I was going to upgrade, but not anymore.

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, I *** WAS *** considering upgrading to a Moto X, but VZW just killed all hope of doing that. The Moto X is currently $49 (VZW) at several online retailers. However, if I upgrade, there's a **** $30 **** upgrade fee (really?!). VZW has no interest in waiving the fee, I tried!

I will also lose my 4GB/month data plan and go down to 2GB. When I signed up with VZW two-years ago, they had a special that I got 4GB data for the 2GB price. I probably don't use that much data, but still. It's the whole idea of losing 2GB of data!

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Oh, that sucks. I have 10GB for the price of 5. I didn't realize you lost that. Damn, I guess I'm not upgrading either. "Just buy it unlocked". That's cute. Yeah, $650 is chump change for most people. ;)

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, I *** WAS *** considering upgrading to a Moto X, but VZW just killed all hope of doing that. The Moto X is currently $49 (VZW) at several online retailers. However, if I upgrade, there's a **** $30 **** upgrade fee (really?!). VZW has no interest in waiving the fee, I tried!

I will also lose my 4GB/month data plan and go down to 2GB. When I signed up with VZW two-years ago, they had a special that I got 4GB data for the 2GB price. I probably don't use that much data, but still. It's the whole idea of losing 2GB of data!
The thing is you cant ignore this problem for ever and not upgrade. but you could go prepaid with T-Mobile

dpw2atox

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
If you use your phone for work you might be able to get them to let you keep the 4GB or even give you 5GB under a corporate enabled plan. You have to though first be enrolled in a company discount and call up customer support. Otherwise you're stuck unfortunately paying full price if you want to keep your 4GB.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

Side note, have you compared prices with a new plan? I just looked and mine would be the same with a share everything plan. 10GB is $140/month + my current company discount = the same $105 I pay now.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I think it's BS that carriers are charging money to activate new phones for existing customers. Actually Verizon was one of the last to hold out.
Look at phones on swappa. It's what I did.

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I am in a position to purchase a phone off contract. I would have to do a contracted phone.

FWIW My current phone is a Droid Razr XT912

I am looking at other carriers, but T-Mobile does not have the Moto X

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Side note, have you compared prices with a new plan? I just looked and mine would be the same with a share everything plan. 10GB is $140/month + my current company discount = the same $105 I pay now.

If I switched to AT&T I'll be saving some $$ ... about $20(ish)/month

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

The $30 upgrade fee is nothing compared to the data loss. Can someone explain this whole data issue with verizon? I read about it here and there but don't get it, is it that they don't offer plans with 4GB or unltd data anymore and once you use your upgrade you're not allowed to have your grandfathered plan?

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm not most people.

ETA: Sorry... didn't see the wink ;)
LOL! Yeah, I'm all for not having a contract but a $650 device every couple of years is steep for me. I'd do anyway on Verizon if they knocked $10 or $20 a month off of my bill like T-Mo did when I bought my Vibrant outright.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The $30 upgrade fee is nothing compared to the data loss. Can someone explain this whole data issue with verizon? I read about it here and there but don't get it, is it that they don't offer plans with 4GB or unltd data anymore and once you use your upgrade you're not allowed to have your grandfathered plan?

Yup, you basically got it ,if you upgrade a phone now,the phone you upgrade on vzw you loose your unlimited plan for that phone.Thats even if you were grandfathered in
They still might be a loophole about adding a dumb phone and then switching lines that works but I really havent kept up with that thread.
Someone thats done this would be able to add more info on that and if it still works. :)
There have been serveral "glitches" that have allowed some to get around loosing their unlimited data when they recently upgraded their phone(s), but the "glitch" has since been fixed

I guess at times VZW might have a limited offer for deals on data as an option for them as well, such as double your data 4 GB for price of 2GB

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I would consider going to AT&T, but they have a $36 activation fee per line (2 lines for me and my wife). They also have a $36 upgrade fee per line. :(

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Yup, you basically got it ,if you upgrade a phone now,the phone you upgrade on vzw you loose your unlimited plan for that phone.Thats even if you were grandfathered in
They still might be a loophole about adding a dumb phone and then switching lines that works but I really havent kept up with that thread.
Someone thats done this would be able to add more info on that and if it still works. :)
There have been serveral "glitches" that have allowed some to get around loosing their unlimited data when they recently upgraded their phone(s), but the "glitch" has since been fixed

I guess at times VZW might have a limited offer for deals on data as an option for them as well, such as double your data 4 GB for price of 2GB

It would be so worth doing the work around, hello! Good luck. And if ATT is the same coverage, while $36 sucks, you save $20/mo you said, right? F verizon, they are just rude, taking away people's data, lol.

PLEASE make sure the coverage is equal though before switching, too make people make the mistake of not doing that.

sunburned

May 1, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile does have the Moto X FYI

Then tell T-Mobile! :)

I don't see it on their webpage and the customer service "web chat" agent didn't know about it.

It was well published that T-mobile would not sell the Moto X on their website and that you had to buy it through Motorola.

I guess the customer service person you talked to was just clueless in general.