Hello Moto X, goodbye iPhone

gadgetman#CB

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys, just wanted to introduce myself and join the conversation here, got my custom (olive back, black front, silver handware, 32GB) Moto X Monday after ordering it Friday afternoon.

My brief story, I have had iPhones since the 3G (3G, 4, 4S, 5); I love the platform and use Macs and iPads, but I was frustrated with the bugginess of iOS 7, and bored with the hardware and OS design. I am a registered iOS developer and former Apple employee, and I do have a lot of time and money invested in the iOS ecosystem. While I've worn the Apple fanboy hat proudly in the past, I'm really all about finding the best tools for the job.

So far I am really liking this phone, I have tried Android phones before, all Samsung (OG Galaxy, S3, Note 2), and always returned them quickly. They were all too big and the OS lacked the polish of iOS. The active notifications and screen size/quality are the first tings that impress me.

I'm sure I'm going to have a bunch of questions, this always seems like a very helpful forum so thanks in advance!

First quesion; Twitter clients. I love Tweetbot on iOS, those of you that have used it know what I'm talking about. Is there anything close on Android?

I do use Tweebot on my iPad so Tweet Marker support is a priority for me, but I'm willing to bend on that for a better-looking, better-featured app.

I tried the official Twitter app, not many features that I want. TweetCaster has the features but the UI looks like crap (the 3d buttons, yikes).

I want easy access to favorites, custom retweets, inline pictures, picture only view, etc, like Tweetbot. The Tweetbot dev refuses to develop for Android.

Plume seems to meet my needs, but it keeps showing up as a separate icon when I try and share a photo instead of being in the share sheet. Maybe there is a way to stop Plume from doing this?

Any other good ones I'm missing? There seems to be dozens of Twitter apps.

Thanks again for your help in advance.

Brian

gadgetman#CB

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply, it seems that Falcon pro is not available from Google Play, it that correct? Is it safe to install apps from sources other than the Google Play store?

Carbon looks nice, do you know if has a white mode (as opposed to the always dark screens).

Thanks!

Brian

Kamron Erani

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply, it seems that Falcon pro is not available from Google Play, it that correct? Is it safe to install apps from sources other than the Google Play store?

Carbon looks nice, do you know if has a white mode (as opposed to the always dark screens).

Thanks!

Brian
It depends on the the apps you are trying to install, you don't want to install any fishy .apks on a blogspot page, but there are multiple app stores (amazon app store, applanet,blapkmarket,etc.), play store is just the biggest. Also I don't know anything about carbon, mainly because I don't use twitter, but if I were you I would give dark themes a chance. The Moto X is oled, so all the black pixels are turned off. So pure black wallpaper, black themed apps, will get you better screen on time. That's just me though, if you don't think you can get used to black themes it's no problem and it still has exceptional battery life.

anon(6085464)

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site

Thanks!

Brian

Falcon was pushed out of the store cause twitter ruined the app with the number of tokens so you have to get it from the site.

Check it out and if you like it let me know so i can help you with the process to install it and have it running.

It's the one i have been using for months now.

Also as mentioned black apps or themes help you out on the battery life.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Thanks!

Brian

I am a mac user too but when it comes to phones I am a huge fan of Nexus and have never owned any other phone.
That changed when Moto X came out. Its an amazing phone.....

about your question "Is it safe to install apps from sources other than the Google Play store" ?
It depends, its always safe to get apps from Playstore but there are certain situation where good developers are forced to remove their app from playstore.

One example is flash from Adobe, and its safe to download the flash apk from abode server.
similarly falcon pro developer has a good reputation so it should be safe to download from their website.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what iOS 7 did to make people think of android. I have had several co workers ask about the moto x and they all say iOS 7 is the reason. I dismissed it as a coincidences until my daughter told me she did not want to get the iPhone 5s and want to check out moto x....wow!

Sent from my Nexus 7

anon(6085464)

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what iOS 7 did to make people think of android. I have had several co workers ask about the moto x and they all say iOS 7 is the reason. I dismissed it as a coincidences until my daughter told me she did not want to get the iPhone 5s and want to check out moto x....wow!

