11-10-2013 10:24 PM
153 1234 ...
tools
    So true, I have yet to kill the phone. Two days ago I used the phone like crazy and actually got it to 1% at around 8pm (my classes end at 10pm). The phone kept going on 1% until I got home, even then it didn't die, but I still plugged it in. So heads up to everyone, when your X is at 1% it really is at like 25%
    No, when the phone is at 1%, its really at 1%. :P

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    11-01-2013 04:02 PM
    You really can't go wrong with either device. Ive just moved on from the N4 to the Moto X. Personally, the clean Android interface offered by both is all I find acceptable. Having had the Galaxy Nexus, then the Nexus 4, I found myself growing less interested in romming/theming/rooting. I want good hardware and a stable OS. Will I get a Nexus 5 someday? Only if the features I need more than anything else can't be had on the Moto X. Otherwise, Im good to go till next year!
    Pollster and huntnyc like this.
    11-01-2013 04:16 PM
    Yeah I went with the Nexus 5. If the Nexus 5 was not launch by the weekend, I wouldve got the Moto X (off contract). It does suck that the Nexus does not have the touchless control. I am going to use the Nexus for a year and maybe get the Moto X 2 next yr. The price different these two phones (32GB) is about $130 more for the moto x thats with tax and shipping.
    11-01-2013 07:55 PM
    Yeah I went with the Nexus 5. If the Nexus 5 was not launch by the weekend, I wouldve got the Moto X (off contract). It does suck that the Nexus does not have the touchless control. I am going to use the Nexus for a year and maybe get the Moto X 2 next yr. The price different these two phones (32GB) is about $130 more for the moto x thats with tax and shipping.
    Yep I got the 32GB Moto X the day the price was reduced on moto maker so I paid just under 575 for the Moto X and 445 for the 32GB Nexus 5. The price on the Nexus is really nice and the Moto X is worth it too for no commitment!
    11-01-2013 08:03 PM
    I thought about making this very thread. I have the Moto X and I am in love with the phone. Great Size, easy to use 1 handed. Updates from Motorola/Google have been great and 4.4 on the way. My cam takes much better pictures than when I first got the phone. The touchless control, notifications, and always on screen are the best features ever.
    But... this Nexus 5 is taunting me so bad.
    I would have to sell the Moto X to get the Nexus 5 and I just can't make myself do it. In fact, I went with an all white AT&T 16GB model. I have actually thought about selling the Moto, paying the ETF on the line and getting another one at 32GB using Moto Maker and coloring the phone the way I like it.

Ugh, I want the Nexus but can't give up my Moto X...
    11-01-2013 09:20 PM
    I thought about making this very thread. I have the Moto X and I am in love with the phone. Great Size, easy to use 1 handed. Updates from Motorola/Google have been great and 4.4 on the way. My cam takes much better pictures than when I first got the phone. The touchless control, notifications, and always on screen are the best features ever.
    I would have to sell the Moto X to get the Nexus 5 and I just can't make myself do it. In fact, I went with an all white AT&T 16GB model. I have actually thought about selling the Moto, paying the ETF on the line and getting another one at 32GB using Moto Maker and coloring the phone the way I like it.

I've had the same thoughts. After I got the Moto X I told myself the only device that "might" catch my eye would be the N5. To be honest I am so so about it. It looks very nice but the form factor would be a downgrade in my option. Sure it's a slightly larger display but it's a huge device compared to the X. I love my active notifications and Motorola Connect too much to let them go. I know they say the S800 will handle power consumption much better but I am still skeptical of that size battery pushing a 5 inch 1080p display. I hope I am wrong and the battery life is great on the N5 but for now I have slight reservation. If I could have both I definitely would but like you I would have to get rid of my X to fund the N5 and at this point it's just not happening.
    11-01-2013 09:35 PM
    I couldnt give up my Moto X knowing how smooth and lag free it is for a phone that I wont know how it will perform. Also yup I have had Nexus phone before and liked.But that was then and this is now.

sent from Moto X
    11-02-2013 12:01 AM
    Every time I pick up someone else's phone to check the time I get disappointed that the active notifications didn't activate. I couldn't take the disappointment every time I took my phone out of my pocket.
    weksa and RayMabry like this.
    11-02-2013 12:47 AM
    After looking at a few early reviews of the N5 I'm still not certain what the attraction is other than 4.4, which the Moto X will have. Yea the specs are impressive, but I can't imagine a faster or smoother operating device than the X.
    11-02-2013 09:19 AM

If you sell, you have to pay an ETF?
    11-02-2013 09:20 AM
    I will still be getting the Moto X over the Nexus 5.

