11-12-2013 07:28 AM
31 12
tools
    Well, I *** WAS *** considering upgrading to a Moto X, but VZW just killed all hope of doing that. The Moto X is currently $49 (VZW) at several online retailers. However, if I upgrade, there's a **** $30 **** upgrade fee (really?!). VZW has no interest in waiving the fee, I tried!

I will also lose my 4GB/month data plan and go down to 2GB. When I signed up with VZW two-years ago, they had a special that I got 4GB data for the 2GB price. I probably don't use that much data, but still. It's the whole idea of losing 2GB of data!
    The data situation definitely sucks. I have AT&T so I am not completely sure how much sweet talking can be done to Verizon cust service but you might talk them into a reoccurring bill credit or something for the trouble.

Unfortunately the upgrade fee is always going to be there like you said regardless of carrier. It's just many of the ways carriers make free money off of their customers. Back in the day they used to waive it if you asked but now it's pretty much set in stone. Many people on here will tell you to just "go prepaid" or "buy it outright" but many people like myself need reliable service and don't mind paying more a month to get it.

As I said I am not sure how much power the Verizon cust service reps have but with AT&T when I did my last upgrade I called and asked for the fee to be waived and was told it is not something their system allows. I then asked for some sort of compensation to equal the fee since I was going to be spending another two years handing over my hard earned money and they did throw me a 30 dollar courtesy credit.

The fees suck but at the end of the day what can you do

Aside from all of that, you will love the Moto X, it's the best phone i've ever had (and I've had a lot of phones)
    weksa likes this.
    11-01-2013 09:59 PM
    I've had my Moto X now for only a week and I love it! I can't see how I can ever go to a phone that does not have active notifications!

VZW already added the $30 fee to my bill. They didn't waste any time. I'll try giving them a call this week and see if I can talk them into dropping the fee.
    11-11-2013 05:06 PM
    I've had my Moto X now for only a week and I love it! I can't see how I can ever go to a phone that does not have active notifications!

VZW already added the $30 fee to my bill. They didn't waste any time. I'll try giving them a call this week and see if I can talk them into dropping the fee.
    I agree. The Moto X is definitely the best device I've owned since the Nokia N95 back in the day.
    11-11-2013 05:21 PM
    It's a bummer that as long as you are having the carrier subsidize the cost of the phone in exchange for a contract that you have to play the fees game - but that's how it works. Of course, the real stinker is that VZW (and other big guys?) don't discount the price when you bring your own device, since you're not paying off the subsidy over time. On the other hand...I bought the Moto X from eBay, basically new, for $400. I will sell my old Razr M on eBay. I'll probably end up spending the same after all is said and done as I would've with the subsidized price, but I get to keep my unlimited data.
    11-11-2013 07:01 PM
    Yeah. I lost a "4GB for the price of 2GB" by upgrading.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    11-11-2013 07:04 PM
    Yeah. I lost a "4GB for the price of 2GB" by upgrading.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Sorry to hear that...I bought my X yesterday and was able to finagle the rep into adding a $10 a month line onto my account so I could keep unlimited data (i use about 10gb a month). Now I have this $10 a month line which I'll use as my "upgrading line" from now on.
    11-12-2013 07:28 AM
31 12