Sent from my Nexus 7

#proudfathermoments

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Sent from my Nexus 7

I've heard a lot of people say this same thing. And it's not from a bad honeymoon phase, it's after a month of using it. My daughter has an iPod touch and she hates iOS 7. She asked if we could go back to iOS 6. This is what happens when you build a walled-in garden, Apple. Bring on the masses to Android!

gadgetman#CB

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Hey dude, please don't start Apple bashing, that's not why I started this thread. Both platforms have great features, functionality, potential and compromises. It's not a zero-sum game; everyone wins when there are competing thriving platforms.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Hey dude, please don't start Apple bashing, that's not why I started this thread. Both platforms have great features, functionality, potential and compromises. It's not a zero-sum game; everyone wins when there are competing thriving platforms.

All I was saying is that a lot of people don't like iOS 7. And the reason for it is that they had become so used to the same exact OS update after update and once they finally changed it somewhat people freaked out. That's a definite effect of the walled in garden that Apple has. I'm not bashing Apple, that's stating a fact. It's much more closed off than Android. You do things Apple's way or you don't do it. Again, not bashing, but stating a fact.

I like Apple, I'm just not going back until they loosen up the reigns a bit. I love Android for the ability to make the phone feel like mine. As opposed to my iPhone 5 which, aside from wallpaper, looked exactly like my 60 year old mother's phone. I had the 4, 4S, 5, and iPad mini. My wife has an iPad 4. We like Apple, just prefer Android. And I'm sorry if that came off as bashing.

TeknoBug

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I know a few people that got the new iPhone 5S, their biggest complaint is massive battery drain, of course earlier this week Apple acknowledged that they're aware of it. My mother and sister both has an iPhone 4/5 and they both have to charge their's more often than I ever do with my Androids.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I know a few people that got the new iPhone 5S, their biggest complaint is massive battery drain, of course earlier this week Apple acknowledged that they're aware of it. My mother and sister both has an iPhone 4/5 and they both have to charge their's more often than I ever do with my Androids.

A friend had the drain issue. Factory reset fixed the issue. They can go all day with like 4hrs screen time and still have 50% battery at the end of the day.

Posted via Android Central App

godwhomismike

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
gadgetman#CB -> Can you let me know what you think of the camera and video quality compared to your 4S and 5? I am an iPhone 4S user, who is due for an upgrade. I almost switched to a 5S this evening, but (I guess luckily) the store I was in tried to force me to take the AT&T Next program, and I walked out.

I am tired of the iPhone, and how it seems like Apple kills them with updates after two years. I am not a fan of iOS 7 either. I love the Moto X, but I am scared of the camera. On my 16GB iPhone 4S (12.8 GB useable), 9.6 GB of the storage is my photos and short videos. So, you can tell photo and video quality is important to me.

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Gadgetman#CB,
My son is deciding between the iphone 5s and Moto X. It is his 1st smart phone. He has an ipod touch so he is used to iOS and all of his friends have iphones. I am an Android guy but don't mind him getting the iphone. His biggest concern is texting. I read there can be a lot of issues when iphone users send group texts and MMS texts to an android user. The problem I have read about is that the android user will get the group text but when replying it will only go back to the sender not the entire group. Also, problems with MMS and pictures sent in group texts. It has something to do with the iphones using imessage I think. I think that the stock android text app has the problem but it works if using Handcent or Go SMS Pro. Can you or anyone else who gets group or MMS texts from iphone users please let me know if this is an issue? Thanks.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Gadgetman#CB,
My son is deciding between the iphone 5s and Moto X. It is his 1st smart phone. He has an ipod touch so he is used to iOS and all of his friends have iphones. I am an Android guy but don't mind him getting the iphone. His biggest concern is texting. I read there can be a lot of issues when iphone users send group texts and MMS texts to an android user. The problem I have read about is that the android user will get the group text but when replying it will only go back to the sender not the entire group. Also, problems with MMS and pictures sent in group texts. It has something to do with the iphones using imessage I think. I think that the stock android text app has the problem but it works if using Handcent or Go SMS Pro. Can you or anyone else who gets group or MMS texts from iphone users please let me know if this is an issue? Thanks.

This all changes with android 4.4 kit Kat. Hangouts can send MMS group messages properly to iOS and if his friends use hangouts they will all have the iMessage type feature. Kit kat should be on our phones soon.

Posted via Android Central App

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
None of his friends will likely be using hangouts. They are all using iphones. I'm not too familiar with how iphones send group texts and MMS though. Will he have problems now before the update to kit kat?

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
None of his friends will likely be using hangouts. They are all using iphones. I'm not too familiar with how iphones send group texts and MMS though. Will he have problems now before the update to kit kat?

I think that won't matter. Hangouts will be compatible with iPhone messaging and vice versa

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34