1. Active Display
    2. Touchless Notifications.
    3. Moto Assist.
    4. Camera gesture
    5. Form factor
    6. Next generation of hardware orientation philosophy.

The Nexus approach just doesn't get my undies twisted like it used to.
    11-02-2013 10:35 AM
    Thats true the Nexus isnt some sort of "magical phone"
    Having had a Nexus phone rooted and romed,as well as other phones rooted and romed.I coudnt tell a difference between them.

Im all for people getting the phone they wish ,its your money buy whatever you want and I wish you the best of luck and enjoyment with it.

As previous mentioned Im sticking with my Moto X, it was rooted shortly after I purchased it . I rooted it with "Moto root"but I didnt keep it rooted long there really wasnt a reason for me to leave it rooted.
    I have no lag with these phone and really dig the active notifications and touchless controls.
    After I unrooted I just disabled the apps that I didnt use and that were "safe" to disable.
    After the maintance update ,and then the more recent update of the camera and touchless controls via playstore. I feel this phone will get timely support for awhile to come.It seems Google/Motorola has fiqured out a way to update parts of the phone that by pass carrier interference.
    tonymhoffman likes this.
    11-02-2013 10:49 AM
    After looking at a few early reviews of the N5 I'm still not certain what the attraction is other than 4.4, which the Moto X will have. Yea the specs are impressive, but I can't imagine a faster or smoother operating device than the X.
    For me it is the larger screen, faster updates and Google Wallet. I have used it regularly on previous nexus devices.

The things I like on the Moto x are touch less control, active notifications and battery life. Oh and that vibrate mode is outstanding! If you cannot feel the Moto x vibrating, you have nerve damage.

I am fortunate in being able to get both. I usually have at least two devices to switch between and I am looking forward to have these two devices for a while.

Sent from my Moto X!
    davidnc likes this.
    11-02-2013 11:05 AM
    I agree on the Google wallet and hoping as AC reported that Google has found a method which will allow most of the android phones to use before long.
    I have had Google Wallet on the last 2 android phones I had.Its really the only thing I miss currently.

I use to have 2 phones as well (just for me)but had to cut back on bills.
    planoman likes this.
    11-02-2013 11:35 AM

You don't Have to, but I like to keep my plan down to 3 lines if possible just to keep my average cost per month down.
    4th lines for me are always temporary lines while I buying and selling phones.
    Most phones will sell for enough to pay the ETF if you use them for 3-5 months before moving onto the next big thing.
    I have discovered I am a phone junkie. I don't know that I will ever keep a phone for more than 6 months ever again.
    I still would love to try an LG G2, a Note 3, a Nexus 5, and a BB Z30, and Nokia 1520 lol.
    I won't make it to all those phones before something else comes out. The Note 3 is at the top of that list since I have never had a device so large and the Nexus 5.

My game works like this:
    I add line 4 with new device after having line 3 for 3-6 months. I sell whatever the old phone is on line 3 and pay the ETF on that line.
    ETF starts at $350 and goes down $10 a month.
    When I ETF line 3, being 3-6 months old, I pay around $300 ETF +/- a few bucks. Rinse and repeat.
    Works for me and I don't have to have any device more than 6 months.

My plan its a grandfathered AT&T 700 min. $69.99 where each line is $9.99 a month. I have an old Motorola Razor flip phone left over that I use as a placeholder since it doesn't have a data package. And whatever phone I have at the time gets moved to my primary line.
    Takes a little work but the end results are new toys basically whenever I want them.
    benhmadison likes this.
    11-02-2013 12:00 PM
    Every time I pick up someone else's phone to check the time I get disappointed that the active notifications didn't activate. I couldn't take the disappointment every time I took my phone out of my pocket.
    Yeah. I spent like four months using an HTC one daily , Now on a moto x. The moto x spoils you. Seriously hard to live without active display after you get used to it.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2
    11-02-2013 01:00 PM
    For me it is the larger screen, faster updates and Google Wallet. I have used it regularly on previous nexus devices.

The things I like on the Moto x are touch less control, active notifications and battery life. Oh and that vibrate mode is outstanding! If you cannot feel the Moto x vibrating, you have nerve damage.

I am fortunate in being able to get both. I usually have at least two devices to switch between and I am looking forward to have these two devices for a while.

