anything to do with any pattern I could detect. I disabled that feature, but haven't tried for about 3 weeks, so it might have been corrected in an update.

I like the "sleep" feature too, but haven't used the "meeting" feature at all.