Drive assist

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Since I got the Moto X I haven't paid much attention to the drive mode as I don't receive a ton of texts. But today I received a couple while driving and #1: it didn't read the message and #2: It doesn't appear that it replied that I was driving...should the reply show up in the messaging app? I am using Handcent, but it is not set as the default app. I'm not into the hassle of uninstalling handcent just to check on this, but anybody else with this type of experience? Not sure if the drive mode is doing what it is supposed to...

BrokenKid

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I've been confused about this too. The phone clearly shows it's in driving mode. But the couple texts I received did not get the automatic replies (I verified I had that option selected), and I didn't get any audio notification. I'm not sure if it's because my phone is paired to my car through BT?

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
So I used it a few days ago. It does not automatically send a text that you are driving. It will say (and I might not have the exact wording correct) "Text message from Joe Blow, do you want me to read it?" If I say yes it will read it. Afterwards it will say, "Do you want me to let Joe Blow know you are driving?" If I say yes, it will send the message and it will show up in my text message app.

Personally I think it's lame that I have to tell it to send the text. You may as well let me just dictate a reply.

Kamron Erani

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
So I used it a few days ago. It does not automatically send a text that you are driving. It will say (and I might not have the exact wording correct) "Text message from Joe Blow, do you want me to read it?" If I say yes it will read it. Afterwards it will say, "Do you want me to let Joe Blow know you are driving?" If I say yes, it will send the message and it will show up in my text message app.

Personally I think it's lame that I have to tell it to send the text. You may as well let me just dictate a reply.

What I do is I keep auto-reply off. When the phone is done reading the text I go ahead and say "Ok google now, text (sister) saying (thanks for the info) it will then ask me to press "Send Message" for some stupid reason (fix that google now!), anyways pushing one button is a lot better than typing a whole text while driving. I would say 95% of the time it got the message spot on, other times when the a/c was on max power it did get some words wrong, but nothing more than a mistaken autocorrect would do.

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
What I do is I keep auto-reply off. When the phone is done reading the text I go ahead and say "Ok google now, text (sister) saying (thanks for the info) it will then ask me to press "Send Message" for some stupid reason (fix that google now!), anyways pushing one button is a lot better than typing a whole text while driving. I would say 95% of the time it got the message spot on, other times when the a/c was on max power it did get some words wrong, but nothing more than a mistaken autocorrect would do.

Yeah, I was kinda hoping there was an option where it would just send the "I'm driving" reply with zero interaction. If the point of auto-reply is to limit my distraction, then auto-send it without distracting me. :) It's a minor quibble.

JZambrano

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I've used it since day one, and it's always worked fine for me. Reads them out and send the text.

Posted via Android Central App

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. It seems like the drive mode is pretty useless. What about it working with a 3rd party app like Handcent? Anybody experience that?

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. It seems like the drive mode is pretty useless. What about it working with a 3rd party app like Handcent? Anybody experience that?

Not sure how you got the impression it is useless. I think it works pretty well. It reads out my incomming texts and phone calls and lets me act on them automagically. I personally would just like an option for it to auto send a reply without me telling it to. Not a deal breaker at all.

I can't explain why your device was not even talking to you. You have to go into the Assist app and enable the 'Talk to me' option so it will actually talk to you while driving. I don't think it's on by default.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Not sure how you got the impression it is useless. I think it works pretty well. It reads out my incomming texts and phone calls and lets me act on them automagically. I personally would just like an option for it to auto send a reply without me telling it to. Not a deal breaker at all.

I can't explain why your device was not even talking to you. You have to go into the Assist app and enable the 'Talk to me' option so it will actually talk to you while driving. I don't think it's on by default.

I got the impression it's useless because it's not doing for me that you say it's doing for you. It doesn't read the message.. It asks me if I want to listen to the message. So there's an interaction that defeats the purpose of a drive mode to begin with. It also doesn't reply with a message that I'm driving and I do have that checked in the settings

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I got the impression it's useless because it's not doing for me that you say it's doing for you. It doesn't read the message.. It asks me if I want to listen to the message. So there's an interaction that defeats the purpose of a drive mode to begin with. It also doesn't reply with a message that I'm driving and I do have that checked in the settings

Cool. I totally see where you're coming from. Double check the Assist app is up-to-date. It has always asked me if I want to reply after I tell it to read me the message. Now I'm just using the stock messaging app, but I really wouldn't think that would matter.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Cool. I totally see where you're coming from. Double check the Assist app is up-to-date. It has always asked me if I want to reply after I tell it to read me the message. Now I'm just using the stock messaging app, but I really wouldn't think that would matter.