Sent from my Moto X!
    That is fortunate. Do you swap sims or do you have 2 accounts?
    11-02-2013 01:05 PM
    I haven't had a chance to play with the Nexus 5 yet -

but based on what I've seen so far from hands-ons plus the spec sheet -

• I don't want nor need a phone of that size. I want a phone that's the size of the Moto X or smaller.
    • 1080 vs 720 is irrelevant to me at screens of this size 4.5" through 5.5".
    • SAMOLED vs LCD - I'd rather have an AMOLED screen mainly due to Motorola's Active Notifications feature
    • In the cases where I've used Touchless Control I don't touch the phone. "OK Google Now" with the screen off (and phone unlocked) trumps "OK Google" with the phone on AND on the homescreen. Plus, any new commands built into Google Now will for the most part automatically be added to anyone using Google Now unless it's KitKat specific.
    • The Moto X camera is constantly improving. It's been good enough for my use. I've received a lot of compliments on it when using it with my family and friends.
    • Motorola Skip and Trusted Bluetooth could probably be replaced by other apps but I like the convenience.
    davidnc, Postoid and weksa like this.
    11-02-2013 01:07 PM

You don't Have to, but I like to keep my plan down to 3 lines if possible just to keep my average cost per month down.
    4th lines for me are always temporary lines while I buying and selling phones.
    Most phones will sell for enough to pay the ETF if you use them for 3-5 months before moving onto the next big thing.
    I have discovered I am a phone junkie. I don't know that I will ever keep a phone for more than 6 months ever again.
    I still would love to try an LG G2, a Note 3, a Nexus 5, and a BB Z30, and Nokia 1520 lol.
    I won't make it to all those phones before something else comes out. The Note 3 is at the top of that list since I have never had a device so large and the Nexus 5.

My game works like this:
    I add line 4 with new device after having line 3 for 3-6 months. I sell whatever the old phone is on line 3 and pay the ETF on that line.
    ETF starts at $350 and goes down $10 a month.
    When I ETF line 3, being 3-6 months old, I pay around $300 ETF +/- a few bucks. Rinse and repeat.
    Works for me and I don't have to have any device more than 6 months.

My plan its a grandfathered AT&T 700 min. $69.99 where each line is $9.99 a month. I have an old Motorola Razor flip phone left over that I use as a placeholder since it doesn't have a data package. And whatever phone I have at the time gets moved to my primary line.
    Takes a little work but the end results are new toys basically whenever I want them.
    That sounds pretty cool, but a lot of work..at least for this senior. Does that mean you have to constantly be changing phone #'s or do you use the "placemat" as your prime #?
    11-02-2013 01:08 PM
    That is fortunate. Do you swap sims or do you have 2 accounts?
    I swap the SIM. Had to go to a Nano for the Moto X but have a good adapter I use for Micro SIM phones like the Nexus 5.
    11-02-2013 03:48 PM
    That sounds pretty cool, but a lot of work..at least for this senior. Does that mean you have to constantly be changing phone #'s or do you use the "placemat" as your prime #?
    I always move whatever phone I am using to my primary phone number and I keep the same number.
    I ETF lines 3 and 4 all the time and just use placeholder phones on those lines while they are active.
    It's not really much work. I sell local using Craigslist using Google Voice number for that so they don't have my real primary phone number.
    I meet them at AT&T usually (always in a public place)
    I carry a money marker (checks to make sure bills are real) and I make sure I add no pay pal, no mailing, no checks and spell out some of the numbers to keep spam down.
    I still usually get 10 of those (1/3) messages from some scammer... you know.. the ones like this:
    1/3 I would love to buy your phone, however, I am in the hospital and would like you to mail the phone to my son in Tim Buck Two....
    I will include an extra $100 for your trouble...

blah blah blah - ya right.

I always respond to those with " Sure, you mail CASH in a box with a return label to address you want the phone mailed to, once the cash is received I will mail the phone to you"
    I never hear back from them again lol
    fldude99 likes this.
    11-02-2013 04:06 PM
    I haven't seen too much with the Active Notifications, but I thought the N5 had touchless Nexus 5 Features Touchless Controls Like the Moto X
    11-02-2013 05:03 PM
    Well for $350 off contract just use both I will certainly be picking one up!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    11-02-2013 05:46 PM
    I haven't seen too much with the Active Notifications, but I thought the N5 had touchless Nexus 5 Features Touchless Controls Like the Moto X
    Its only touchless when the screen is on, it doesn't have the "always listening" feature.

The Moto X rules all, its the most forward thinking phone on the market. Motorola came up with a feature set and hardware package that nobody else has.
    11-02-2013 05:48 PM
    The "always listening" does bug me a bit. I mean, yeah, my devices could be doing that now, but the X explicitly does it. I know the Moto X has it built in, so it doesn't have to report back, but still... I do like it's other features, apart from the price tag compared to the N5 though. And, the N5 has Sprint Spark, and I am lucky enough to be in/near a Spark city, so I can play with that too. It's a toss-up. That, and I want Moto Maker for non-AT&Pay phones.
    11-02-2013 06:58 PM
153 1234 ...