Yea I'm gonna reboot and ck it out next time I'm driving. I wouldn't think a 3rd party app should make a difference, as long as it's not set as the default app

mclaser

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I've never had this work right for me either. But, I always use a BT headset (and use Handsent). You might want to try My Motospeak. It's kind of big, and a little flaky, but I've used it with my last phone and this one. It's supposed to be for Motorola headsets but I think it works with others. You just don't have access to the advanced features. It speaks the message to you, dictates a new one, plays it back, and sends it, all without touching anything. ...don't know why Moto doesn't build in this function!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I've never had this work right for me either. But, I always use a BT headset (and use Handsent). You might want to try My Motospeak. It's kind of big, and a little flaky, but I've used it with my last phone and this one. It's supposed to be for Motorola headsets but I think it works with others. You just don't have access to the advanced features. It speaks the message to you, dictates a new one, plays it back, and sends it, all without touching anything. ...don't know why Moto doesn't build in this function!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestion, but I really don't get enough texts to bother with it. Just too bad a touted function is so unreliable

myRT

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

From what I understand from a recent test, 3rd party Sms apps won't work with driving assist.

Posted via my MotoX

Convert2

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
From experience using Handcent I know it won't read texts if that is set to the default sms app. Once I unchecked this in Handcent settings, Driving Assist worked as expected.

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
i have yet to have motorola assist work. i turned phone off/on several times, i turned gps/location services off/on numerous times and accepted the disclaimer it gives for gps. all the settings in assist is on. i even turned on the sleep mode to see if itll get calls/txts from non favorites, still doesnt work.

so yeah, motorola assist has been useless for me as its not working in any way. everything else on the phone works flawlessly except that feature.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
i have yet to have motorola assist work. i turned phone off/on several times, i turned gps/location services off/on numerous times and accepted the disclaimer it gives for gps. all the settings in assist is on. i even turned on the sleep mode to see if itll get calls/txts from non favorites, still doesnt work.

so yeah, motorola assist has been useless for me as its not working in any way. everything else on the phone works flawlessly except that feature.

Exactly. Sometimes it works...it will pop up something asking if want to listen to the text, but that kinda defeats the purpose as you have to see that before the screen goes dark. Also, a reply text that I am driving does not get sent.

I decided to waste a few minutes of my remaining life dialing up Motorola tech support, but they are pretty useless as well. After trying to explain this to the rep from Mumbai or someplace similar, he put me on hold saying he had to grab a device so he could give advice. After holding for about 5 minutes for him to do that I just hung up. I hate to think if I really needed some tech support for something that is more critical than drive assist

Camilo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I have kind of been watching this thread out of general interest, but not too much because my Driving mode has always worked perfectly.

I was looking into another issue on the Motorola Owner's Forum for Moto X, and found a similar thread with some solutions, maybe they'll help.

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/b477992950

If the link doesn't work, go to the Motorola website, and find the Moto X subforum of the Motorola Owners forums, if you can :cool:

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I have kind of been watching this thread out of general interest, but not too much because my Driving mode has always worked perfectly.

I was looking into another issue on the Motorola Owner's Forum for Moto X, and found a similar thread with some solutions, maybe they'll help.

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/b477992950

If the link doesn't work, go to the Motorola website, and find the Moto X subforum of the Motorola Owners forums, if you can :cool:

When you say it works perfectly, what do you mean? Does it read a text without any intervention? Mine puts up some kind of screen asking me to say "listen now", which is totally defeats the purpose of a drive mode. I did look at the thread you linked. There is NO doubt that this drive assist is an issue with the Moto X. Hopefully they fix it with some kind of update. Tech support is a joke...they have no clue what you're saying and good luck trying to understand the Mumbai or Bangladesh English they speak

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad